Colorado LiDAR Findings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Colorado LiDAR Findings

Post by Eli Boardman »

RyanSchilling wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:09 am
Eli Boardman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:35 pm I thought of this post as I emailed John to point out that a 2-inch rounding error had caused a peak not to be ranked...you're not wrong about us LiDAR freaks. :wink:
Curious which peak is this?
Does it make it worse that it's just a 6,000-ft. hill basically in my backyard? :lol: https://listsofjohn.com/peak/58656

I got a summit elevation of 6670.37 ft. and a col elevation of 6370.51 ft., but these numbers were originally rounded to the nearest foot (6670 and 6371) on LoJ. This seems super trivial, but it actually affects the peak's ranked status: when using the pre-rounded numbers, you get 299 ft. of prominence, but subtracting the actual summit/col elevations yields 299.86 ft., which rounds to 300 ft. Now the col elevation is rounded down on LoJ with a note that it has 299.86 ft. of prominence. Someone should go kick the dirt around a little bit to bump up the extra 2 inches.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Eli Boardman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:25 am Does it make it worse that it's just a 6,000-ft. hill basically in my backyard? :lol: https://listsofjohn.com/peak/58656

I got a summit elevation of 6670.37 ft. and a col elevation of 6370.51 ft., but these numbers were originally rounded to the nearest foot (6670 and 6371) on LoJ. This seems super trivial, but it actually affects the peak's ranked status: when using the pre-rounded numbers, you get 299 ft. of prominence, but subtracting the actual summit/col elevations yields 299.86 ft., which rounds to 300 ft. Now the col elevation is rounded down on LoJ with a note that it has 299.86 ft. of prominence. Someone should go kick the dirt around a little bit to bump up the extra 2 inches.
If there's any rocks that you can catch with class 1, that might bump it up a bit! (unless the 6670.37' is using class 1 already and catching natural non-vegetated features).
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Derek wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 am By chance did your new data set stretch south to Iroquois area?
I'm a little bummed to report that Iroquois doesn't get a promotion.

Summit: 12812.2
Saddle: 12516.1
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

RyanSchilling wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:00 pm
Derek wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 am By chance did your new data set stretch south to Iroquois area?
I'm a little bummed to report that Iroquois doesn't get a promotion.

Summit: 12812.2
Saddle: 12516.1
That is a bummer!

John and Teresa have been finding quite a few 10ers and 11ers, but those aren’t quite the same as 12ers+. Iroquois looks like a cool one, too.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

bdloftin77 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:12 pm ...but those aren’t quite the same as 12ers+.
Only a handful of unevaluated CO soft-ranked 12ers left, none with coverage in TNM or, I believe, OIT either, per Ryan's updated map:

SR 12ers.jpg
SR 12ers.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

The benchmark elevation for Baker is 12403 so might well be ranked
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
swifter78261
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swifter78261 »

Good afternoon good folks,

I've been following the LiDAR developments for quite a time with some interest. Thank you to all who have put so much work into this. I have a quick question that I haven't seen comprehensively answered and wanted your input as I imagine I'm not alone in my curiosity.

I have a goal of wrapping up the Centennials on or before my 35th birthday this coming July. I'm trying to strategically plan my holidays and vacations to knock off the last 12 or so mountains that I have left. With a limited amount of time left to finish this goal, I want to make sure I'm climbing the correct mountains so I don't waste the precious few days I get to climb. A few of those peaks that I had left to complete have been affected by the LiDAR findings (Dallas, for instance). To that end, I have a few questions:

1.) Do we expect "official" lists to reflect these LiDAR findings soon or ever? I'm thinking of USG, ListofJohn or even 14ers.com, which has yet to "ratify" the findings of the community here in its own Centennials list.
2.) Given the above, what list should one refer to if wanting to complete the Centennials?

Yes, I enjoy climbing mountains and one day will climb all those peaks that are even in contention, but for the purposes of this small goal - one that I've been at work on for a few years now - I would like to focus on the list that will be the most permanent.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

swifter78261 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:59 pm Good afternoon good folks,

I've been following the LiDAR developments for quite a time with some interest. Thank you to all who have put so much work into this. I have a quick question that I haven't seen comprehensively answered and wanted your input as I imagine I'm not alone in my curiosity.

I have a goal of wrapping up the Centennials on or before my 35th birthday this coming July. I'm trying to strategically plan my holidays and vacations to knock off the last 12 or so mountains that I have left. With a limited amount of time left to finish this goal, I want to make sure I'm climbing the correct mountains so I don't waste the precious few days I get to climb. A few of those peaks that I had left to complete have been affected by the LiDAR findings (Dallas, for instance). To that end, I have a few questions:

1.) Do we expect "official" lists to reflect these LiDAR findings soon or ever? I'm thinking of USG, ListofJohn or even 14ers.com, which has yet to "ratify" the findings of the community here in its own Centennials list.
2.) Given the above, what list should one refer to if wanting to complete the Centennials?

Yes, I enjoy climbing mountains and one day will climb all those peaks that are even in contention, but for the purposes of this small goal - one that I've been at work on for a few years now - I would like to focus on the list that will be the most permanent.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!
Hi swifter,

As others have mentioned, I doubt the USGS will update their maps to match these findings. The most they might do is provide digital maps (i.e. DEMs) which are derived from the class 2 lidar returns. ListsofJohn will definitely be updated to match the findings. John's been waiting til entire elevation groups have been analyzed to update the official peak pages, but as you probably know, you can see what's been analyzed so far here: https://listsofjohn.com/lidar/lidar.php. Bill said he'd update 14ers.com to match LoJ at some point. I'm not sure if this includes the elevations or just the ranked peaks, or both. I'm not sure when that will occur, either.

All of the 14ers have been analyzed except Pikes Peak - I've been waiting for a drier week to check out a couple high point candidates before I submit that result to John. All the Centennial 13ers have been analyzed. Some, but not all of these results have been compared with summit pictures/videos to omit summit cairns/wind break rock walls. If someone (I'm wanting to do this eventually, but others can do this as well) finds/excludes cairns for the rest of these, their elevations might be tweaked slightly, though probably only by a couple feet at most. The lowest Centennials in the lidar list have been looked at carefully, and their rankings should not change.

There's some 13ers that won't be available for analysis til northern/northwestern Colorado is covered by downloadable lidar. This won't be til late summer/fall, according to a USGS representative. So it's a possibility that the LoJ 13er peak pages won't be updated til at least that time (and also assuming that all 500+ Colorado 13ers have been analyzed at that time, which is also uncertain). John might choose to update the Centennial 13er peak pages before then.

It would depend on if you're wanting to complete the "interpolated prominence" Centennial list, or the "lidar list." As you probably know, the former is based off older USGS maps and their associated spot elevations/contours. The latter is based off cutting-edge (though not perfect) data now available to the public. If I was trying to complete the Centennials, I'd go with the lidar findings since I prefer ranked-status lists based off more accurate (albeit not perfect) data.

Again, the lidar results are what they are regardless of where they are posted or where they are circulated. I don't know exactly how widely/quickly they will circulate (though I have high hopes), so if you want to go off a "well-known" list, you might go after the traditional Centennials list. If you prefer more accurate rankings based off lidar as opposed to USGS quad interpolation, that I'd go after the lidar list.
Danger_D
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 100 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Danger_D »

swifter78261, I'm in the same boat trying to finish the cents so I've been following things closely and here are my 2 cents. Like bdloftin77 laid out, I think there will be a period where no everyone agrees on what definition to use, but it seems like the canonical place to find the LiDar results is LoJ, and that is the list I personally plan on using.

All of the cents and several of the next tallest bicents have been analyzed, and it looks like Dallas and Teakettle will be kicked off the list, and be replaced by Arrow Peak, Niagara Peak, and Trinity Peak. Niagara and Trinity are tied in elevation, so it sounds like many people are suggesting that both should be climbed for a total of 101 peaks. I think its a little sad because Dallas and Teakettle are both great climbs worth it on their own, so I would encourage you to still climb them if it works out with your schedule.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

For those who are interested, I just received a response to my email to the USGS regarding whether they'd update their maps and summit elevations. Hope this answers some questions!

EDIT: Attached a screenshot which is a bit hard to read, so I copied and pasted below:

Hello Ben,

The contours for the 7.5 minutes US Topo quads are based off the 1/3 arc-second DEM data (a grid spacing of approximately 30 meters).

Where we have lidar data, the 1/3 arc-second DEMs are currently updated with the lidar data. But there still Is only 1 elevation point approximately every 30 meters. So while, the points that are in the DEM are more accurate (because they are based on lidar), they are missing a lot of detail between those points.

We have found that producing contours from the more dense lidar data results in contours that are way too detailed for a 1:24,000 scale map. That is why the 1/3 arc-second DEMs are used for contour generation for the US Topo maps.

At this time there are no plans for including high points (summit elevations) on US Topo maps.

Also, there are no plans to update mountain elevations based on new LiDAR data that's coming out.

I hope you found this information useful. Thank you for contacting the USGS National Map Help Desk! tnm_help@usgs.gov

Sincerely,

Lori Phillips
Cartographer
USGS National Geospatial Technical Operations Center
Applied Research & Technology Branch
1400 Independence Road
Rolla, MO 65401
Last edited by bdloftin77 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

OIT completed my two latest requests after only 5 days!

Hagar, "The Citadel," and 13122 all remain ranked. This *should* cover all the 13ers with between 300 and 320' of interpolated prominence. Chiquita, the remaining unanalyzed soft-ranked 13er, might be available late summer or fall of this year.

It's less likely that there'll be any ranked/unranked changes for the 13ers that remain to be looked at (other than Chiquita), though it's always a possibility.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Brad, this is awesome to watch and you're my hero.

I think it's worth noting that since North Maroon became ranked while its map prominence is only 234' (LiDAR prominence 329'), there will most likely be a few unranked 13ers that might end up being ranked (or ranked 13ers that will be demoted) that exist beyond the 280'-320' prominence range that one looks at by default. Based on our sample size with the 14ers (1/53), there might be 10 13ers that make such a surprise upset! I'm stoked to learn which ones.

Party on.