Missing Hiker Capitol Peak 7/31

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Missing Hiker Capitol Peak 7/31

Post by dwoodward13 »

From the CSAR FB Page:
Have you seen the man on the left in these photos? Kelly McDermett was last seen at the Capitol Peak parking lot at 8:00 pm on Saturday, July 31st. His plan was to make an early summit of Capitol Peak on Sunday, but he has not been seen since. He was wearing a blue shirt, grey pants and possibly a red rainjacket. He is 5' 8", 175 lbs and 32 years old. If you have any information please contact the Pitkin County Sheriff's Office at 970-920-5310.
https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoSearch ... 9150235330
Last edited by dwoodward13 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker Captiol Peak 7/31

Post by climbingcue »

That is not good news at all, hoping for a safe and positive outcome...
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Mountainsroam_2012
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker Capitol Peak 7/31

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

Capital is a beast, no mistake real deal mountain. I made a couple route finding mistakes on that one, but survived. Been about 8 years since I did Capital, and me and my brother where the only ones camping out there.. Heard ghost voices and screaming all night coming from the peak all night from the backpack campground, didn't hardly sleep a wink that night before climb, Erie feeling..

Hope this guy survives and gets to go home..
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Ghost voices and screaming? Not going up there again.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
JasonL
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JasonL »

My wife and friends are currently hiking up to Snowmass lake for Snowmass tomorrow (she has Snowmass, Capitol, Evans left to finish)... just sent her Delorme a message to be on the look out for this gentleman.
Mountainsroam_2012
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 am Ghost voices and screaming? Not going up there again.
Ya man I'm sure it was just the wind whipping through the massive capital peak cliffs, but I swear it was loud ghost voices and screaming off and on all night.. My brother will back my story up.. Never ever in my mountain climbing life have I ever heard loud voices and screaming like that in the night from a peak anywhere in the mountains. We backpacked in while it poured rain all morning and afternoon, and i swear there where no people anywhere within miles that night..
sieggy80305
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

Did it three years ago and agree, scary beast of a mountain. I remember crossing the gully that caused so much confusion (and tragedy) for people. From the top, if you don't know where you are going I can understand why some people might take it. For us I researched and studied routes a ton before going. The bit that folks often don't talk about is the final pitch past the knife (which wasn't too bad imho). Long, dangerous and slow. It took as a while to carefully pick our routes across the rocks and gullies. Beautiful place though and amazing scenery. I hope the find the person as well.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Beween the difficulty of the peak and the amount of time that has passed since this person was last seen, it's not a good sign.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

What is SAR protocol... do they stop looking eventually? Or do they start rapping into cliff bands and narrowing the search that way?
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Been_Jammin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 pm What is SAR protocol... do they stop looking eventually? Or do they start rapping into cliff bands and narrowing the search that way?
Eventually they'll stop looking, but it's far too early for that. With today's technology, I'm sure they use drones and other imaging techniques (satellite?) to search tough to reach areas.

Hoping for a good outcome.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

sieggy80305 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 am Did it three years ago and agree, scary beast of a mountain. I remember crossing the gully that caused so much confusion (and tragedy) for people. From the top, if you don't know where you are going I can understand why some people might take it. For us I researched and studied routes a ton before going. The bit that folks often don't talk about is the final pitch past the knife (which wasn't too bad imho). Long, dangerous and slow. It took as a while to carefully pick our routes across the rocks and gullies. Beautiful place though and amazing scenery. I hope the find the person as well.
I am doing capital this upcoming weekend and am curious about it. I have heard it is no more difficult than difficult class 2 or class 3. It seems like it is just objectively dangerous with the loose rock and so care on every step must be taken to ensure rock doesn't become dislodged.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:08 pm
I am doing capital this upcoming weekend and am curious about it. I have heard it is no more difficult than difficult class 2 or class 3. It seems like it is just objectively dangerous with the loose rock and so care on every step must be taken to ensure rock doesn't become dislodged.
Its a serious class 3/4 and not to be taken lightly. Sure there's exposure, but lots of loose rock, too. Its a big commitment past K2.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.