Found Drone in Uncompaghre Wilderness

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Boardman
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter13 
13ers:summits16 winter1 
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Found Drone in Uncompaghre Wilderness

Post by Eli Boardman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:42 pm

IntrepidXJ wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 pm
Eli Boardman wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:00 pm
2. There's a difference between laws and regulations. It's not actually illegal to fly in Wilderness, just against Forest Service or NPS regulations, so it's not something that the FAA would care the slightest about. And yes, I try to educate people about why they can't fly in Wilderness, too. But it's important to keep the type of regulation involved in mind.
The FAA might care since you are not supposed to fly below 2,000 feet over wilderness areas, and since you are not supposed to fly a drone over 400 feet, that would be illegal.
Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of the following: National Parks, Monuments, Seashores,Lakeshores, Recreation Areas and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refuges, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges and Wildlife Ranges administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Wilderness and Primitive areas administered by the U.S. Forest Service.
http://www.faraim.org/aim/aim-4-03-14-514.html
Exactly: pilots are "requested." True aviation "laws" are not worded as requests. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on flying forums, check it out if you're interested. And once again, no I don't condone flying in Wilderness.
Conor
14ers:summits39 ski6 winter4 
13ers:summits40 ski1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:45 am

Ptglhs wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:24 pm
shays_days wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:48 pm
I’m not sure if this extends to wilderness areas, but for National Parks you can fly in the park as long as you take off and land outside of the park.
There are different regulations for Wilderness areas and national parks. National parks are there to set aside unique areas of the country so they may be viewed and enjoyed by Future Generations. They have roads, piped water, electricity, campgrounds, even hotels. Wilderness areas are supposed to be as pristine as possible to allow the world to simply be, and humans to experience nature without the noise and interference of modernity. No motorized travel is allowed. That means no ATVs, no cars, no airplanes or helicopters, no bicycles, and no drones.
No paragliding either.
rijaca
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits244 ski1 winter3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:58 am

Plus 'line of sight' rules apply.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Trotter
14ers:summits53 winter2 
13ers:summits179 ski2 winter11 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Trotter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:15 am

shays_days wrote:
I’m not sure if this extends to wilderness areas, but for National Parks you can fly in the park as long as you take off and land outside of the park.
Thats a loophole, because the NPS rangers can't legally enforce violations outside park boundaries. NPS, or frankly the vast majority of people, don't want the drones operating in parks.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanned-a ... -parks.htm
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers:summits58 ski46 winter22 
13ers:summits167 ski54 winter36 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:01 pm

Toss it in the trash. Dumb people deserve to lose money.
greenonion
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Post by greenonion » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:29 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:01 pm
Toss it in the trash. Dumb people deserve to lose money.
In this CRAZY year of out of the ordinary Mr Middlebrook keeps the trend going with a new avatar after oh so long of his former self slogging up a mountain. Nice bill! Keep it crazy while lite-hearted!
Oh wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn’s being...

Ode to the West Wind
shays_days
14ers:summits13 winter3 

Post by shays_days » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Trotter wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:15 am
shays_days wrote:
Thats a loophole, because the NPS rangers can't legally enforce violations outside park boundaries. NPS, or frankly the vast majority of people, don't want the drones operating in parks.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanned-a ... -parks.htm
Oh I know. As a drone owner I just think it's a fun fact. Haven't done it personally. Pretty useless to get footage around NPS anyway as who would you share it with?