Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Post by curt86iroc »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:40 pm The right person could certainly Everest that trail in one day I think. What is that, like 55 miles and a little over 30k feet in 15 laps. I’m not that person, at least not currently, but definitely doable by plenty of people.
doable? yes. boring as hell? also yes...
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Something should be named Mr Mojo Risin

Mo' Morrison seems obvious

Rough trail, saw they were planning on building a better one
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

never more then once in a day and i cycle it every 3 weeks, the down hill is so miserable there is no way i would want to do it more then once a day! i will put in some sweat and tears to fix that lower section!
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm doable? yes. boring as hell? also yes...
That's what podcasts are for!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

justiner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm
curt86iroc wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm doable? yes. boring as hell? also yes...
That's what podcasts are for!
The science of ultra is a good motivational one to listen to on days like that.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

cougar wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:15 pm Something should be named Mr Mojo Risin

Where did you see the they were planning on building a better one? It's something I've heard about secondhand for a while now, but can't seem to find anything official on it anywhere.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

JtheChemE wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 pm

Where did you see the they were planning on building a better one? It's something I've heard about secondhand for a while now, but can't seem to find anything official on it anywhere.
JCOS sent out a survey in 2020 about improvements/facilities users would like to see. I never saw any movement after the survey however.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

dwoodward13 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:30 pm

JCOS sent out a survey in 2020 about improvements/facilities users would like to see. I never saw any movement after the survey however.
I saw a sign near the bottom of the trail last year about it, proposed improvement.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
kmonson
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kmonson »

I hiked Mt. Morrison 20-30 times last winter. One specific day stands out to me. I arrived at the trailhead around 9am and felt lucky to find one of the last parking spots. Almost immediately someone was tapping on my window. I cracked my window to say hello and this person was screaming at me “ENGINE OFF! ENGINE OFF! It is a nice day. Clean air. Global warming!” I had maybe been parked for 20 seconds. Anyway, I started the hike and after about an hour I made it to the top to find 6 topless woman taking pictures. As I was driving home I thought to myself what a strange day.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I was there about 3 years ago when a bunch of Jeff Co people showed up to look at trail in person. They said they had plans to improve it.
I've only single lapped it, that standard route trail downhill is brutal. North ridge is much more pleasant
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
corunner
14ers: 57 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by corunner »

Back in 2016, I was on the hill a lot training for ultras. Got hooked and tried to see how many I could do in the calendar year. Got to 70 summits (all on the main route). I finished on 12/31 with a marathon (7.5 laps). It took 8:53.

I'm guessing others have done more in a day. I do know there are some that have hundreds of lifetime summits. One guy was in the 600's when I talked to him one day.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

yes i too am very curious about any talk of improvements to mt morrison.

removing that old telephone line from the lower section of main trail would be nice.

but seemingly the park as whole could benefit from increased access to mt morrison.

if i were on the morrison chamber of commerce....i would be pushing hard for this.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer