Guides for Crestone/Crestone Needle

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CraigMeier
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Guides for Crestone/Crestone Needle

Post by CraigMeier »

Does anyone have any recommendations for guides for Crestone/Crestone Needle?
My son and I want to do some of the more technical 14ers but Im thinking a guide might be a good idea for these two.
We are planning on hiking them around the 18th of June
seth0687
14ers: 21  1  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Guides for Crestone/Crestone Needle

Post by seth0687 »

I don't have any experience with any companies that advertise guided trips up those peaks, but I'm sure you could "enlist" a guide for a private trip at a pretty hefty cost $$$$

Check out Climbinglife.com, Eli is an amazingly accomplished guide and if he isn't willling to do the trip I'm sure he may know of someone who would be willing to...

Cheers,

Seth
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

CraigMeier wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for guides for Crestone/Crestone Needle?
My son and I want to do some of the more technical 14ers but Im thinking a guide might be a good idea for these two.
There are many people on this site, myself included, who would be happy to guide you up these for as little as a nice 12-pack of beer. IMHO these are some of the easiest "technical" 14ers in Colorado. The rock is solid, the routefinding is easy, and the hikes are short. They were my 3rd and 4th 14ers, although I went with some more experienced friends.
MissMoots
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MissMoots »

MountainMedic wrote:
CraigMeier wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for guides for Crestone/Crestone Needle?
There are many people on this site, myself included, who would be happy to guide you up these for as little as a nice 12-pack of beer. IMHO these are some of the easiest "technical" 14ers in Colorado. The rock is solid, the routefinding is easy, and the hikes are short. They were my 3rd and 4th 14ers, although I went with some more experienced friends.

How about Ellingwood Arete?
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

There are many talented and capable Alpine Guides in the state of Colorado. That said most of the terrain discussed in this forum requires a "PERMIT" to be professionally guided. No permit mean no insurance and the reifications to the guide are too many to mention here. So you will have to decide what "Guide" means to you. Prior posts have
potentially addressed some "direction finding options" if that is what you seek. Anchor building?, short roping?, Wilderness Med skills?, ability to properly pace the client?, legal to be guiding in the terrain?

I might suggest you investigate Crested Butte Mountain Guides if you want a permitted guide service to take you. I have never used them and do not work for the but they to
hold a permit to Guide that terrain. [url]http://www.cbguidesblog.com/crestone-needle-14197//url]

Good trip and good luck
jmeizis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jmeizis »

In case anyone uses the search function The Colorado Climbing Company guides several peaks in the Sangres. http://www.coclimbing.com/sangre_de_cristo_climbs
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Pikes Peak Alpine guides on the Crestones

https://pikespeakalpineschool.com/summi ... crestones/
griff14
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griff14 »

Pike Peak Alpine School. They rock and Pete and Co. Are wonderful, professional guides.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

griff14 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:32 pm Pike Peak Alpine School. They rock and Pete and Co. Are wonderful, professional guides.
I did a mountaineering course with Pete years ago, and actually ran into him guiding on the Needle a few years ago when I was up there. Great dude.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

I did the traverse last year with Pike Peak Alpine School and had a great experience.