Who wants credit for this one?

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58
13ers: 193 8
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Who wants credit for this one?

Post by HikerGuy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Does anyone have tips on how to combat sweaty pack back? That's my main problem.
highpilgrim
13ers: 82 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 pm

My Deuters have a mesh standoff component that lets air circulate between the pack and your back. It would likely work less well when you're wearing a lot of outer clothing but works well in the summer and shoulder seasons.

Good packs, all around.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Conor
14ers: 41 6 6
13ers: 41 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:00 pm

HikerGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:31 pm
Does anyone have tips on how to combat sweaty pack back? That's my main problem.
have you tried anti perspirant or baby powder on your back?
HikerGuy
13ers: 193 8
Trip Reports (6)

Post by HikerGuy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:09 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 pm
My Deuters have a mesh standoff component that lets air circulate between the pack and your back. It would likely work less well when you're wearing a lot of outer clothing but works well in the summer and shoulder seasons.

Good packs, all around.
My winter pack is an Osprey Atmos 35 that has the mesh air panel thing-a-bob. As you said, useful in summer, but not so much in winter. What I need is a fleece vest that has the back cut out where the pack rides or something with fleece on the front and thin material in the back.
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:48 pm

HikerGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:09 pm
What I need is a fleece vest that has the back cut out where the pack rides or something with fleece on the front and thin material in the back.
I have three pieces which work well with packs.

A Jack Wolfskin Tasman, which has a puffy chest/front, but a stretch fleece back and arms. So that's nice with a pack. Even though your back will still get sweaty, it dries so much faster.

Second is a biking vest. Windproof chest and mesh back.

And third is a sierra designs thin jacket with gridded fleece everywhere but windproof panels on the chest and front.

I don't use the biking vest while hiking or climbing, but the other two are great.
Your back will get sweaty with a pack. Just how it is. But making it less sweaty (less insulation and also material which carries moisture away) and faster to dry (not down) minimize the impacts.
NathanRL
14ers: 30 1 1
13ers: 15

Post by NathanRL » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:44 pm

pvnisher wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:48 pm
HikerGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:09 pm
What I need is a fleece vest that has the back cut out where the pack rides or something with fleece on the front and thin material in the back.
I’ve got the Patagonia Nano Air Hybrid, which I think was designed for exactly this. Would recommend, if you want to pay Patagucci prices (I got mine of their “worn wear” site, but still.)