Which San Luis Route Sucks Less?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tortilla
14ers: 58 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which San Luis Route Sucks Less?

Post by tortilla »

+1 for the Pointfest recommendation. You can get into some 5.fun or keep it 3rd. And don’t step in the dirt on 13155’s summit block.
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

The Creede route via the Colorado Trail is a delightful trail run if you're into such things. Not a lot of people, lovely single track and nice views.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

I got turned back on the north side some years ago by a cloud of mosquitos on a biblical (or even Alaskan) scale, but the few miles I did hike from that side weren’t particularly memorable. The hike from Creede though was one of my favorites: the views of San Luis as you approach are more compelling and the more open terrain is a nice change from the usually forested approaches on other 14ers.

Either way, you’re unlikely to encounter many people out there. The Garitas are a special place. The beetle kill though is devastating down there.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:29 pm The standard route up San Luis is my favorite dry-season route up a fourteener. I'd love to repeat it either in wildflower season or aspen season or, hell, just in general.

Then again, I'm a fan of routes and peaks that would make most of the regulars on here suffocate with boredom at the mere suggestion (other favorites of mine include Bierstadt's standard route, Harvard's standard route, Redcloud and Sunshine...), so take that advice with a grain of salt - or several, sprinkled around a margarita - if your peak preferences tend toward short, steep, and spicy.
I cannot think of anything more delightful than margaritas on top of Redcloud!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I can't comment on route comparisons, only the standard route. The drive in on the dirt road was no big deal. You can drive pretty fast if you want. There were a few spots where high clearance was needed especially turning into the trailhead area, but you can probably park on road if needed. I really enjoyed camping there. The light show over the mountains that night was spectacular! I just popped another brewski and enjoyed it waaaay too late in the evening.

The hike is long, but if you enjoy wildflowers and scenery I found it serene and relaxing. Very few people. The vista opens wide and far which is different than many hikes. Babbling creeks and high meadows surrounded by steep hills and organ pipes. Clears the mind. A long, winding path to the summit with pretty views all around.

I remember getting back to my truck early afternoon and just vegged for awhile, soaking in the sun and summer breezes. And I had one last can of cold brew left over. Peeeerfect.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

I hiked it from the Creede side. It's one of the closer 14ers to me, coming from the south. Aside from a very steep road up to the trailhead (that managed to eat my neighbor's tire), it's a fine, mellow way to enjoy the La Garitas. Not every 14er has to be full of spice or crowds or IG moments, this one has none of them, just very pretty scenery and a not too tiring day.

Creede is a classic mining town in a nifty natural setting. There are a few old color photos from the LOC archives that were shot back in the early 1940s, and it looks virtually unchanged from 80 years ago.
IG: jc_solitude
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Been_Jammin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:11 pmDoes Creed have a bomber restaurant?
Try Miners Restaurant on Main Street. They closed for the winter but should reopen in late May/early June.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Thanks everyone for the San Luis logistics beta! Based on the feedback I'm leaning towards climbing from the Creede side:

1) Slightly shorter route will benefit my out of town cousin
2) Creede looks like a sweet town to splurge on a post hike feast
3) The drive from Colorado Springs is about a half hour shorter

Also, thanks for the Point Fest route recommendation. That looks like a heck of a fun sufferfest... which is my jam but would not be my cousins. I'm adding that route to the already way too long list of routes I want to climb in this rad state. Cheers everyone.
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Been trying to figure out ways to add some 13ers (especially the centennials) when doing the easier 14ers. Figure I would want to add Stewart and probably Baldy Alto when doing San Luis. After doing a little digging, the report below seems like a great way to achieve that (bonus points for it being a loop instead of out and back). Has anyone done a similiar hike or have a suggestion for a better way to hit these three peaks?
Link to report: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21290
Live a Fuller Life
TZDWyo
14ers: 44  3 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TZDWyo »

Attempted San Luis Peak from the Creede side last month but realized from San Luis Pass our plans of couloir ski were going to be a no go. However, we hiked up to the unnamed 13er and checked out what I've now learned is the Pointfest route. I love class 3 and am fine on some Class 4, but that looked like it got into proper 5 territory from my vantage point. I've been looking for beta and found a couple trip reports. Any info about keeping this route to 3/4 would be super appreciated because it looks like fantastic fun. And the views! San Luis gets short shrift, based on my brief experience.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

TZDWyo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 am Attempted San Luis Peak from the Creede side last month but realized from San Luis Pass our plans of couloir ski were going to be a no go. However, we hiked up to the unnamed 13er and checked out what I've now learned is the Pointfest route. I love class 3 and am fine on some Class 4, but that looked like it got into proper 5 territory from my vantage point. I've been looking for beta and found a couple trip reports. Any info about keeping this route to 3/4 would be super appreciated because it looks like fantastic fun. And the views! San Luis gets short shrift, based on my brief experience.
I did the route on the return from San Luis and stayed mostly on the ridge crest. I only found 1 or 2 short class 4 sections and they weren't that difficult. Here's my track. My phone pooped out so didn't get last bit. It's definitely easier to go in this direction with simpler route finding and best to climb up the class 4 sections. Ask supra about going the other direction. This would be a fun winter route I think.
Screenshot_20220526-101712_Gaia GPS.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-101712_Gaia GPS.jpg (154.99 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

terribletigzy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:12 am Been trying to figure out ways to add some 13ers (especially the centennials) when doing the easier 14ers. Figure I would want to add Stewart and probably Baldy Alto when doing San Luis. After doing a little digging, the report below seems like a great way to achieve that (bonus points for it being a loop instead of out and back). Has anyone done a similiar hike or have a suggestion for a better way to hit these three peaks?
Link to report: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21290
This got my attention as well, i think there's a similar report from last year. I'd like to get Stewart on the same trip, Phoenix the next day. Organ however it fits. But also the most efficiently.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"