New 14er Finisher - Durkan

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: New 14er Finisher - Durkan

Post by Alpinefroggy »

durkan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:45 pm
Alpinefroggy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:51 pm Congrats to him.

And while I never met him, he gave me a maroon bells permit he didn't need in mid august and I did pyramid with it.

So thank you.
Thanks!
I did though? Were you with Sheryl? Maybe this was another instance where I gave one away! Glad to help, always
My partner posted to fb, you responded, sheryl commented back to you indicating we were part of CMC and ACS and you gave it to her. She backed out on our initial plans on the traverse and 2 others and I shifted our plans from the traverse to Pyramid and did Pyramid.

So it was a chain of custody on that permit but it got used!
durkan
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by durkan »

cindymo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:30 pm Congrats Kevin! Glad I got to hike a few with you, maybe we can get a few 13ers together next year!
Cindy Molina
Cindy, great hiking with y'all for a few of em! Who says we have to wait til next year? I'll be leading more this and next year now!

Gale and y'all ever get Cap?
durkan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by durkan »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:39 pm
durkan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:45 pm
Alpinefroggy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:51 pm Congrats to him.

And while I never met him, he gave me a maroon bells permit he didn't need in mid august and I did pyramid with it.

So thank you.
Thanks!
I did though? Were you with Sheryl? Maybe this was another instance where I gave one away! Glad to help, always
My partner posted to fb, you responded, sheryl commented back to you indicating we were part of CMC and ACS and you gave it to her. She backed out on our initial plans on the traverse and 2 others and I shifted our plans from the traverse to Pyramid and did Pyramid.

So it was a chain of custody on that permit but it got used!
That's so awesome, glad it got used and enjoyed!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

durkan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:22 pm
Mtnman200 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 pm Congratulations to Kevin on completing the Colorado 14ers! How many more centennials do you have left?
Sitting comfortably at 89, but who knows if I'll go back for "Red A". Ranch screwed us over the day we went for Culebra so not sure if I wanna give them more money. Maybe do the next couple bicents to make up for it? haha
If you're planning on climbing the bicentennials, you can do a ridge run from Purgatoire to Culebra and then descend to the Culebra 4WD trailhead. That way, you get Red Mtn. along the way but don't pay extra for it. The downside, of course, is that the Cielo Vista bicentennials aren't cheap.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
durkan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by durkan »

Mtnman200 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm
Mtnman200 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 pm Congratulations to Kevin on completing the Colorado 14ers! How many more centennials do you have left?
Sitting comfortably at 89, but who knows if I'll go back for "Red A". Ranch screwed us over the day we went for Culebra so not sure if I wanna give them more money. Maybe do the next couple bicents to make up for it? haha
If you're planning on climbing the bicentennials, you can do a ridge run from Purgatoire to Culebra and then descend to the Culebra 4WD trailhead. That way, you get Red Mtn. along the way but don't pay extra for it. The downside, of course, is that the Cielo Vista bicentennials aren't cheap.
This is actually fantastic beta! Plan was for Red when I went for Culebra, but storms downed a bunch of trees so we had no choice but to deal with snow and a 2wd TH start. Longgg day! But aiming for bicentennials might make it worth it... as privileged as paying $150 for a hike sounds. I really dont wanna give them more money, but it was gorgeous country!
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Happy Days to Ya! Congratulations!!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

durkan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Mtnman200 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm

This is actually fantastic beta! Plan was for Red when I went for Culebra, but storms downed a bunch of trees so we had no choice but to deal with snow and a 2wd TH start. Longgg day! But aiming for bicentennials might make it worth it... as privileged as paying $150 for a hike sounds. I really dont wanna give them more money, but it was gorgeous country!
PM sent
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Congratulations, Kevin! I believe our crew (including climbingcue and Trotter) met you and your dog on Half Peak last October. It is a pleasure to see that you have completed the list of 58. Thanks for the many condition reports, and enjoy the rest of the 100!
durkan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by durkan »

Cereal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:43 pm Congratulations, Kevin! I believe our crew (including climbingcue and Trotter) met you and your dog on Half Peak last October. It is a pleasure to see that you have completed the list of 58. Thanks for the many condition reports, and enjoy the rest of the 100!
Thanks, Cereal! It was great meeting y'all up there! Half Peak has to be one of my favorites so far just for the Cataract Trail! I'll definitely be back without the dog for Quarter Peak!
We all gotta keep the beta coming- See y'all out there sometime!
cindymo
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cindymo »

yes! she finished on Cap August 29th and we finished on S Maroon on 9/11. We had perfect weather on both peaks.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

durkan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:16 pm
Cereal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:43 pm Congratulations, Kevin! I believe our crew (including climbingcue and Trotter) met you and your dog on Half Peak last October. It is a pleasure to see that you have completed the list of 58. Thanks for the many condition reports, and enjoy the rest of the 100!
Thanks, Cereal! It was great meeting y'all up there! Half Peak has to be one of my favorites so far just for the Cataract Trail! I'll definitely be back without the dog for Quarter Peak!
We all gotta keep the beta coming- See y'all out there sometime!
Congrats!!!
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Emily_Gulanczyk
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Emily_Gulanczyk »

Congrats again, KPD! Honored to have been a part of your journey! Now onto the Centennials...which you're also close to finishing!