Colorado LiDAR Findings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Colorado LiDAR Findings

Post by bdloftin77 »

-wren- wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:18 am Curious about the standings of the the ranked 12ers? There isn’t a definitive LiDAR list yet, is there?
Nope, not yet. We’d have to look at the lowest 12ers to make sure they’re not 11ers, and ones with lower prominence to make sure that they’re actually ranked. There’s also quite a few that don’t yet have lidar coverage - some of these are soft-ranked and could potentially be ranked.
Last edited by bdloftin77 on Sun May 15, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

bdloftin77 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:00 am
desertdog wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:48 am Great this project is complete. Thank you. In looking at the list of BiCents it looks like Rosalie and Clark are the same height, but Rosalie is number 200 on the list. Are they tied or is Rosalie a little higher? If they are the same height wouldn’t you need to climb both to finish the BiCents?
In LoJ, the rank is determined first by elevation, then by prominence in case of a tie, then by isolation in case of a further tie. To us though, both would tie for #200 and both would be Bicentennials.
https://listsofjohn.com/glossary#Rank
Thank you!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

bdloftin77 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:08 am
-wren- wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:18 am Curious about the standings of the the ranked 12ers? There isn’t a definitive LiDAR list yet, is there?
Nope, not yet. We’d have to look at the lowest 12ers to make sure they’re not 11ers, and ones with lower prominence to make sure that they’re actually ranked. There’s also quite a few that don’t yet have lidar coverage - some of these are soft-ranked and could potentially be ranked.
On that note, John just found that Shingle Peak is barely a new 12er.
https://listsofjohn.com/peak/1763

Also these two peaks:
https://listsofjohn.com/peak/1764
https://listsofjohn.com/peak/1765
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

JoeGrim wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:08 am Yes, there have been a few of these. For example Cedar Benchmark and Cedar Mountain in Moffat County.
It was surprising to me how much the change to Cedar Mountain affected my personal and LoJ lists, but now I'll have to figure out how many times I have climbed the true summit. Usually I did, but not always. I guess it's only interesting to me though since few would be interested in something like Cedar Mountain.

The new ranking appears to have temporarily squished some of my personal goals-for now at least. For example, it definitely changes my yearly peak count that included repeats. I also thought I had all 366 days of the year done as far as ranked peaks go. Now I might have several missing. I'd have to go through my logs to find out how many, but that will take a while. From 2008 onwards it should be pretty easy since my logs designate a long vs. short loop I used to do. The "long loop" included what is now shown as the true summit, while the "short loop" did not. Before 2008 though I don't have a detailed log separating the long vs. short loop. Ug. I'll have to guess based on what photos I got.
Screenshot_20220516-232507_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220516-232507_Chrome.jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Thanks for the great work Ben and everyone who has contributed to this.

It's interesting to note that Mike Garratt appears to be the first and probably only person so far to have completed the revised list of 584 ranked CO 13ers, a title which he seems to have claimed by default.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Boggy B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:01 pm Thanks for the great work Ben and everyone who has contributed to this.

It's interesting to note that Mike Garratt appears to be the first and probably only person so far to have completed the revised list of 584 ranked CO 13ers, a title which he seems to have claimed by default.
and going to be a few minutes until the 12ers get a LiDAR finisher. I’m curious if/what all you know about The Castles other that that it’s been climbed at 5.10 on awful rock, you seem like the guy in the know.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Great to see it published, time for me to get to work refinishing my lists! :lol: Out of all of my previously finished lists, I think only 4 of them still stand (Holy Cross, Ptarmigan Peaks, Mt Sneffels and Collegiate Peaks Wilderness areas, though Collegiates is only because I got one of the LiDAR adds last November after finishing it 6 weeks prior).
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Also something I noticed with the change, similar to Cedar, a bunch of peaks had their highpoints remeasured, some a notable distance from the original location. Both points exist on LoJ, the legacy one as unnamed. Missed one I recently did, Granite Top, looking across the way at another bump, but map had it listed where I was. Usually I try to tag all summit candidates within reason.

Curious about South Dakota highpoint. If the tower outcrop is really higher than the class 5 one nearby.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

-wren- wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:16 pm and going to be a few minutes until the 12ers get a LiDAR finisher. I’m curious if/what all you know about The Castles other that that it’s been climbed at 5.10 on awful rock, you seem like the guy in the know.
If you've ever climbed on that special kind of rock, you know as much as I do. Looks engaging.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

cougar wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:56 pm Also something I noticed with the change, similar to Cedar, a bunch of peaks had their highpoints remeasured, some a notable distance from the original location. Both points exist on LoJ, the legacy one as unnamed. Missed one I recently did, Granite Top, looking across the way at another bump, but map had it listed where I was. Usually I try to tag all summit candidates within reason.

Curious about South Dakota highpoint. If the tower outcrop is really higher than the class 5 one nearby.
Yep, we’ve been looking at alternate summit contours recently. I made a list of summit locations changes that are in new contours here: https://listsofjohn.com/customlists?lid=2410

Some simply moved, others which are further away or which people might have not tagged have new peak IDs, and the old peak remains where it is but is unranked.

I believe John is working on a list that automatically adds any location that has changed by more than 0.1 miles.

I’ll see if the SD HP has coverage.
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

Boggy B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:11 pm
-wren- wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:16 pm and going to be a few minutes until the 12ers get a LiDAR finisher. I’m curious if/what all you know about The Castles other that that it’s been climbed at 5.10 on awful rock, you seem like the guy in the know.
If you've ever climbed on that special kind of rock, you know as much as I do. Looks engaging.
Engaging is a word for the rock in that area. I think I would rather do laps in the San Miguel's than climb that thing. I was up there last fall with some friends trying to see what looked like it could be a fun climb and we blew just about every hold we tried.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Boggy B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:11 pm
Save for screwing around in a 4th class chimney on some random low unnamed peak I have no experience with West Elk Breccia…no desire to climb anything technical on that stuff lol.