Staying in Breck mid July. Plan is to Hike 2 14 ers that week

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NamedafterMcKay
Trip Reports (0)

Staying in Breck mid July. Plan is to Hike 2 14 ers that week

Post by NamedafterMcKay »

Willing to drive 1-1:30..especially for 2nd one. Interested in one that is more scenic for sure. This will be my first 14ers. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

JT
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Staying in Breck mid July. Plan is to Hike 2 14 ers that week

Post by huffy13 »

Well, Quandary is definitely the best option if staying in Breck. I enjoyed Quandary, even with the conga line. If you are willing to drive for up to an hour and a half I would recommend the Grays and Torreys combo. it's only about a 40-45 minute drive from Breck. I thought they were pretty fun and they were my son's first 14ers.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
NamedafterMcKay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NamedafterMcKay »

huffy13 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:46 pm Well, Quandary is definitely the best option if staying in Breck. I enjoyed Quandary, even with the conga line. If you are willing to drive for up to an hour and a half I would recommend the Grays and Torreys combo. it's only about a 40-45 minute drive from Breck. I thought they were pretty fun and they were my son's first 14ers.
Thank you, I think this will be my plan. I will hike Quandary on a Monday and Grays/Torreys on a Wednesday. What time do you recommend arriving in parking lot for each? JT
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Always better to start early to avoid the possibility of afternoon storms. Grays and Torreys are incredibly popular, so the earlier the better. On a weekend with good weather, the lot can easily be fully by 6AM or earlier. When I did them, I arrived at the lot around 4:15 AM and was one of the first cars there. I think 5Am would be a good starting time.

Quandary has a parking reservation system that you should look into. Assuming you can get a permit, relatively early in the morning should be fine. With a good forecast I wouldn't mind starting Quandary as late as 8AM or so. Again earlier is always better in my mind. Additionally, you could park at the Blue lakes trailhead if you can't get a parking reservation. It would add some mileage, but it's all on an easy dirt road and you could possibly snag a ride from someone passing by.
Live a Fuller Life
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

NamedafterMcKay wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 am <snip>
What time do you recommend arriving in parking lot for each? JT
Even if you left now, it would already be too late.

:mrgreen:
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Quandary Peak parking requires a reservation, apparently. See below. There's also a shuttle service.

https://www.parkquandary.com/

I'm so old, I remember when you could drive up there (or to other easy 14er parking areas) from Denver Saturday morning and find a spot without dramas. Now you need a reservation! #-o
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

From Breck, I'd recommend hiking Grays using the south ridge route. Not sure how busy it is on weekends, but probably fairly sparse during the week. Likely a more enjoyable adventure without the crowds.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

mtree wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:36 am From Breck, I'd recommend hiking Grays using the south ridge route. Not sure how busy it is on weekends, but probably fairly sparse during the week. Likely a more enjoyable adventure without the crowds.
Or the Southwest Ridge and loop over Torreys (Chihuahua Gulch start/end), that was actually my first 14er hike way back in 2003 when I was visiting from Chicago. More of an off trail adventure getting off Torreys but I thought it was pretty obvious at the time.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

mtree wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:36 am From Breck, I'd recommend hiking Grays using the south ridge route. Not sure how busy it is on weekends, but probably fairly sparse during the week. Likely a more enjoyable adventure without the crowds.
I saw a dozen or so folks that also summitted that way when I did that route August 2021 on a Saturday. Nothing compared to the crowds on the peaks that came up from Stevens Gulch!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

All good suggestions.

I'd emphasize the importance now of finding a parking spot first to choose your peaks...sadly something that gets in the way of plans these days.

With regard to parking at G&T, "standard route" if you don't mind walking up the road, you can always park at the lot close to I-70 and not stress about needing to get there at 4am nor the drive up that road. Though I know many will comment that their Prius with four spare tires on made it up no problems...

Check out Decalibron which is west of Alma and within your drive criteria

If you are very fit and have good weather, another cool combination could be starting at Loveland Pass (paved, no permit needed) and do Grizzly then Torreys/Grays - someone could perhaps chime in on the mileage/vert for that as there is some up and down...
I've been meaning to do that combo but haven't yet.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

nyker wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:14 pm All good suggestions.

I'd emphasize the importance now of finding a parking spot first to choose your peaks...sadly something that gets in the way of plans these days.

With regard to parking at G&T, "standard route" if you don't mind walking up the road, you can always park at the lot close to I-70 and not stress about needing to get there at 4am nor the drive up that road. Though I know many will comment that their Prius with four spare tires on made it up no problems...

Check out Decalibron which is west of Alma and within your drive criteria

If you are very fit and have good weather, another cool combination could be starting at Loveland Pass (paved, no permit needed) and do Grizzly then Torreys/Grays - someone could perhaps chime in on the mileage/vert for that as there is some up and down...
I've been meaning to do that combo but haven't yet.
Starting at Loveland Pass is a loooong day. I wouldn't suggest that route for a newbie. If something goes wrong, you're stuck in no man's land. Above 12,000 ft the entire time. Nowhere to hide if storms arrive and you're on a ridgeline the entire time. Very few make that trek. Very committing haul.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Maybe this process could be automated, I propose something like:
IF ( (number_of_days_since_the_account_registration_date < some_arbitrary_constant_N)
AND (number_of_posts_from_the_account < some_arbitrary_constant_M) )
THEN print ("Go to Quandary Peak!")