Am I ready for class 3/4?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ljoyce21
14ers: 20 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Am I ready for class 3/4?

Post by ljoyce21 »

I've done 10 14ers in the last month and have summited 18 (I think). At this time I have only done class 1 and 2 hikes, mainly due to their proximity to the Denver area, but I want to get in at least one class 3 or 4 before it snows. The toughest hikes I've done recently were probably Harvard and Columbia (North cottonwood creek traditional routes), but I would not say they were too difficult - just harder in comparison. I have great endurance and have no issues with scrambling (its my favorite part). I am saving Longs peak for next summer to do with family, so for this month I've got my eyes on Pyramid Peak and Maroon Peak. Do you think I am ready for those hikes based on what I've said?
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Am I ready for class 3/4?

Post by dwoodward13 »

IMO, no. I would get several Class 3 hike on solid rock in first before attempting either of those. Kelso Ridge, Father Dyer East Ridge, Wetterhorn, and Bierstadt/Evans Sawtooth all being good choices for that, although there are many others. Just search the forum for "first class 3" or "beginner class 3" and loads of threads will pop up.

Both of those peaks are known for lose rock (as are all the Elks), and somewhat tricky route finding. Doing only Class 1/2 peaks and jumping straight to that would be a lot unless you have other rock climbing experience.
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

Pyramid and Maroon are a significant jump up from what you have done so far. If you have done any scrambling or climbing casually (not on 14ers) you might be fine, but if you have no experience with class 3 I'd start somewhere else. For something in the Elks, I really like Castle as a transitional 2+ that lets you get a taste for the terrain. Wetterhorn or Kelso ridge are also good starter class 3 options. You also don't need to do a 14er to get experience in that kind of terrain.

In addition, class 3 and 4 are difference classes for a reason. If you don't have any class 3 experience I would not jump to class 4 since the consequences of a fall there are much higher (including death on either grade). Also, make sure to wear a helmet on class 3/4.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ljoyce21 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:37 am Do you think I am ready for those hikes based on what I've said?
Can you route find? That is the biggest factor. My kids were doing class 3 and 4 by age 4, but of course I was doing the route finding. That factor is a lot bigger than technical difficulty.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Its not the class 3/4 that's the issue with Maroon Bells or Pyramid. Its the route finding and shitty rock. Sobering. I did exactly that after lots of class 1 and 2s. Straight to S Maroon! I did it, but it wasn't pretty. I was soooo relieved to get off that pile of rubble. The ground beneath me finally stopped moving. I could breathe again.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
mountmurphy
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountmurphy »

I would second the suggestion for doing Castle and Conundrum first! These are good mountains to ease you into more difficult peaks. The trail is less defined than front range or sawatch class 2 which gives you an opportunity for more practice with route finding. I would also suggest Wetterhorn if you are looking for class 3 instead of difficult class 2. This route is also a good test of route finding, but the class 3 sections are pretty short which will allow you to evaluate your skill level in an environment that is not quite as committing as maroon or pyramid would be.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

mtree wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:03 pm Its not the class 3/4 that's the issue with Maroon Bells or Pyramid. Its the route finding and shitty rock. Sobering. I did exactly that after lots of class 1 and 2s. Straight to S Maroon! I did it, but it wasn't pretty. I was soooo relieved to get off that pile of rubble. The ground beneath me finally stopped moving. I could breathe again.
Strangely, routefinding on upper S Maroon was easier in tbe dark with a headlamp than during the day.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Not yet, IMHO.

La plata, Castle, South Maroon. Then review how you did and how you felt
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Rock-a-Fella wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:31 pm Not yet, IMHO.

La plata, Castle, South Maroon. Then review how you did and how you felt
These are really good ones to do before doing the top 10 hardest ones. Prob throw Holy Cross in with this group. Farther away would be Mt. Lindsey also.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

It may also depend on your age and level of athleticism. If you're in your 20s and you did gymnastics through high school, your athleticism -- i.e., high levels of strength and balance -- should be enough to carry the day.

Conversely, if you're over 50, you recently started hiking, and you never engaged in any type of athletic pursuit, you may never be ready to safely climb class 3 rock.

In between these two extremes is a spectrum, figure out where you belong.

Doing more class 2 or breaking in with easy class 3 climbs doesn't guarantee you'll be ready for harder class 3 or class 4 rock. Much of climbing involves strength and balance, and some people have it, and some don't. A little bit like hitting a 90 MPH fastball -- no matter what some people do for training, there's just no way.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I don't think any class 3 will prepare you for the rock in the Elks. Try Castle and see how that goes. A good warmup.
La Plata is class 2 and fairly straightforward (standard route). Holy Cross is the same, just longer. Lindsey would be a decent test, but hard to access now. I'm sure there are lots of 13ers where you can test your route-finding skills. Short of that, its just trial by fire. Join the club.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

mtree wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:21 pm I don't think any class 3 will prepare you for the rock in the Elks. Try Castle and see how that goes. A good warmup.
La Plata is class 2 and fairly straightforward (standard route). Holy Cross is the same, just longer. Lindsey would be a decent test, but hard to access now. I'm sure there are lots of 13ers where you can test your route-finding skills. Short of that, its just trial by fire. Join the club.
This is why someone above suggested Maroon Peak, and not North Maroon, as suggested by the OP.
Gotta get on the horse at some point. I guess though, if you have to ask, then maybe not ready. lol