Grays/Torreys

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
debo
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Grays/Torreys

Post by debo »

Hey gang! Sorry if this has been posted. I couldn’t find anything looking through other posts. I plan to hike G/T this Friday morning early. I was just curious if anyone knew what the least crowded route would be. Thanks!
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Grays/Torreys

Post by constipated_pete »

There’s another route that starts at loveland pass but it’s harder, longer, and more committing. There’s also a really cool scramble up Kelso ridge, but it’s more of a climb than a hike. If you’re getting started on 14ers then the standard route up Steven’s gulch is really the way to go! It can be crowded but it’s still beautiful and really enjoyable.
pleiades
14ers: 5 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pleiades »

What about Grays from the South?
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=gray8
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

debo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:36 pm Hey gang! Sorry if this has been posted. I couldn’t find anything looking through other posts. I plan to hike G/T this Friday morning early. I was just curious if anyone knew what the least crowded route would be. Thanks!
Look into the route from the Argentine Pass TH. I just did it a couple of weeks ago and loved it cuz of so few people. You’ll of course encounter mass population when you arrive Grays summit and also over at Torreys, but MUCH fewer people on the trail up. Two nice lakes in area too. ‘‘Twas lovely on Argentine Pass side while Stevens Gulch was Humans. Road in to TH not bad either. 7-8 miles RT for trail. Have fun!
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

greenonion wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:54 pm
debo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:36 pm Hey gang! Sorry if this has been posted. I couldn’t find anything looking through other posts. I plan to hike G/T this Friday morning early. I was just curious if anyone knew what the least crowded route would be. Thanks!
Look into the route from the Argentine Pass TH. I just did it a couple of weeks ago and loved it cuz of so few people. You’ll of course encounter mass population when you arrive Grays summit and also over at Torreys, but MUCH fewer people on the trail up. Two nice lakes in area too. ‘‘Twas lovely on Argentine Pass side while Stevens Gulch was Humans. Road in to TH not bad either. 7-8 miles RT for trail. Have fun!
Edit - I just noticed the sub-forum, "info for beginners," and in light of that probably the best advice that I can give is "standard route, on a week day, start early."

Comparing the Argentine Pass TH and Loveland Pass options: they are roughly similar in terms of distance, vertical gain and commitment - certainly more than the standard route in both cases - but the Argentine Pass TH route has 2 arguable disadvantages:

-harder TH to get to (the above poster is correct that it isn't too bad, but the Loveland Pass TH is much more accessible)

-somewhat spicier climb - not too bad, but the traverse from Edwards to Grays is 2 plus in sections, with some exposure, and it's possible to get into some class 3 terrain if you're not careful, whereas the route from Loveland pass is easier - the climb up Grizzly looks worse than it is, and while the climb up Torreys from that direction is steep and somewhat loose, it is overall easier than the traverse from Edwards to Grays. (I'm sure many others will chime in with "it's not too bad" - and they are right. But since the OP appears to perhaps be less experienced, he should be aware.)

Also, if you take the Argentine Pass option, make sure you are at the right TH - the one you want is on the west side of the pass, coming from Keystone. You probably don't want to mess with the approach from the east side unless you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle. (Though if you have a really stout vehicle you can get all the way up to the pass from the east - but where is the fun in that?)(Of course you could also start at Guanella Pass - but that's likely a bit more than you're looking for.)

That said, both options will give you the solitude that you want.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

LarryM wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:31 pm
Edit - I just noticed the sub-forum, "info for beginners," and in light of that probably the best advice that I can give is "standard route, on a week day, start early."

Comparing the Argentine Pass TH and Loveland Pass options: they are roughly similar in terms of distance, vertical gain and commitment - certainly more than the standard route in both cases - but the Argentine Pass TH route has 2 arguable disadvantages:

-harder TH to get to (the above poster is correct that it isn't too bad, but the Loveland Pass TH is much more accessible)

-somewhat spicier climb - not too bad, but the traverse from Edwards to Grays is 2 plus in sections, with some exposure, and it's possible to get into some class 3 terrain if you're not careful, whereas the route from Loveland pass is easier - the climb up Grizzly looks worse than it is, and while the climb up Torreys from that direction is steep and somewhat loose, it is overall easier than the traverse from Edwards to Grays. (I'm sure many others will chime in with "it's not too bad" - and they are right. But since the OP appears to perhaps be less experienced, he should be aware.)

Also, if you take the Argentine Pass option, make sure you are at the right TH - the one you want is on the west side of the pass, coming from Keystone. You probably don't want to mess with the approach from the east side unless you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle. (Though if you have a really stout vehicle you can get all the way up to the pass from the east - but where is the fun in that?)(Of course you could also start at Guanella Pass - but that's likely a bit more than you're looking for.)

What on earth?!?!?! You're seriously recommending the route from Loveland Pass for a beginner???? That's around 6,300ft of elevation gain round trip with around 1,700ft of that being regain on the way back! I'm decently fit with lots of peaks under my belt and the only way I got that route done was as a carpool. Spare me the stories of all you thru-hikers who say it's not too bad - we're talking a beginner here - let's not give SAR more work by sending someone new to the mountains on a death march like that!!!

And please note that Argentine Pass TH is the starting point for Grays Peak - South Ridge and it starts down in the valley - not from the Pass itself. That South Ridge route is an easy class 2 route that avoids the entire route between Grays/Edwards (I did it as a descent after doing some class 3 up on the Ruby Traverse). Getting to that Argentine Pass TH is easy 4WD. Getting to Argentine Pass itself is not.

So Grays Peak South Ridge could fit the bill for the route requested (just don't descend to Ruby by mistake) but no way would I recommend the route from either pass to someone just getting started in the mountains.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

daway8 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:02 am
LarryM wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:31 pm

What on earth?!?!?! You're seriously recommending the route from Loveland Pass for a beginner???? That's around 6,300ft of elevation gain round trip with around 1,700ft of that being regain on the way back! I'm decently fit with lots of peaks under my belt and the only way I got that route done was as a carpool. Spare me the stories of all you thru-hikers who say it's not too bad - we're talking a beginner here - let's not give SAR more work by sending someone new to the mountains on a death march like that!!!

And please note that Argentine Pass TH is the starting point for Grays Peak - South Ridge and it starts down in the valley - not from the Pass itself. That South Ridge route is an easy class 2 route that avoids the entire route between Grays/Edwards (I did it as a descent after doing some class 3 up on the Ruby Traverse). Getting to that Argentine Pass TH is easy 4WD. Getting to Argentine Pass itself is not.

So Grays Peak South Ridge could fit the bill for the route requested (just don't descend to Ruby by mistake) but no way would I recommend the route from either pass to someone just getting started in the mountains.
While I have not done the route from Loveland Pass I was wondering about the wisdom in suggesting it to a possible beginner (apologize if you are not, op). And not really sure why Edwards was mentioned since it can be avoided and is not needed to summit Grays or Torreys from this trailhead. Don't mean to nit pick, just not clear on some details mentioned.

Would like to clarify and re-align the discussion here so as to avoid possible confusion to the OP. Daway and I are talking about this Argentine Pass route https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=gray3 . The trailhead and route do not include the actual Argentine Pass anywhere on the route to Grays. The pass is simply in the area (on the right/east generally as you begin the trail toward Grays). Using the route description (and map) I included for Argentine Pass should give the accurate picture of the Argentine Pass TH route. Note: There will probably be people on that route, just roughly 400 jillion less of them than on standard route through Stevens Gulch. Loveland Pass route would be good solitude too, but probably quite a bit tougher in mileage and total vertical from what I've heard on this site.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I have to agree with daway8. If the OP is a newbie, just stop all the talk about alternate routes. Take the standard route and call it good. If you want solitude go on a Wednesday uber early.

All the talk about the Loveland Pass route is a bunch of flexing in the mirror. Its long and tiring and all above 12,000 ft. And a big commitment with the only off-ramp as the summit itself. Don't make the evening news.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The Loveland Pass approach is 13 miles and 9 uphill segments. The constant uphill was more tiring than the longer distance compared to the classic hike.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Loveland Pass route is best winter route for those peaks.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 am Loveland Pass route is best winter route for those peaks.
Yes, it is the safest way to snowflake G/T but only if you're up for a really big day (or carpool it and willow bash like I did).

The OP *appears* to be relatively new to the mountains thus my perhaps overly excited response earlier about recommending the route to people who haven't done big days in the mountains yet (that's what happens when I'm online before dragging myself out of bed, lol)
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

pleiades wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:46 pm What about Grays from the South?
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=gray8
I used this approach the first time I did Grays after reading it in Roach's book, and thinking Stevens Gulch road was too rough. Less crowded for sure, but harder and more route finding. I got way off route, heading up Chihuahua Gulch and not Ruby, because the road was a raging stream past the crossing, and didn't make sense to follow.

I eventually ascended the very loose scree up to the G/T saddle, got to Grays, and somehow ended up descending to Horseshoe basin (Argentine pass TH as mentioned), thinking the shoe basin mine was the cabin in the description.
I bought a GPS the next week.

From Horseshoe basin is a nice alternative, longer drive, but to get Torreys you come back over Grays. Camping is more limited now.

Going standard route a weekday in fall should be less crowded.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"