Hike/climb at the end of September???

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jrodcody
Trip Reports (0)

Hike/climb at the end of September???

Post by Jrodcody »

Forgive the newbie questions.

We’re going to be out in the last few days of September. Are a few of the southern class 1 hikes at San Luis and/or Handies still accessible at that time of year typically? What weather issues would be a concern at that time, already understanding that it changes from year to year.

Thanks in advance.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hike/climb at the end of September???

Post by Rollie Free »

Weather can be skitzy as fall starts but generally you picked probably the best time of the year assuming things hold up. I hiked San Luis a few years ago in the latter part of September. It was optimum. Beautiful weather, autumn colors etc.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The leaves should be nice then. Usually the weather is good, but big snowstorms can hit then. It's too early to say.

It's still early in the month, but right now, Colorado is headed for the hottest September s history. Personally I'm tired of this heat and hope that it snows soon.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Scott P wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:25 am The leaves should be nice then. Usually the weather is good, but big snowstorms can hit then. It's too early to say.

It's still early in the month, but right now, Colorado is headed for the hottest September s history. Personally I'm tired of this heat and hope that it snows soon.
58 on Saturday in Fort Collins is gonna be nice.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:11 pm
That would be nice indeed. It's still supposed to be near 90 over here. The cold air will stay mostly east of the divide. At least it's better than the 100+.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jrodcody
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jrodcody »

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it and look forward to our trip !
kshah11nj
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kshah11nj »

May I please ask - "What exact day/dates are you all hiking ? " And could I join if I can plan according to your trip ? I am in Denver this week. Came to do Mt. Evans, but my buddies had to cancel. So am looking for company . I can do 16 / 17 / 18th September.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

should be the best time to go.
Who is John Galt
Colorado-Hawaii
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado-Hawaii »

I'm flying into Aspen tomorrow and hoping to do Pyramid Peak in the next two weeks while I'm working remotely. Hopefully the weather will hold. If anyone is interested in going with me it would be nice to have some safety with two or more.

my contact cell is 808-679-2546; John
johnny+fernandez50
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnny+fernandez50 »

Hi my name is Johnny, I would like to go up Pyramid at the end of the month, either Saturday the 25th or Sunday the 26th. Also, I'm also open on the 1st or 2nd of October. My phone # is 720-308-2880.
Colorado-Hawaii
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado-Hawaii »

Hi Johnny, thanks for the reply. The 25th won't work for me; the other days are possible. Do you live in the Aspen area. My plan was to get dropped off at 6am at the TH and take the shuttle out. Let's keep in touch.