Kodiak High Route History?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Danger_D
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 100 2
Trip Reports (3)

Kodiak High Route History?

Post by Danger_D »

I'm planning some peakbagging trips in the Weminuche Wilderness to knock out a few of my remaining Cents, and on a few maps I am seeing a route called the Kodiak High Route. It seems to go from about Vestal lake over some of the high passes and end up at Vallecito. I was intrigued, but the more I dug into it I couldn't find its origin or an accepted route. It seems to show up on some of the maps in CalTopo and Gaia, but not on any USGS or Forest Service maps. I know this forum is filled with a lot of mountaineering history buffs, so I was curious if anyone knew where this strangle little route came from. Thanks!

Link to CalTopo Map: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.6632 ... z=14&b=mbt
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Kodiak High Route History?

Post by seano »

I noticed this a couple of years ago when crossing back between Vestal and the Trinities, but haven't found any history. Someone apparently drew an arbitrary route through the Weminuche on Open Street Map, connecting some well-known off-trail passes, and gave it the dumb name "Kodiak High Route." Since Caltopo and others use OSM data on some of their map tiles, it showed up on them, and then people started mentioning it in reports from trips planned using these services.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

seano wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:20 am I noticed this a couple of years ago when crossing back between Vestal and the Trinities, but haven't found any history. Someone apparently drew an arbitrary route through the Weminuche on Open Street Map, connecting some well-known off-trail passes, and gave it the dumb name "Kodiak High Route." Since Caltopo and others use OSM data on some of their map tiles, it showed up on them, and then people started mentioning it in reports from trips planned using these services.
This seems like a very reasonable explanation, though I'm hoping someone else on here has more definitive knowledge. It seems very silly that the "Kodiak High Route" would show up on these maps, but not the Ruby Basin or No Name trails. Where the heck is the name "Kodiak" even coming from? Is there any feature in the Weminuche bearing that name?
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

All I know about this is, there is at least one spot where that route marked on caltrop is wrong/misleading. I wouldn't trust it too much.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

I'll also note in places "route" is a much better descriptor than "trail". Don't expect something like even use trail going up Ruby Basin. Its more of a suggestion of how to link things together than it is a use trail.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

This seems like something that Outward Bound might have developed. I remember talking to an Outward Bound instructor while we were waiting for the train at Needleton, and he showed me his Weminuche map with all kinds of interesting routes marked on it. He said that some were so difficult that students weren't allowed to do them without an instructor present.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Full disclosure, I haven't done the KHR but looked into it. I've also spoken to a couple of people who have done it and their feedback was mixed, at best. Portions apparently go through a long talus field, etc. I balanced that vs. the faster time you'd make on established trails and I think time-wise it's probably a wash. But that's just my speculation. For someone who wants more of an adventure vs. established trails it might be of appeal. Just my opinion.

-Tom

PS: As to the choice of "Kodiak," no idea. Kodiak is used a bit in Alaska (I lived there a few years as a kid, fwiw), there`s a Kodiak Island, home to Kodiak grizzlies. Not sure if that's a recognized subspecies or just a bunch of well fed bears who grow pretty big. Anyway, I too puzzled over the title.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

It pays to have routes curated by people I guess :lol:

I got a kick outta this,
FJQ9fZbX0AAt2Aw.jpg
FJQ9fZbX0AAt2Aw.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

It’d be neat to complete it. Some sections are better than others, watch out for the bee hives in willows. I learned the hard way :-D
Attachments
E4E45EAA-E0BD-404A-80DB-57E436A80891.jpeg
E4E45EAA-E0BD-404A-80DB-57E436A80891.jpeg (397.17 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
E27A0EDA-3693-4ACA-A38B-B870B96F7E16.jpeg
E27A0EDA-3693-4ACA-A38B-B870B96F7E16.jpeg (563.51 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
6C0AC0E8-A10C-4CEE-AD98-CFDFEC8D4EAB.jpeg
6C0AC0E8-A10C-4CEE-AD98-CFDFEC8D4EAB.jpeg (361.43 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Jakomait
14ers: 58 
13ers: 181
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Jakomait »

I've been in the area of most of the KHR on several trips. I wouldn't waste energy trying to follow it, just head the way you need to go in most instances since there actually isn't a trail. Seano is probably right on the history of that dotted line on Caltopo.

Alternately, there is a really good trail going up the Leviathan drainage that I've never seen on a map before.

Justin - you'd better try a little harder and not drag out your trips so long! I wonder if that site says Nolans is a good half day outing?!
Giver skidoo
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

Jakomait wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 pm
Alternately, there is a really good trail going up the Leviathan drainage that I've never seen on a map before.
Do you have a rough sketch of this? Is it on the north side of Leviathan Creek or the south? Also, unrelated -- I've been reading of a similar lifesaver of a trail in the Tenmile Creek drainage. Can anyone verify this/give more detail?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

hellmanm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:35 pm
Jakomait wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 pm
Do you have a rough sketch of this? Is it on the north side of Leviathan Creek or the south? Also, unrelated -- I've been reading of a similar lifesaver of a trail in the Tenmile Creek drainage. Can anyone verify this/give more detail?
I haven't read anything positive about a route in/out of Tenmile, if you're talking about from the Animas.
Route into Leviathan Basin stays on N side of creek, and pretty well above it for most of it. Below is a map of the "routes" and "camp" we used. " " indicates estimate.
Leviathan routes.jpg
Leviathan routes.jpg (321.8 KiB) Viewed 1488 times