Castle Peak Photo #16

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Castle Peak Photo #16

Post by jsf80238 »

I have a question about Photo #16 in the description of the Northeast Ridge route to Castle Peak.

The photo shows 4 arrows and an X. The second arrow from the bottom: approximately how many feet from the bottom of that arrow to the top of that arrow? I ask because Difficult Class 2 is my absolute limit and I'm trying to guess how hard that part is.

I should mention I will be doing this when there is no snow.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Castle Peak Photo #16

Post by timewarp01 »

The arrow is about the height of a person. Most of the terraces along the ridge are less than ten feet tall.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

timewarp01 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:11 pm The arrow is about the height of a person. Most of the terraces along the ridge are less than ten feet tall.
Yea, that was my recollection. Fairly easy step section, I recall downclimbing it facing out. If you stay on the ridge there, it definitely is 2+/3- with minimal exposure. You definitely don't want to go around by the "X" even though there are paths that way. I'm pretty sure that's where we went astray on the way up and there were some sketchy gravel mini-gulleys to cross with no-fall zones along that way. We made it, but I wasn't happy about it. Ridge proper down (vs decending the saddle) was a piece of cake.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

madmattd wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:59 am
timewarp01 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:11 pm The arrow is about the height of a person. Most of the terraces along the ridge are less than ten feet tall.
You definitely don't want to go around by the "X" even though there are paths that way. I'm pretty sure that's where we went astray on the way up and there were some sketchy gravel mini-gulleys to cross with no-fall zones along that way. We made it, but I wasn't happy about it. Ridge proper down (vs decending the saddle) was a piece of cake.
+1
Aim high to end high
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Just a thought.

Castle and Conundrum are absolutely falling apart. I felt more sketched out on the ridge to castle than I did on many parts of Pyramid. The rock is just absolutely rotten on that ridge. Multiple times I found rocks that I thought were solid to be mobile refridgerators.

So while the diffculty is not anymore than class 2+, I feel like the true danger is higher there than some other class 3 peaks or lines.
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

There's quite a bit of horizontal distance at that arrow that doesn't show well in the picture. The area shown in Photo 19 was worse in my opinion, so if that area looks comfortable, photo 16 should be fine. Edit: Photo 19 is only slightly better on the horizontal distance. Mainly the area within 10 feet of the bottom of the saddle is what I am referring to.
jsf80238
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

Imcp wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:49 pm There's quite a bit of horizontal distance at that arrow that doesn't show well in the picture. The area shown in Photo 19 was worse in my opinion, so if that area looks comfortable, photo 16 should be fine. Edit: Photo 19 is only slightly better on the horizontal distance. Mainly the area within 10 feet of the bottom of the saddle is what I am referring to.
Ok, thank you. I guess they look about the same to me. I guess I can always turn around. And I guess I should leave my dog at home.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I did not run into any class 3 moves on Castle. As someone mentioned, its the crappy rock you have to worry about. The hike up and along the ridge is easy enough although there is some exposure. Watch your step and stay on trail. I thought the final 300 feet to the summit was some of the worst, loose rock I've ever been on.

Not the best climb to bring a pooch. Rock hazard is real.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

As long as you stick to the ridge, Castle is easy class 2 until you get to the summit pitch - no harder than half the peaks that you've climbed.

Once you gain the ridge, you only depart very briefly, pretty much immediately after gaining it - as shown in photos 14 and 15. As you bypass those initial towers, keep your eyes focused on finding the gully to ascent to regain the ridge. We made what sounds like the same mistake madmattd described, continuing to follow a sort-of trail around the right. It went, but unpleasantly. Return along the ridge was a piece of cake.

The ledges in photo 16 are mostly relatively solid, block stair-steppy stuff. No real hand-hold climbing required, hence the class 2 rating.

That summit pitch is loose and nasty, but not horribly steep. This is the "difficult" class 2 part for sure. And yes, loose class 2 can be dangerous, especially if you're tired, careless or rushing. But you've been on somewhat similar terrain - the loose steep slope that comprises the crux on Uncompahgre. That Castle summit pitch is a bit longer and I think maybe a bit steeper/looser, but as long as you take your time and choose your steps carefully, it's imminently do-able. Would agree it's not a good peak for most dogs.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
jsf80238
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

DeTour wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:33 pm As long as you stick to the ridge, Castle is easy class 2 until you get to the summit pitch - no harder than half the peaks that you've climbed.

Once you gain the ridge, you only depart very briefly, pretty much immediately after gaining it - as shown in photos 14 and 15. As you bypass those initial towers, keep your eyes focused on finding the gully to ascent to regain the ridge. We made what sounds like the same mistake madmattd described, continuing to follow a sort-of trail around the right. It went, but unpleasantly. Return along the ridge was a piece of cake.

The ledges in photo 16 are mostly relatively solid, block stair-steppy stuff. No real hand-hold climbing required, hence the class 2 rating.

That summit pitch is loose and nasty, but not horribly steep. This is the "difficult" class 2 part for sure. And yes, loose class 2 can be dangerous, especially if you're tired, careless or rushing. But you've been on somewhat similar terrain - the loose steep slope that comprises the crux on Uncompahgre. That Castle summit pitch is a bit longer and I think maybe a bit steeper/looser, but as long as you take your time and choose your steps carefully, it's imminently do-able. Would agree it's not a good peak for most dogs.
Thank you very much for reviewing my past routes, DeTour. That is extremely helpful for this analysis!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

DeTour wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:33 pm But you've been on somewhat similar terrain - the loose steep slope that comprises the crux on Uncompahgre. That Castle summit pitch is a bit longer and I think maybe a bit steeper/looser, but as long as you take your time and choose your steps carefully, it's imminently do-able. Would agree it's not a good peak for most dogs.
Not a bad comparison. Castle definitely looser and longer, not quite as steep, but there are similarities in every other way.

Reminded me of not-so-fun times on Maroon. Of course, I was probably way off trail on that one.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.