Gear for my first 14er?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JeremyAlmarode
Trip Reports (0)

Gear for my first 14er?

Post by JeremyAlmarode »

I am heading to Colorado in two weeks to climb my first 14er. I live in New Hampshire and am used to packing for the inclement weather that takes place on Mount Washington. I need some advice as to the gear I should packing for the 14ers. Is the weather in August as unpredictable there as it is here in NH? Are light winter climbing clothes necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gear for my first 14er?

Post by Been_Jammin »

Pack, shoes, socks, pants, hoodie, rain jacket, sunglasses, water bottle, map, headlamp, trekking pole(s), sunscreen, snacks.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

No matter where you go, you always pack for the worst case. Even if I told you it's on average warmer and drier here, it shouldn't impact what you pack. In the summer, I usually wear shorts and tshirt, but no matter what the forecast is I always have goretex shells and warm puffy jackets in my pack.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Flip flops, bikini, and sunglasses should do it.

And don't forget sunscreen.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

JeremyAlmarode wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:04 pm I am heading to Colorado in two weeks to climb my first 14er. I live in New Hampshire and am used to packing for the inclement weather that takes place on Mount Washington. I need some advice as to the gear I should packing for the 14ers. Is the weather in August as unpredictable there as it is here in NH? Are light winter climbing clothes necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You likely won't need winter climbing clothes out of the trailhead (though it may be cold in the AM), but keep an eye on the weather of course. However, I always pack a light puffy and emergency bivy in the case I do need to spend the night in the alpine cold overnight. The weather in August and into September is actually fairly stable, but afternoon lightning storms will continue to be something you want to watch out for. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
JeremyAlmarode
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremyAlmarode »

Been_Jammin wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:16 pm Pack, shoes, socks, pants, hoodie, rain jacket, sunglasses, water bottle, map, headlamp, trekking pole(s), sunscreen, snacks.
Thank you
JeremyAlmarode
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremyAlmarode »

LetsGoMets wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:06 pm
JeremyAlmarode wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:04 pm I am heading to Colorado in two weeks to climb my first 14er. I live in New Hampshire and am used to packing for the inclement weather that takes place on Mount Washington. I need some advice as to the gear I should packing for the 14ers. Is the weather in August as unpredictable there as it is here in NH? Are light winter climbing clothes necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You likely won't need winter climbing clothes out of the trailhead (though it may be cold in the AM), but keep an eye on the weather of course. However, I always pack a light puffy and emergency bivy in the case I do need to spend the night in the alpine cold overnight. The weather in August and into September is actually fairly stable, but afternoon lightning storms will continue to be something you want to watch out for. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
I appreciate it. Based on the responses it doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary from what I normally bring. Just never hiked CO before, so I figured no harm in asking. Thanks again!
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

You’ll be fine. Mt Washington has some of the worst weather in the world Colorado is a day at the beach by comparison. Rain gear and a warmer mid layer top is all I pack in August.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Prepare as if you were going hike Adams and Madison and you should be fine. For me that means an insulating layer top (prima-loft for me, fleece would work), rain/wind tops and bottoms, I usually wear shorts. I usually wear a thin short sleeve shirt when climbing and have a long sleeve shirt in my pack if its windy or chilly. Often its not. Many hikes all that stuff stays in my pack. Typical weather is clear mornings, really ideal for hiking, then afternoon thunderstorms, starting as early as late morning. Check the forecasts the day before. Going by what I read, expect crowds on 14ers within 2 hours of Denver, and associated parking cluster-cusses. Especially the Breckenridge and I-70 14ers. There is a crowd report somewhere on this site. If you hike 4000ers in the Whites you know the drill. For this reason I primarily seek out 12ers & 13ers. Think Sandwich Dome in NH (a very nice hike under 4000' that says a fraction of the crowds it would see if it were a few feet higher).
Best Regards
JeremyAlmarode
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremyAlmarode »

jrbren_vt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:45 pm Prepare as if you were going hike Adams and Madison and you should be fine. For me that means an insulating layer top (prima-loft for me, fleece would work), rain/wind tops and bottoms, I usually wear shorts. I usually wear a thin short sleeve shirt when climbing and have a long sleeve shirt in my pack if its windy or chilly. Often its not. Many hikes all that stuff stays in my pack. Typical weather is clear mornings, really ideal for hiking, then afternoon thunderstorms, starting as early as late morning. Check the forecasts the day before. Going by what I read, expect crowds on 14ers within 2 hours of Denver, and associated parking cluster-cusses. Especially the Breckenridge and I-70 14ers. There is a crowd report somewhere on this site. If you hike 4000ers in the Whites you know the drill. For this reason I primarily seek out 12ers & 13ers. Think Sandwich Dome in NH (a very nice hike under 4000' that says a fraction of the crowds it would see if it were a few feet higher).
Understood... And thank you!
JeremyAlmarode
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremyAlmarode »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:44 pm You’ll be fine. Mt Washington has some of the worst weather in the world Colorado is a day at the beach by comparison. Rain gear and a warmer mid layer top is all I pack in August.
I appreciate it... Mt. Washington is my "little" mountain playground, though sometimes it has a "BIG" mountain attitude...
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

The only item I did not see mentioned is a pair of lightweight gloves. They are nice to have for chilly early morning starts and/or windy conditions above treeline.