Drinking on a Peak: What it Takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Drinking on a Peak: What it Takes

Post by Kiefer »

k_fergie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm
Trotter wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm We really running this joke into the ground.
Running it to the Ground: What it Takes
:lol: :lol:

I once brushed my teeth with a DIPA.....not recommended. :mrgreen:
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

NM_Hiker wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm IMO, if it's beer, it's got to be a Colorado beer. And yes, that swill of a banquet beer does count but not advisable.

Coors light or coors banquet should be a automatic fail. Only young college kids with no craft beer experience drink that. It's also a tourist beer for tourists who want to "taste Colorado". It's little better than piss in a can. If I was lost in the Sahara desert with no water I would still not drink a Coors.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I don’t think it counts if you’re under 0.08.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Gandalf69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 am If I was lost in the Sahara desert with no water I would still not drink a Coors.
Funny; Back in the days of yore, Coors was not available east of KC. Knuckleheads would then drive through the featureless hell-hole (Kansas) to get it from Colorado and then return with their "bounty". Strange how perceptions change.

The Coors brewery used to have what was called by locals "The Short Tour"; straight to the bar where you could drink pretty much as much as didn't make you stupid, if drinking Coors didn't qualify.

The even made a movie about running Coors beer illegally:

smokeyandthebandit.jpg
smokeyandthebandit.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Gandalf69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 am
NM_Hiker wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm IMO, if it's beer, it's got to be a Colorado beer. And yes, that swill of a banquet beer does count but not advisable.

Coors light or coors banquet should be a automatic fail. Only young college kids with no craft beer experience drink that. It's also a tourist beer for tourists who want to "taste Colorado". It's little better than piss in a can. If I was lost in the Sahara desert with no water I would still not drink a Coors.
Coors is delicious and refreshing. HYOH
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
interloper
14ers: 36 
13ers: 101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by interloper »

Gandalf69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 am
I'm coming out of post hibernation just to call you a dingus. Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad, Mr. Beer Snobbington.
"May the good lord shine a light on you, warm like the evening sun." - Jagger-Richards, 1972
crestone14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

Coors Banquet is my post workout and backcountry peak beer, has been for years. 5% ABV goes down well. And yes, I was a participant in the early micro brew pig roasts in North Boulder with Charlie Papazian in the very early 80's with many of the future Colorado beer magnates, have drunk great beers around the world, German, Czech, English, French, Latin American, Mexican, Japanese, Philippine, many others ... and been drinking beers since I was introduced by my uncle at age twelve to the old Miller High Life beers in the beautiful bottles. In turn, I have introduced my own nephew to great beers, he's developed a fine palate and has always drunk Banquet with me post hike, never complained, always enjoyed. Had an Ecliptic Starburst IPA from Oregon on Saturday's maskless friend's get together. Will be drinking more of the Oregon beers when I shortly return to the Rogue River Valley. Good stuff. Drink what makes you happy! :wink:
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

I'll drink anything from Keystone Light to Budweiser to Sierra Nevada to Pliny The Elder to Sam Adams Utopias.

I like beer.

My favorite personally is Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale but if I had to choose any from the category of mass market American Lager I'd put Coors Banquet over Miller or Bud.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Bryan W
14ers: 34 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Bryan W »

I've done summit beers twice. My first 14er was Elbert and Corona had a pretty good ad campaign going and we tried to duplicate it. We pretty much took a sip, dumped the beer, and hiked out. Then two years ago, now that I'm a craft beer kind of a guy, I took a good one with me (pictured below). If you've heard of Tree House Brewing, then you know they make great stuff. Me and Julius :-D enjoyed the summit alone for 20 minutes after having had the whole west ridge route to ourselves all day. I had another beer waiting for me in the creek close to the car for when I finished. Neither were great since they weren't as cold as I typically like.

highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

6A3FC92C-A45F-43DD-AB00-0B8340E75264.jpeg
6A3FC92C-A45F-43DD-AB00-0B8340E75264.jpeg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
This will make for an interesting day.

Discuss.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:55 am 6A3FC92C-A45F-43DD-AB00-0B8340E75264.jpeg

Discuss.
Not much to discuss. It just means someone needs to take some acetone and a scrub brush up. (Or just remove the rock from the summit area, turn it face down and put some rocks over it.)
If it's still there in a couple months, I'll have a couple friends take care of it.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

RyGuy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:22 am
highpilgrim wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:55 am 6A3FC92C-A45F-43DD-AB00-0B8340E75264.jpeg

Discuss.
Not much to discuss. It just means someone needs to take some acetone and a scrub brush up. (Or just remove the rock from the summit area, turn it face down and put some rocks over it.)
If it's still there in a couple months, I'll have a couple friends take care of it.
Are we sure it isn't a photoshopped summit rock? I can't imagine that anyone dumb enough to sharpie a rock would be capable of spelling Tabeguache correctly.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.