Elbert in August

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trankin
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (2)

Elbert in August

Post by trankin »

My wife and I have climbed over 2,000 peaks all over the US, but only a handful of the 14ers. We live at 2,000' in NY.

We hope to get acclimated by spending a few days in Taos (hopefully doing Wheeler) and then staying a few days in Dillon, CO. We'll probably take a few 'easy' hikes to get a feel for the conditions. Then we'll make an attempt on Elbert either 8/20 or 8/21.

We're renting a normal sedan, and plan to start at the trailhead near Elbert Creek Campground, very early, since that is recommended, and we want to maximize daylight, since we're not spring chickens. Is the road to this trailhead in good shape?

Looking at the average weather for Dillon, and extrapolating, it looks like we can expect temps to be 30F - 50F for the mountain. Is that a good estimate?

Since we're flying in, we won't be bringing a ton of gear, but I am hoping snowshoes and/or 'spikes' will not be needed? (The other 3 14'ers we climbed, there were only a few patches of snow in July).

Any advice would be welcome.

P.S. We love microbreweries. We've been to Dillon Dam and really liked it. Any other recommendations?

Tom Rankin - http://viewsandbrews.com (totally a money loser, not commercial at all)
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Elbert in August

Post by madmattd »

Tom:
The road to the NE trailhead (Elbert Creek C.G. and co) is fine for any vehicle, see trailhead info on this site for future reference: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhea ... hparm=sw01
Leave the snow gear home. The route is already dry, peak conditions for future reference: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... parm=10001 The NE route in particular is often one of the first fully dry 14er trails.
I'd expect 40-50F summit temps, could be either side of that range but fairly typical.

P.S. I recognize the name from VFTT when I lived back East. This site has a LOT more info (beyond just the forums) to use on your trips!
trankin
Trip Reports (2)

Post by trankin »

madmattd wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:25 pm Tom:
The road to the NE trailhead (Elbert Creek C.G. and co) is fine for any vehicle, see trailhead info on this site for future reference: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhea ... hparm=sw01
Leave the snow gear home. The route is already dry, peak conditions for future reference: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... parm=10001 The NE route in particular is often one of the first fully dry 14er trails.
I'd expect 40-50F summit temps, could be either side of that range but fairly typical.

P.S. I recognize the name from VFTT when I lived back East. This site has a LOT more info (beyond just the forums) to use on your trips!
I did read many of the site's sections before posting. That information is good, but I also like hearing first hand from literal 'boots on the ground'. Thank you.

Yes, VFTT is still somewhat active. What was your handle then?
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

I did read many of the site's sections before posting. That information is good, but I also like hearing first hand from literal 'boots on the ground'. Thank you.
Just pointing those out as many folks miss them, but sounds like you found it all already, awesome.

You'll be fine, Elbert's NE ridge is straight forward, just somewhat long. It was my first CO 14er, and I know a handful of folks from NH that came out ~3 years ago and it was also their first without issue. A side note on the road: it's fine up to the main Massive TH, ~1/2mi beyond the Elbert TH on Halfmoon Road. It gets rougher after that. The TH area fills up fast (akin to many NH/NY trailheads).
Yes, VFTT is still somewhat active. What was your handle then?
Same handle. I wasn't very active.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

I did Wheeler especially since I'd been looking at it for years from the ski area. I liked it. Nice hike. Really like Taos.

If you haven't made reservations you might stay in Leadville. It's right there. I think the closest TH to leadville is probably better than the one around twin lakes using 2wd. Although there's one TH past that that's supposed to be really good. Haven't done elbert yet though. Be advised Leadville is over 10k ft. so the motel rooms don't necessarily have AC if it is hot.

Mostly I like to take rain gear of some sort at least a rain jacket and something heavier. It can snow although I don't think it's likely. Leaving in the morning is a good rule of thumb to avoid monsoons. But they cam happen early and clear off too. Talked to some guys trying Yale one time apparently got icy and they turned around. I doubt the people going late had trouble. Weather can be fun
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
trankin
Trip Reports (2)

Post by trankin »

Above_Treeline wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:05 pm
If you haven't made reservations you might stay in Leadville. It's right there. I think the closest TH to leadville is probably better than the one around twin lakes using 2wd. Although there's one TH past that that's supposed to be really good. Haven't done elbert yet though. Be advised Leadville is over 10k ft. so the motel rooms don't necessarily have AC if it is hot.
There's some big event in Leadville when we plan to stay. Everything was booked or $$$$. Dillon was about the closest we could get without spending a fortune.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

trankin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:32 pm There's some big event in Leadville when we plan to stay. Everything was booked or $$$$. Dillon was about the closest we could get without spending a fortune.
That would probably be the Leadville 100, one of the biggest races in Colorado.

I try to avoid Leadville on race days. https://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/2022-event-dates/
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hi Tom,

Coming from New York one other difference you'll see in CO is the predictability of afternoon thunderstorms in roughly June- August, whereas in upstate New York they don't really follow much of a daily pattern. So to your point you do want to start early so you're off the summit and ideally below tree line if there's any electrical storm; How early that is somewhat depends on how fast you normally hike but usually before sunrise is warranted.

While Elbert is not a hard climb- there's a trail all the way to the top, acclimatization will be important for you coming from New York so focus on your days in NM and before you start Elbert. Not sure where in New York you are but if you're further upstate and able to, try to get a few higher vert 46ers in to get your legs "mountain ready."

Good luck!