Need a partner(s)! Kit Carson this weekend (Thurs to Mon)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
armadillon
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Need a partner(s)! Kit Carson this weekend (Thurs to Mon)

Post by armadillon »

Hey all!
TLDR: Need a partner(s) for Kit Carson and San Luis between the 27th and the 1st. Starting to hit the San Juans and need partner(s) for Sunshine/Uncom/Wetterhorn after June 3.

Still working on my 20 peak challenge. Trying to get my bag count up to 48 this year by Sept 1st. I've got 19 left.

Wife's parents are RVing around Colorado this summer. They'll be in Del Norte Thursday to Monday, and I'll be staying with them for a couple of days.
I'd like to hit Kit Carson (And Challenger's by default although I've bagged it already).

Will anyone be available Friday to Monday to do Kit Carson with me? Needa partner!

Also, trying to hit San Luis immediately after via the South Ridge. I won't need a partner for that, but I'd be happy to have one.

Phil
5one2-five0seven-7nine8one

PS
After KC and San Luis, I'll be headed down to the San Juans on 6/3, and I'll be there a few days.
I'll be making at least two trips down there this year.
This first trip around 6/3, I'd like to hit the closer 3,
Sunshine
Uncompahgre
Wetterhorn
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Need a partner(s)! Kit Carson this weekend (Thurs to Mon)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Althought the Sangres have melted out very quickly this season, I'm skeptical that the Avenue on Kit Carson is dry yet as that stays snowed in much longer than everything else. It's a no-fall zone so if there's a decent amount of snow it might be impassible. Conditions reports on this site show that it was ice axe mandatory on June 29th of last year. This year is very different but perhaps not more than a month different.
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 193 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

I cannot join this year but on the topic of the avenue I do have something to say... last summer I climbed Challenger Point and Columbia Point on the last weekend of June, skirting the summit of Kit Carson, but crossing the avenue. Even in late June, the avenue was holding ice. We were without crampons or ice axes, so part of our party turned back, me and one other summiting Columbia. It was very slick and firm, and a fall would have been fatal. It was a question of judgement and in the end, some of our party decided that we could cross it 100% confident we wouldn't fall, and the others decided it wasn't worth it. If you are confident on steep snow/ice and come prepared with the proper tools and equipment, I think it is fully doable, but it is true that is probably wont be dry this year until mid-June at the earliest. Good luck out there and I hope you have a great time, Kit Carson is one of my favorites. Have fun out there, the Sangres are awesome!

Edit: Haha looks like it is my report you are referring to.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm Althought the Sangres have melted out very quickly this season, I'm skeptical that the Avenue on Kit Carson is dry yet as that stays snowed in much longer than everything else. It's a no-fall zone so if there's a decent amount of snow it might be impassible. Conditions reports on this site show that it was ice axe mandatory on June 29th of last year. This year is very different but perhaps not more than a month different.
That area also appears to have un-melted over the past few days, according to NOAA. I'd imagine a lot of the upper part of KC could be kinda dicey for at least the next couple weeks or so.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Chances are Blanca and Ellingwood will be mostly dry this weekend (or at least a lot safer). It looks like those haven't been checked off your list, perhaps those would be a good pivot instead of Kit Carson?
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 193 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 pm Chances are Blanca and Ellingwood will be mostly dry this weekend (or at least a lot safer). It looks like those haven't been checked off your list, perhaps those would be a good pivot instead of Kit Carson?
+1

Great peaks, much safer early season than KCM.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Let us know how it goes! I’d enjoy another repeat of KC/Columbia descending OB this time of year.

Cheers
armadillon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by armadillon »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 pm Chances are Blanca and Ellingwood will be mostly dry this weekend (or at least a lot safer). It looks like those haven't been checked off your list, perhaps those would be a good pivot instead of Kit Carson?
Camden7 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:24 pm
+1

Great peaks, much safer early season than KCM.
Thanks y'all! My wife won't let me climb a peak by myself (I think I can get away with easier ones like Sunshine and San Luis coming up here shortly) as, let's be fair, any 14er can kill you. Also, one rattlesnake can end ya if you're solo without cell signal.
No climbing without a partner for me (makes this harder, I know!)

Great ideas, just switching peaks up. I can certainly do that. I can certainly shoot for Blanca/E Point!
Anyone willing to partner up somewhere between Friday and Monday?
cvbuffs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cvbuffs »

I was thinking about hitting Humboldt on Saturday if you're interested. Low commitment given the snow this past week, and still doable even if the snow sticks around to Saturday morning.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Post on Facebook today from Custer County SAR:
As the holiday weekend approaches, Custer County SAR would like to apprise folks of the conditions they are likely to encounter when traveling in the Sangres. As you can see in the photo, the storm system that just passed through our valley left winter-like conditions. Additionally, extreme wind over the winter months has resulted in severe blow-down along the trail system and beyond. Although we are warming up at lower elevations, the mountains are still seeing temperatures at-or-below freezing, with significant wind, and now, 2-3 FEET of new snow. The melt-off will contribute to slushy and muddy conditions, strong, rushing creeks, and potential post-holing through a wet, cold environment. Please take extra precaution and come prepared for the conditions you'll encounter. This means carrying extra gear and clothing, being especially mindful of the chance of hypothermia due to wet, cold, and wind, and checking the avalanche forecast and local weather forecasts for the areas you'll be traveling in. Commit to your go/no-go plan and always err on the side of safety. *South Colony Road is muddy, slushy, AND snow-covered... please take this into consideration when choosing your starting point.

Stay safe out there and enjoy your weekend!
armadillon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by armadillon »

I did see the notice, and I also checked the avalanche information center this morning The information center shows green for the Sangres. Not 100% sure on which to believe but I certainly appreciate the reminder
armadillon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by armadillon »

cvbuffs wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:30 pm I was thinking about hitting Humboldt on Saturday if you're interested. Low commitment given the snow this past week, and still doable even if the snow sticks around to Saturday morning.

Humboldt is certainly on the list, but I figured I was going to do a South Colony Lakes overnighter where I hit Humboldt's east ridge to summit, get down and camp at the lake, then hit Crestone/Needle both the next day, followed by an easy valley hike out