Most difficult 14er and why?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which 14er is the most difficult?

Capitol
26%
Little Bear
22%
Mt Wilson
1%
El Diente
No votes
Sunlight
1%
Crestone Needle
1%
Pyramid
2%
N Maroon
5%
Maroon
2%
Longs
1%
Sherman
38%

Total votes: 85
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Most difficult 14er and why?

Post by Wentzl »

dpage wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:14 pm Sherman and Cap are tied. Come on people we can do better. Sherman isn't going to win this election on its own!!!
just for the few who might have missed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pfsneLSSM
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Shermapangma... A 14er that feels like you're on an 8000er. It really doesn't get anymore difficult than this, folks. Capitol & Little Bear don't even compare.

To quote Surf N Turf (2013), "The five-member team complete, we threw ourselves into training. We asked many questions on the 14ers.com Facebook group. We traveled to Texas to learn rope work from the master himself. We completed acclimatization climbs to Denali, Aconcagua and Makalu. Those three years flew by, and before we knew it we were waving goodbye to our loved ones at a Park and Ride in Morrison. I didn't feel ready, but I'm not sure anyone can feel ready for something like Shermapangma. All we could do was try our best."
Be the best you that you can be.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

hellmanm wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:36 pm I'm disappointed that Sherman isn't winning this poll by a landslide.
Sherman isn't steep enough for landslides
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Sherman because it's so boring you'll have to use every ounce of your energy not to want to bash your brains in with one of the trillions of rocks that make up that pile.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

I almost avoided Sherman last lap around from Dyer. Retrospectively, I should have just gone back down Dyer after Gemini. I didn't even do Sheridan that time...
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i think Bross is the most difficult one, legally speaking.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:01 am i think Bross is the most difficult one, legally speaking.
Mostly just difficult depending on your moral compass. I doubt you would get caught and have legal action enforced for walking a few feet over the line on a commonly climbed mountain. I assume the landowners pretty much expect people to ignore their boundaries to be honest.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm surprised Sunlight doesn't have more votes. I haven't done it yet, but it seems like a lot of people either fail on that one or claim the summit without really summitting.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:49 pm I need to take up wood working
Hey it's winter kinda slow gotta talk about something.

Definitely rather hike than do tool stuff
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Scott P wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:25 am I'm surprised Sunlight doesn't have more votes. I haven't done it yet, but it seems like a lot of people either fail on that one or claim the summit without really summitting.
For me, the subjective rating of overall difficulty comes down to a combination of route finding, RT length, sustained difficulty, and crux move difficulty. Sunlight is easy for the first 3 (if using Chi Basin for RT length anyway). The crux summit block is arguably the hardest short combination of moves of all the 14ers (I can't speak to the Elks yet). I found both Wilson and Little Bear to be hairier and thus more difficult.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jorts wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 amFor me, the subjective rating of overall difficulty comes down to a combination of route finding, RT length, sustained difficulty, and crux move difficulty. Sunlight is easy for the first 3 (if using Chi Basin for RT length anyway). The crux summit block is arguably the hardest short combination of moves of all the 14ers (I can't speak to the Elks yet).
I agree with you. I'm just surprised it didn't get more votes since it had a high failure rate. I do wonder how many people climbing the 14ers didn't summit on this one though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Scott P wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:02 pm
Jorts wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 amFor me, the subjective rating of overall difficulty comes down to a combination of route finding, RT length, sustained difficulty, and crux move difficulty. Sunlight is easy for the first 3 (if using Chi Basin for RT length anyway). The crux summit block is arguably the hardest short combination of moves of all the 14ers (I can't speak to the Elks yet).
I agree with you. I'm just surprised it didn't get more votes since it had a high failure rate. I do wonder how many people climbing the 14ers didn't summit on this one though.
Too add on to this, I do wonder how many people climbing the 14ers didn't summit Mt. Bross though.