did anyone lose their dog on the Mt Evans road?

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eagle Eye
14ers:summits58 winter34 
13ers:summits25 

did anyone lose their dog on the Mt Evans road?

Post by Eagle Eye » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Last night 3/25/2020 I encountered a dog, seemingly by itself & far up the Mt Evans road.

I was fat bike cycling up the road late day (5-9 pm) and between 4.5 and 5 mile (markers from gate) I first heard, and then saw a dog far ahead and above the road, on the east side. It was looking in my direction and barking. It already struck me as strange because although I had encountered people earlier and lower on the road, I was almost certain (from tracks) I was the only one around. I couldn’t see the dog very well, but I called and whistled hoping it would come to me. As I got closer the dog appeared in several places (same general area) standing on rocks and looking at me but was no longer barking. When I got to where the Walter Pesman Trail forks off the Mt Evans road, I didn’t see or hear the dog again. I also didn’t see any sign someone might have been with the dog, that had come up the Walter Pesman Trail, which runs on both E and W sides of Goliath Peak.

Anyway, I couldn’t give a description of the dog at all, but I did report this to the Clear Creek County Sheriffs Dept.
bad andy
14ers:summits55 ski1 
13ers:summits17 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: did anyone lose their dog on the Mt Evans road?

Post by bad andy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:29 am

Are you sure it was a dog?
I was up there on my fat bike too (in Dec) and saw/heard a coyote doing the same thing, near the same place.
Was there much snow on the road?