Who wants credit for this one?

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers:summits58 winter22 
13ers:summits53 
Trip Reports (43)

Who wants credit for this one?

Post by Wentzl » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K7TU1Hh_3U
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers:summits9 

Re: Who wants credit for this one?

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Man I almost posted that a day or two ago. I’m genuinely curious.
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:24 am

greenonion
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Post by greenonion » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:26 am

Dates aren’t right. Let it go.
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...KR
dwoodward13
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits101 winter3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:18 am

I don't believe either of them are active on the forum.

Thanks to SAR and glad everyone made it out safely.
SkiFree

Post by SkiFree » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:21 am

So who goofed the most on this trip?

Is it the person that couldn't find their way back to their snow shoes, or the person that left their partner after a 3pm summit?
Ptglhs
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits73 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:51 am

SkiFree wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:21 am
So who goofed the most on this trip?

Is it the person that couldn't find their way back to their snow shoes, or the person that left their partner after a 3pm summit?
Person who left their partner. IMO it is very reckless to do that. I attempted the Lincoln group last January with a friend I met on this site. We did Democrat and Cameron and once on the summit of Cameron she said she didn't have the energy to keep going. I was bummed -it was only 500 more vertical and 1.5 miles to do the last 2- but staying together in winter, especially if someone says they're not feeling well, is more important. I was glad we stayed together; visibility dropped to less than 100m on the way down. The person I went with was experienced, and a good hiker. It was probably our 6th trip together, she just wasn't feeling well. Listen to your partner and don't separate.

Two people, even if lost together, have a better chance than one: sitting next to, or on, each other reduces surface area and shares warmth, two sets of eyes to spot a trail or rescuers, take turns calling for help, etc. People have different knowledge bases and a pair can rely on both. It's entirely possible that each individual person has items the pair can use cooperatively.

Don't leave your partner on the summit of a 14er, in winter, 2 hours before it's going to be dark!

I'm glad this was a rescue, not a recovery.
SkiFree

Post by SkiFree » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am

Good point and good rule of thumb for the winter to never leave your climbing partner.

I would assume they asked the other partner if it was ok if they separated ways while they were on that 1st peak. But in hindsight all of the adrenaline and peer pressure probably doesn't solicit an honest response.

Your right, definitely nice to read about a rescue instead of a recovery. I guess its nice the mountains aren't going any where anytime soon.
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:48 am

SkiFree wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am
Good point and good rule of thumb for the winter to never leave your climbing partner.

I would assume they asked the other partner if it was ok if they separated ways while they were on that 1st peak. But in hindsight all of the adrenaline and peer pressure probably doesn't solicit an honest response.

Your right, definitely nice to read about a rescue instead of a recovery. I guess its nice the mountains aren't going any where anytime soon.
Perhaps the plan was made in the car for both shav/tab. Partner 1 decided to call it quits at shav and suggested the plan to split. Maybe some implicit PP if partner 2 had been talking about getting both shav/tab and partner 1 didn't want to be the spoiler.

Personally, my take away is that you have to be ultra cautious who you pick for partners as commitment increases. Not sure I would want to be out with someone who can't navigate their way down in the dark, regardless of conditions. What if something happened to me and they needed to book it down to call for help? Maybe not as big of deal on shav/tab, but it is applicable to many mountains. At some point they become more of a liability than a partner.
timstich
14ers:summits11 

Post by timstich » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:28 am

Well, in all better than losing your shoes and having to have your feet amputated, right? That's a much more dire outcome from the old Shav-Tab area of late.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:44 pm

I don't necessarily fault the splitting up decision. I've occasionally been the one to bail off early; just not into it that day, worn out, not in the best shape that day, whatever. It happens. But of course it's a nuanced decision: is each climber fully competent to operate independently in the conditions, to descend safely solo? A call you discuss and make, I wouldn't automatically fault them in hindsight.

But leaving flotation in the winter? Oy...I've done it but that's something I'd think twice about. Darkness descends, weather rolls in, etc. Fwiw, on all my 'shoes and skis I have strips of good reflective tape, and orient them in the direction of my planned route of descent. Amazing how far away you can spot reflective tape at night with a headlamp.

And yeah, glad it was a good outcome. Be safe out there, and happy holidays, everyone!

-Tom
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Never leave your swim buddy!

I had to spend a night lost above Flagstaff once with a partner's nearly frozen feet on my stomach warming up so they could keep walking.
If we had split up I'm sure those toes would have been lost, and the person would have been in for a really rough night.