Summer is over-are you glad?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Summer is over-are you glad?

Post by Scott P »

Is anyone else glad summer is over? I am, but it's not because I don't like summer. I was just going through my photos and noticing that most of my summer photos from the peaks are hazy or smoky for the past five years. I am glad the skies are clearer now. Summer would be fine without all of the smoke, but I think it's becoming my least favorite season based on smoky skies alone.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Summer is over-are you glad?

Post by Ed_Groves »

If I lived in Colorado, I would probably agree. Unfortunately, as a Missouri resident, late spring to fall is my prime time to make it out there (and other places) to hike. The time period from late fall to next summer is one of intense exercise to stay mountain-ready and unfulfilled desire to be in the mountains.
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I would be happy with 51 weeks of winter, I am in Colorado because of snow in and on the mountains. If Colorado did not have mountains and snow it would be just like the rest of the middle of the country that no one wants to live in.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Agreed Scott. The summer smoke is unpleasant, and it's also too hot for my liking. The more time I spend in Colorado, the more I seem to appreciate the snowy season.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Summer is the best time to climb peaks in Colorado and I miss it already.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Absolutely! Good riddance smoke, see ya next year.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

not really glad. I'm still inexperienced and only barely equipped for non-summer summits.

the smoke never really bothered me much this summer, not like 2020.

but I am stoked to learn to ski this year!
Insta: hokiehead
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I don't dig the smoke, but I love the heat. I'm definitely a summer guy.

I like winter too, but summer is my jam
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 74
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

I miss late spring / early summer: wildflowers and green, couloirs, T-shirts and sandals, leaving the trailhead with nothing but the car-key, having more than an hour of daylight before and after work. I could do May through August for 8 months of the year, and September / October for the other 4.

But I'm tired, and after a trip to the desert next month I'm ready to let my body rest and recover until February. I'm either training for mountains or in the mountains every chance I can from February until Thanksgiving, then I let the skiers take over for a few months.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

I'm indifferent about summer being over, mostly because I love the variety of seasons and ability to do different activities throughout the year.

In regard to the smoke, it is what it is at this point. Unfortunately, it is becoming a thing nearly every summer and there's not much we can do about it. Of course it's nice to have incredibly clear days to be able to see many different peaks around the state, but in reality that's not the case for a good chunk of the summer.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I enjoy all the seasons. That being said, summer is overall the absolute best season in the mountains in Colorado. It's a shame it's so short.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’m glad but not because summer is over but for entirety different reasons altogether.