Maroon Lake Permit

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 193 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Maroon Lake Permit

Post by Camden7 »

Hello! Does anyone have a Maroon Lake parking permit for next weekend (may 28/29) that they might not use? I am hoping to finish the cents this year, and want to do thunder pyramid as a snow climb but this is my only opportunity and I missed out on a permit. Also, does anyone have ideas for avoiding the permit system and/or how well is it enforced? Last year we rolled in at 3 am with a permit and felt that we didn’t need one. Anyway, Day permits, midnight to midnight, or overnight will do. Thanks so much!
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Maroon Lake Permit

Post by cottonmountaineering »

you can park lower down on the road and ride your bike up
Anima
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 201 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Anima »

In 2020, a friend of mine parked his car at the trailhead without a permit. A ranger left a note on his car, but that is all that happened. It was on a weekday and it was clear not everyone had shown up who held a permit so there was plenty of parking. I'd imagine they have gotten stricter about it with more and more traffic to the area. If they ran out of parking spots, I'd assume they'd tow your car and you'd really piss off the people who bought the permits. On such a popular weekend, I bet a bunch of people park without permits which may convince the rangers to pursue prosecution, whatever that may be.

With all the different types of permits and different objectives (photography, hiking, climbing, etc.) I doubt the parking lot completely fills up on a regular basis. But when I did Thunder and Lightning, on a Monday (June 7, 2021), there were only two open spots in the parking lot when I returned. Of course, at 4 am, I was the only person in the parking lot.

I have permits for the second weekend in June. If you happen to be around, PM and maybe we can make something work as I'll be climbing some lower 13ers from the Maroon Bells trailhead. Hopefully, the snow will stick around long enough.
What is real will prosper.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I can't imagine Crestone Peak being a walkup. I remember finding interesting scrambling just approaching the Peak from the Cottonwood Lake side, and the scrambling to the summit being quite steep and enjoyable. Snow in the couloir on the south side made for some creative moves to utilize/avoid. Even that approach trail from Crestone towards Cottonwood Lake is... interesting. The NW Couloir is of course much harder, as is the traverse.

I'm guessing my routefinding skillz are trash.
Camden7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

Anima wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:33 pm

I have permits for the second weekend in June. If you happen to be around, PM and maybe we can make something work as I'll be climbing some lower 13ers from the Maroon Bells trailhead. Hopefully, the snow will stick around long enough.
Thanks a lot for trying to work with me but I will actually be in Peru then, and TP would hopefully be part of my acclimatization for that. Your info is really helpful. Good luck out there in June and thanks!
-climbers’ adage
Camden7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

justiner wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 pm. The NW Couloir is of course much harder
Posted on the wrong strand? Hehe anyway I descended the northwest Couloir when I climbed Crestone and agree it is a very serious route, with high exposure, route-finding, and difficult climbing. In terms of Crestone being a walk up, I am very comfortable on low 3rd class terrain and would consider many “semi-technical” 14ers walk ups. I dunno. Crestone felt easy to me.
-climbers’ adage
Camden7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

One more time, anyone have a permit they aren’t using?
-climbers’ adage
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

If the weather foils your plans, or things don't pan out, I do have a permit for July 29th, August 12th, and 19th. I could meet you at the intercept lot at Brush Creek at midnight and head in any of these dates. If I can't make it I'll just give you the pass.
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

there is a permit on line for tomorrow
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
Camden7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

Must have just missed it… thanks so much for the offer! If I can’t make something else work I will totally take you up on that!
-climbers’ adage