Advice for my 2 week Sawatch hiking trip in mid-late June...............................................................

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Advice for my 2 week Sawatch hiking trip in mid-late June...........................................................

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

I agree with what a lot of people have been saying, a lot of these peaks will be crowded on the weekends. Also be prepared for snow on some of these peaks, while this has been one of the driest years for Colorado the snow on high peaks tends to not fully melt until July.
Hiking when possible
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Advice for my 2 week Sawatch hiking trip in mid-late June...........................................................

Post by peter303 »

On a break day, consider a raft trip on the Arkansas River in that area. Peak flow is in June. From the Snotel curve, it looks like the amount of snow was average this season. But melting about two weeks early.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

What's your experience level? Ice and the Apostles are quite scenic. Hardly feels like the Sawatch.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Ericds84
14ers: 39 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ericds84 »

I recommend Antero's East route from Little Browns Creek. Not that much longer than the standard route from the lower trailhead, and you trade a day of road walking for a stroll through Aspen forest along a scenic creek. Access/parking is easy and crowds are nil.

Tabeguache's West ridge route is also a great alternative, although tacking on Shavano in the same day would be very tough.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

If you're concerned about crowds and if you'll be there for two weeks, maybe you can plan your hiking days on those peaks during weekdays to avoid the most crowded times and then use the weekends for a rest day or a less travelled 13er as suggested above. Also, another way to help avoid crowds if start very early and you might have the trail largely to your self (at least pre COVID anyway).
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Elbert is a good choice to avoid the crowds, there’s also a chair on Pali with untracked POW just for you
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Judging by the $1000+ weekly rental car quotes at DIA for this summer, EVERYONE wants to travel to scenic places like Colorado in this post-covid era. We all- residents and guests- are going to have to live with it. There is enough beauty to go around if we have patience.