Backpack Found on Crestone Traverse

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Backpack Found on Crestone Traverse

Post by TaylorHolt »

I think that's a different guy. Jesse left some gear up there last week, but he said it was in a green dry sack, and the items he left did not match what we found in the Green Osprey Pack. We believe the Green Osprey Pack that Mongoose is referring to was from the rescue on Saturday (9/24), but there is no confirmation of that. It is confusing because there are two different incidents about a week apart.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Ah! I was a little apprehensive about that photo, as Mongoose didn't talk about seeing a whistle on the pack
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If it's still there, hopefully some kind soul will bring it down before the snow gets deep. Is anyone going io soon or this weekend?

I have to work this weekend, but maybe the next? Any volunteers?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

I suppose a good plan would be to do the traverse from needle to peak and pick up the pack on the way down instead of up, so to speak. Since you would presumably have a rope for the rappel you could also use it to lower the pack ahead of you on any downclimbing that felt sketchy to do with a big load. If two people with trad chops did it, they could take that rope to do the Ellingwood Ledges up the needle and that would make it extra worth their while. And having would make it easier to split up the load - distribute some of the pack contents and the rope to one pack, and maybe the other guy ascended with a pack that can easily be packed the the green pack. Something like that.

I would love to do the adventure but I'm also in Kansas, I have plans for Friday and Saturday that I can't drop, and I don't have trad chops. I've been looking for a long time for a partner that can lead and begin to show me the ropes on trad placements and belaying from the anchor. If anyone was interested in doing that any time from this Sunday on, I would totally take the time off of work to come out (:

A long shot but hey. I've been on the traverse peak-to-needle four or five times and I've carried a backpacking kit for two [plus my wife's pack] up broken hand pass; and I used to carry an extra 50lbs everywhere I went before I lost 50lbs of bodyweight. so the load would be a piece of cake for me. I've led 5.10a in the gym a few times which wouldn't translate to 5.10a following I'm the crestones but following 5.7 should be nbd
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Reviving this thread because the pack and a lot of the contents are still there, some scattered nearby. I had heard about the pack but didn’t do any research about the origin and wasn’t sure what (if anything) to do when passing it on the traverse. At this point in time should future parties treat the pack and its contents as litter and feel free to remove it as needed?
Live a Fuller Life