14 Peaks Documentary

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

14 Peaks Documentary

Post by WVMountaineer »

For those of you with Netflix, there's a new documentary streaming called "14 Peaks Nothing Is Impossible." It's about Nims Purja climbing all fourteen 8,000 meter peaks in 7 months. Pretty insane and humbling stuff! I'm including the trailer below.

"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: 14 Peaks Documentary

Post by bmcqueen »

Watched it Tuesday night. Crazy stuff!
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

I watched it Tuesday night too. It is an amazing feat to climb all 14 in less than seven months! Unfortunately, and this is just an opinion, fitting this story of climbing the fourteen 8000 meter peaks into a movie doesn't provide enough time to really cover the climb of each peak. It was essentially a summary and I don't think this amount of material can be covered adequately in the timeframe of a movie.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Nims is amazing. I felt like I was watching his journey unfold in real time on Instagram when it was happening. Truly the most elite of the elite climbing big peaks these days, and I'm so stoked Netflix/Chin&Chai put this together.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:47 am I watched it Tuesday night too. It is an amazing feat to climb all 14 in less than seven months! Unfortunately, and this is just an opinion, fitting this story of climbing the fourteen 8000 meter peaks into a movie doesn't provide enough time to really cover the climb of each peak. It was essentially a summary and I don't think this amount of material can be covered adequately in the timeframe of a movie.
Depends how long the movie is. If it's like 5 or 6 hours long then you probably could do a pretty good job.
Be the best you that you can be.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

WVMountaineer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 am For those of you with Netflix, there's a new documentary streaming called "14 Peaks Nothing Is Impossible." It's about Nims Purja climbing all fourteen 8,000 meter peaks in 7 months. Pretty insane and humbling stuff! I'm including the trailer below.

I remember this story, you can bet I'll be sure to watch it.
Be the best you that you can be.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:47 am fitting this story of climbing the fourteen 8000 meter peaks into a movie doesn't provide enough time to really cover the climb of each peak.
It's not a movie for us, it's to show the world what amazing Nepalese climbers can achieve and for them to be recognized for their efforts as more than just sherpas. I found myself rewinding and pausing often to absorb more of certain scenes. I wouldn't mind if there were extended films produced for each peak but the common person isn't going to watch a technical climbing film like that.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I started watching it, but honestly I'm not a fan.
We partied in Katmandu yesterday, kinda hungover, but here we are, gonna send this because giving up is not in the bloood, it's not in the blood.
(Not an exact accurate quote...)

I'll finish watching it though.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

We watched it this week. Some amazing photography and no doubting their accomplishments, O2 or not, amazing...but I think this would be been done better as a series like other Netflix shows. So much information and just too much was quickly glossed over or skipped and suddenly they were on another summit.

I'd love to see it play longer and go into the peaks, the climbers and experience more rather than showing them partying and dancing then 2 minutes later on a summit again. Maybe one intro episode, one to develop the characters of the climbers and then one episode per peak. I'm am sure there is some great unique information within their stories plus more footage that would be cool to watch.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

d_baker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:22 pm ... giving up is not in the bloood, it's not in the blood.
"In the death zone, I come alive." 8)
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Watched it twice already, alone and with a friend I talked into watching with me. Incredible! If Netflix had made it a series, most people wouldn't have watched because it would be too long, for the subject matter, to hold the average TV-watcher's interest and it wouldn't have accomplished Nims's goal of acknowledging Nepalese mountaineers and raising their platform to the international stage - showing them as people who are true high-altitude mountaineers rather than just Sherpas, and not in the ethnic sense of the word. Many still refer to "Sherpa" as "some unnamed dude who helped carry my stuff when I conquered the mountain."

Just getting the film footage must have been extremely difficult, especially considering the timeline and conditions these guys climbed in. It's not like you're going to stop to capture extended videos or even many photos in the middle of a blizzard at 8,000 meters. Or when avalanches are crashing down around you. They probably had limited usable footage.

He's absolutely correct when he says that if a Western climber had climbed all those peaks in record time, it would have been all over the news worldwide. As it were, unless you were on a mountaineering forum or social media, you didn't hear a thing about it.

Nice to see Reinhold Messner, Conrad Anker, and Jimmy Chin weigh in. (Speaking of Jimmy Chin, there was a short bit on the national news the other night about his young daughter climbing the Grand Teton, and I could have sworn they called it a 14,000-foot peak but I wasn't really paying attention - making dinner. Did anyone else happen to see that, and was I imagining things?)
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 am He's absolutely correct when he says that if a Western climber had climbed all those peaks in record time, it would have been all over the news worldwide. As it were, unless you were on a mountaineering forum or social media, you didn't hear a thing about it.
Susan is 100% right about this.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner