Drones in Wilderness and Social Media

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Drones in Wilderness and Social Media

Post by speth »

Where's Tallgrass when you need him.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

speth wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:09 pm Where's Tallgrass when you need him.
In all our hearts?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Seen here in the back, facing out the window. He did this purposely for all the photos. Lol
1CBDB127-4E32-4E19-A685-CD00E082D823.jpeg
1CBDB127-4E32-4E19-A685-CD00E082D823.jpeg (428.23 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Trotter wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:21 pm
AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:36 pm I don’t really understand the hate for drones. Yes they are mildly annoying. I would be upset if one followed or obviously filmed me, but really? I’ve looked down vertically into the cockpit of f18s and f16s here in Colorado. How is that less disruptive?

I’ve been much more annoyed by people blasting music. Or all the people that litter on the first 3 miles of Barr trail.

I did completely non powered rc flying for years and still had people flipping their lid to the point of screaming and threatening me before. I think people just get mad over what they don’t understand or are jealous of.
Its not jealousy or not understanding. Its the constant buuuuzzzzzzzzz. Imagine if I stood next to you in the wilderness and made that noise for an hour... you also would get mad.
Its no different to me then the speaker blasting music idiots.
I get that and also understand following the law. If it’s illegal just don’t do it. Show me a drone that can fly at that altitude for an hour. I felt like I sorta covered that by saying I’d be mad if it followed me and for an hour … let’s say I’m moving slowly at 1 mph. That would certainly qualify as watching me. BTW I do not own and have never operated a drone but I see them all the time while running. I guess they just don’t bother me too much.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:10 pm
Seen here in the back, facing out the window. He did this purposely for all the photos. Lol
1CBDB127-4E32-4E19-A685-CD00E082D823.jpeg
Photos - no thank you.

Google research - EXCELSIOR.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:11 pm
Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:06 pm
k_fergie wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:02 pm

Violating the spirit of the law? Certainly. Violating the letter of the law? Unknown, due to landing vs operating gray area as is discussed ad nauseam on this forum. But I will point out that this gray area has not been challenged or upheld in court... yet. I would not bet against the USDA on this one, although I wish someone else would so we can settle this. I still maintain that the "prohibits motorized equipment" clause should easily cover drones regardless of where they took off from, seems pretty cut and dry to me, but hey, I'm not a lawyer.
They have as much say so in stopping drones 100 feet in the air as they do Southwest Jets 30k feet in the air over said Wilderness area. IE, none. No, a drone that launches and lands from outside the boundaries of a wilderness area is not subject to the motorized equipment law. You can think it should, thats fine. But its not. As you even pointed out, there is no case law saying otherwise.
You can't operate from Wilderness either, its not just about taking off/landing. If you are piloting from a position where you are standing in Wilderness - it's a violation. That is the way the Wilderness regs were amended when they clarified drone use. That is why this case on Sneffels is a gray area, he might be standing in Wilderness, he might not? The summit itself is the border.

In the case of drones, if the pilot is standing in Wilderness, they are violating the regs as it is take off/land/operate from Wilderness that is not allowed. You are operating motorized equipment from Wilderness if you are standing in Wilderness while piloting a drone. The way I read the regs, you can't fly over non-Wilderness if you are piloting from a position within Wilderness.
If you take off from outside of a wilderness area, how would you be piloting from within?
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 am
If you take off from outside of a wilderness area, how would you be piloting from within?
You're outside the wilderness boundary when you have the drone take off.

Then you hike into the Wilderness while the drone is still airborne, controlling it as you go.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

WanderingJim wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Then you hike into the Wilderness while the drone is still airborne, controlling it as you go.
You're talking about an outlier case. In all my hundreds or thousands of drone flights, I dont know that I ever walked more than 10 feet.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:13 pm
WanderingJim wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:30 pm

You're talking about an outlier case. In all my hundreds or thousands of drone flights, I dont know that I ever walked more than 10 feet.
Aren't there some drones that follow people? Seems I've seen quite a few videos in some sort of "follow" mode. That would seem to be the most likely candidate here. Set it to track you outside the wilderness boundary on your hike and get footage of you hiking while crossing the boundary. I assume under the law you would still be considered the operator in this scenario.
Dave14erDawg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave14erDawg »

Southside wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 pm I came across the below recent YouTube video that includes drone footage of the top of Mt Sneffels from the adjacent wilderness area (starting at 8:05 mark the drone clearly sweeps across the SW ridge from the protected area).

Can social media content creators (especially ones like this with millions of views) just take the effort to do the research and follow the law?

In the video this person references access to AllTrails and information from this site (which this route description clearly states a Wilderness area is present). So was it really an honest mistake and if so, please do better.

Why are you such a nerd? Who gives a f**k about the law?
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

wakey.gif
wakey.gif (541.32 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

This whole place is just filled with nerds.