Am I ready for class 3/4?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ljoyce21
14ers: 20 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Am I ready for class 3/4?

Post by ljoyce21 »

Thanks for the honest replies everyone!
dwoodward13 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:08 am IMO, no. I would get several Class 3 hike on solid rock in first before attempting either of those. Kelso Ridge, Father Dyer East Ridge, Wetterhorn, and Bierstadt/Evans Sawtooth all being good choices for that
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into doing one of those or something similar to them this week.
mtree wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:03 pm Its not the class 3/4 that's the issue with Maroon Bells or Pyramid. Its the route finding and shitty rock. Sobering.
Good point. I keep hearing that the route finding is brutal on the Maroon Bells and I have yet to experience difficult route finding. Just another testament to get a few easier class 3s in first.
DArcyS wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:06 pm It may also depend on your age and level of athleticism.
I'm in my early 20s! I'm a good athlete with some climbing experience so I guess the strength and endurance factors don't worry me too much.

All of this advice helps! Was planning on doing S. Maroon next week but will put it off until I've tried some easier class 3s now.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

You'll be happy taking this one step at at time; no reason to rush to the big ones. It is very fulfilling to look back after that progression and realize how far you've come in knowledge, skill and confidence.

Good luck on that journey!
Aim high to end high
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

After castle/Conundrum try Kelso ridge on torrey’s. Great intro, and you don’t have to descend it
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Kelso Ridge is NOT a good first class 3 route. I never understand why people suggest it. Fun route, but not a good first class 3. Committing and exposed.

I'd suggest Wetterhorn, Wilson Pk, or the Sawtooth route on Bierstadt/Evans.

I would not suggest Pyramid or the Bells yet. There are better peaks to continue building your skills/experience.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
bigredmachine
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

What? Easy route finding, it’s mostly class two, with 3 class 3 sections, plus you descend the standard so you don’t have to descend class 3. Not sure what your talking abot, it’s a great intro class 3 route.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

bigredmachine wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:16 pm After castle/Conundrum try Kelso ridge on torrey’s. Great intro, and you don’t have to descend it
+1

Kelso Ridge is an excellent intro to class 3. Short, sweet, easy. If you don't enjoy that, stay off Pyramid and either of the Maroon Bells.

Wetterhorn is not a bad suggestion, but much more committing and you have to climb back down so if it was not fun going up, there is that.

To OP, I have to chime in with the chorus on this one.

Answer to your question, as posted, is NO.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
dlloydjoneskc
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dlloydjoneskc »

I was somewhat in the same boat as the OP. I had done 30 or so 14ers but all class 1 or 2. Did Castle/Conundrum last summer and thought it was pretty easy. Did Wetterhorn this summer and thought it was a blast. I think to a certain extent, the pictures on the site made it look worse than it was when actually out there. I somewhat would psych myself out ahead of time. Anyway, I really enjoyed Wetterhorn. Didn't feel out of my comfort zone at all. Granted, I did a lot of scrambling/easy climbing in my 20s, but now am in late 40s. For me, exposure is the bigger issue and that is probably why Wetterhorn didn't seem that bad because for the most part, you could only see the rock in front of you. Plan on tackling some more class 3 next summer.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

This is gonna get off topic, but whatever. Kelso is not a particularly hard route, but I don't recommend it as someone's first class 3. There are 3 class 3 sections along the Ridge prior to reaching the knife edge. Wetterhorn, Wilson Pk, and the Sawtooth only have one class 3 section. Also, there is a knife edge. For someone not used to exposure, this can be a big deal. It's also at the end of the route, so if the climber doesn't feel comfortable with the knife edge, he/she has to descend the whole Ridge.

Just my opinion. Kelso's an awesome route. I really enjoy it; I've done it multiple times. I don't recommend it as a first class 3. I feel like a lot of people suggest it because it's close to Denver, but I think Wetterhorn is a much better choice.
Last edited by TaylorHolt on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

to the OP - based on your original description and other responses, I think you are good to go for Pyramid.

As to Kelso Ridge - I recently studied that, and had i gotten a ride up the road last week would have, but no ride so i did the standard route from the road. but the standard route provides a good view of the ridge and to me it is far beyond anything on Pyramid.
Who is John Galt
bigredmachine
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

TaylorHolt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:09 pm This is gonna get off topic, but whatever. Kelso is not a particularly hard route, but I don't recommend it as someone's first class 3. There are 3 class 3 sections along the Ridge prior to reaching the knife edge. Wetterhorn, Wilson Pk, and the Sawtooth only have one class 3 section. Also, there is a knife edge. For someone not used to exposure, this can be a big deal. It's also at the end of the route, so if the climber doesn't feel comfortable with the knife edge, he/she has to descend the whole Ridge.

Just my opinion. Kelso's an awesome route. I really enjoy it; I've done it multiple times. I don't recommend it as a first class 3. I feel like a lot of people suggest it because it's close to Denver, but I think Wetterhorn is a much better choice.
I’ve taken many up it as their first class 3 and all has been good. But that’s a fair point Taylor, maybe a bit spicy if you don’t have a lead.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ljoyce21 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:37 am I've done 10 14ers in the last month and have summited 18 (I think). At this time I have only done class 1 and 2 hikes, mainly due to their proximity to the Denver area, but I want to get in at least one class 3 or 4 before it snows. The toughest hikes I've done recently were probably Harvard and Columbia (North cottonwood creek traditional routes), but I would not say they were too difficult - just harder in comparison. I have great endurance and have no issues with scrambling (its my favorite part). I am saving Longs peak for next summer to do with family, so for this month I've got my eyes on Pyramid Peak and Maroon Peak. Do you think I am ready for those hikes based on what I've said?
It depends...

Putting aside 14ers or even mountains in Colorado, what other types of hikes/climbs/outings have you done? Any shorter but more challenging peaks/routes? Have you any rock climbing experience away from hiking?
I wouldn't just make a blanket statement and say no you shouldn't do Pyramid or the Bells, but in all honesty I don't know anything about you and can't make any recommendation based on a two sentence self description.

On a peak like South Maroon and many other harder peaks/routes, you'll not just need fitness (both solid aerobic fitness and leg strength/endurance), but good judgement and an ability to withstand suffering without detracting from your performance.

Others make good points about getting more experience under your belt and learning how to route find better first, so can't go wrong with that advice at any skill level in all honesty.

If you went on the aforementioned peaks with an experienced, mature, patient partner with an understanding of who is leading and who is following (essentially a non-paid Guide) or a paid Guide then I'd say yes you might be fine on them, if you're fit, acclimatized and comfortable on such terrain.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

derekesq wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:20 pm to the OP - based on your original description and other responses, I think you are good to go for Pyramid.

As to Kelso Ridge - I recently studied that, and had i gotten a ride up the road last week would have, but no ride so i did the standard route from the road. but the standard route provides a good view of the ridge and to me it is far beyond anything on Pyramid.
I can hardly believe my luck. Here it is, my very favorite 14er post. Let me quote.

"I have never done it, but based on what I think, you should"

says the guy who has not done any of the peaks in question.

ha ha ha ha, I am going to bed now.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons