An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Post by seano »

OldTrad wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 am For anyone interested in Blanca, the following is a MUST READ. Unfortunately, Super Topo is 95% decommissioned - so much awesome recorded history on there, especially re: Yosemite Valley climbing, has already been lost. Hence, read this article before it's lost too. Enjoy!

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/An-Absurd-O ... 3125n.html
"Nick Danger" is a legend! I first ran into one of his TRs when I looked at the north face of Wetterhorn from the Cimarrons and did a bit of digging: http://www.supertopo.com/tr/North-Face- ... 3147n.html

For all of its faults, it's a shame that Super Topo was shut down and left to rot. Worse, the robots.txt explicitly blocks the Internet Archive from spidering it. Hopefully someone has at least made a personal copy of the site.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Re: An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Post by Eli Watson »

Fantastic read, thanks for sharing.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Thanks for sharing!
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Cygnus X1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 pm I think someone else has an absurd obsession with Blanca. Maybe you shouldn't move to Italy. :lol:
I second this sentiment! Maybe a summer swing at Ormes Buttress, Doc? I still have the gear in good keeping! We could climb it only with older stuff to keep with the vibe of this ST post eh?

We already got our asses kicked up there once, I am in for another round.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

handonbroward wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:13 pm
Cygnus X1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 pm I think someone else has an absurd obsession with Blanca. Maybe you shouldn't move to Italy. :lol:
I second this sentiment! Maybe a summer swing at Ormes Buttress, Doc? I still have the gear in good keeping! We could climb it only with older stuff to keep with the vibe of this ST post eh?

We already got our asses kicked up there once, I am in for another round.
Ha - you're killing me, but why wait until the summer? According to Nick Danger's writeup that wall is in perfect condition right now!