Missing Hiker on Blanca

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravisRood
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker on Blanca

Post by TravisRood »

I encountered Vaughn as I was heading north toward the California summit, and he was headed south off the summit (I contacted SAR as soon as I saw this post on this site on Tuesday). We talked for 15 or 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about what he was wearing e.g. colors).

I've climbed all the neighboring 14ers on their standard routes (from the other side), but despite what I could see from my hike up to that point, on that day, I wasn't able to have a very intelligent conversation with him about his plans; for example, I didn't know which ridge was Gash).

From what I could gather, his plans were to gain the ridge to Ellingwood (somehow), traverse to Blanca, then come off Blanca somehow (I'm guessing Gash ridge). He told me he had a short rope in his pack, just in case. He said he had a headlamp, so he wasn't worried about time. I don't think he had any plans for little bear- I think I asked him about that...

He seemed to be in no hurry, and to have no real firm plans- he had the attitude of a guy who was just out for a stroll. He seemed humble to the point that it took a while for me to understand that he wasn't just planning on a simple hike of California like I was, and wouldn't maybe be better off descending back to the parking lot from north of the summit as I was planning.

Sad deal- he seemed like a real nice, soft-spoken guy.
theuglybear
14ers: 12 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by theuglybear »

He was an incredibly kind and gentle human, and was loved by everyone that knew him. This is really tragic.

Also, some of his friends are planning to continue looking for him, so if anyone is planning on being on Blanca soon, be extra careful. There could be people below you where there normally wouldn't be. I have even heard some SAR teams might be reactivated.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

TravisRood wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm From what I could gather, his plans were to gain the ridge to Ellingwood (somehow), traverse to Blanca, then come off Blanca somehow (I'm guessing Gash ridge). He told me he had a short rope in his pack, just in case. He said he had a headlamp, so he wasn't worried about time. I don't think he had any plans for little bear- I think I asked him about that...
That is a huge agenda.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

They apparently found him, as SAR just posted this on their FB page.

"Alamosa Volunteer Search And Rescue will begin recovery operations tomorrow to bring Vaughn Fetzer off the mountain.
AVSAR would like to ask all non-Search and Rescue members to please stay out of the Blanca Peak area. This is to enure SAR personnel safety, the risk of hikers sending rockfall onto teams is high.
Please keep all of Vaughn's loved ones in your thoughts throughout this incredibly difficult time in their lives."
theuglybear
14ers: 12 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by theuglybear »

SAR didn't find him, a couple of his friends did this afternoon. Just saying.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

So sad to hear. RIP
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

I met Vaughn at a 14ers beer night when I moved to Durango. We shared many adventures; summits, long ass hikes, day and night multi-pitch ice, rock, friendship, philosophy, love.

I'll swing by his house and leave my contact info on the door. He had friends in several communities so I'm not sure whos doing what. Please reach out if there is anything I can do.

I'm grateful to SAR and his friends from the Hospital and those who are brining him down today.

I'll miss you Edgar :-)

Here's Vaughn getting spicy on Private Pizza in the Creek
Vaughn
Vaughn
Vaughn1.jpg (137.15 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
4 years ago to the day Vaughn and I were on top of Silver and Red Deer Mountain in the La Platas. Here's our view that day.
Attachments
Silver Red Deer
Silver Red Deer
Vaughn 2.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Last edited by gurlyclimber on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Very sad indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.
Century Bound, eventually.
Mountainsroam_2012
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

Damn that sucks, RIP.. He must have had some good friends to go looking for him. My "friends" wouldn't even leave their house to look for me haha
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Sorry to hear the terrible news he is gone. Amazing that his friends were able to find him in that very tough terrain.

REST IN PEACE Vaughn
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

How very sad, and unfortunate.
My condolences to all of his friends and family.
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

My condolences to all of his friends and family!
Ted from TEXAS!