Grays/Torreys

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Grays/Torreys

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

daway8 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:36 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 am Loveland Pass route is best winter route for those peaks.
Yes, it is the safest way to snowflake G/T but only if you're up for a really big day (or carpool it and willow bash like I did).
2 14ers, only 11 miles and no long snowshoe approach is pretty easy by winter standards.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:57 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 am Loveland Pass route is best winter route for those peaks.
Yes, it is the safest way to snowflake G/T but only if you're up for a really big day (or carpool it and willow bash like I did).
2 14ers, only 11 miles and no long snowshoe approach is pretty easy by winter standards.
Yes, by winter standards I totally agree - and it's sweet getting 2 (or potentially even 3) 13ers thrown in.

My comments were simply geared to the fact that this thread started for someone seemingly new to the mountains and I wanted to make sure that anyone not accustomed to multi-peak days didn't get mislead into thinking this was a great "starter" route, since it's not (lots of folks go up just Grays and lack the energy to continue even to Torreys...)

But for someone like you who writes trip reports with titles like "Little Bear West Ridge to Blanca and Hamilton," yeah G/T from Loveland Pass is probably a warmup you do before breakfast! :lol: (btw, that West Ridge is now on my radar with a possible South Little Bear add-on which I've been meaning to research to see if it has the right level of spice for me or not after enjoying NE Crestone from the CP side... thread drift...)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

For Pete's sake, constipated or not, just look into the Argentine Pass Trailhead route if you want less people, straightforward road and trail, and a pretty hike in non-winter conditions. I saw 5 mountain goats as well!!
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

greenonion wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:41 am For Pete's sake, constipated or not, just look into the Argentine Pass Trailhead route if you want less people, straightforward road and trail, and a pretty hike in non-winter conditions. I saw 5 mountain goats as well!!
Attachments
1E487098-BE8C-44A0-A7F1-F3FBB232AEB0.jpeg
1E487098-BE8C-44A0-A7F1-F3FBB232AEB0.jpeg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Thamilton1233
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Thamilton1233 »

debo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:36 pm Hey gang! Sorry if this has been posted. I couldn’t find anything looking through other posts. I plan to hike G/T this Friday morning early. I was just curious if anyone knew what the least crowded route would be. Thanks!

Good luck with the weather!! Looks like a wet one this weekend. Hope you find some sunshine to make the journey!!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

daway8 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:21 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Yes, by winter standards I totally agree - and it's sweet getting 2 (or potentially even 3) 13ers thrown in.

My comments were simply geared to the fact that this thread started for someone seemingly new to the mountains and I wanted to make sure that anyone not accustomed to multi-peak days didn't get mislead into thinking this was a great "starter" route, since it's not (lots of folks go up just Grays and lack the energy to continue even to Torreys...)

But for someone like you who writes trip reports with titles like "Little Bear West Ridge to Blanca and Hamilton," yeah G/T from Loveland Pass is probably a warmup you do before breakfast! :lol: (btw, that West Ridge is now on my radar with a possible South Little Bear add-on which I've been meaning to research to see if it has the right level of spice for me or not after enjoying NE Crestone from the CP side... thread drift...)
Yeah sorry, I drifted a bit there too with winter talk.
The traverse to South Little Bear can be kept to class 3 if you take the ledge system. However, you'll find plenty of class 4 spice if you stay ridge direct. I think you'll enjoy the West Ridge. Plenty of spice there too, but can be kept mostly class 3 if you want.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:00 pm The traverse to South Little Bear can be kept to class 3 if you take the ledge system. However, you'll find plenty of class 4 spice if you stay ridge direct. I think you'll enjoy the West Ridge. Plenty of spice there too, but can be kept mostly class 3 if you want.
Sweet, sounds like fun!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread - sorry for the sidetrack...

Good luck to the OP with whatever route you take on G/T!