Hardest Standard 14er Route in a Day?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What is the hardest standard CO 14er route to climb in a day?

Capitol Peak Northeast Ridge
23%
Snowmass Mountain East Slopes
19%
Other
58%

Total votes: 48
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Hardest Standard 14er Route in a Day?

Post by thebeave7 »

nmjameswilson wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 am I am considering doing both Snowmass and Capitol in a day in August so very interested in the comments. Now if done from Pierre lakes BOTH can be done in a day. :-)
I've done them as a loop from the Snowmass creek th up via moon lake then down the main Snowmass trail. Nice long day out, made easier if you trail run. The routes on Snowmass are interesting, not too hard (class 3-4) but def interesting.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

You can thumb through the back of Roach's 14ers book and check out his Roach Points to get his answer to this question.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

thebeave7 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:34 pm I've done a lot of long routes of 14ers in a day, 100% it's the Chicago Basin group from purgatory. At 42mi and 13k vert it's a long hard day even if you're running, throw in a little scramble half way for funsies. Next for me would be Little Bear-Blanca from the bottom of the jeep road with no 4wd, just cause I really hate that jeep road.

Eric
+1
I was hoping you would chime in on this.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

I've done Capitol 7 times,(I think) 2 camping in the valley, the other 5 as a whole day. I did camp at the lake once, but didn't summit that trip. It is a super long day, but once ur off k2 you can be a walking dead zombie all the way back. By far the "longest" route I've ever done was Ellingwood ridge on La Plata. The virtual Shera said when he was climbing it the ridge was a "engeriser bunny, it just keeps going and going." That about sums it up.
Attachments
Looking back
Looking back
u94968_201012065142.jpg (127.53 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

nickcreek72 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:04 am
nmjameswilson wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 am I am considering doing both Snowmass and Capitol in a day in August so very interested in the comments. Now if done from Pierre lakes BOTH can be done in a day. :-)
I tried this last September via the Moon Lake approach to Capitol and then across Pierre Lakes basin to Snowmass. Ended up about 1000ft short of Snowmass before heading down to Snowmass Lake to sleep. Never been so exhausted from a 14er hike. A super tough day for sure!

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Thanks for the trip report ... that really helps to see more photos. Pretty awesome to attempt that in one day!
Do you think you can walk the hard rock to the sides of Heckert Pass?
I am thinking about doing one a day from Pierre Lakes Basin myself. I think that will help not getting too tired and still saves a day over the standards.
nmjameswilson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

nickcreek72 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:04 am I tried this last September via the Moon Lake approach to Capitol and then across Pierre Lakes basin to Snowmass. Ended up about 1000ft short of Snowmass before heading down to Snowmass Lake to sleep. Never been so exhausted from a 14er hike. A super tough day for sure!

Thanks for the trip report ... that really helps to see more photos. Pretty awesome to attempt that in one day!
Do you think you can walk the hard rock to the sides of Heckert Pass?
I am thinking about doing one a day from Pierre Lakes Basin myself. I think that will help not getting too tired and still saves a day over the standards.

thebeave7 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:35 pm I've done them as a loop from the Snowmass creek th up via moon lake then down the main Snowmass trail. Nice long day out, made easier if you trail run. The routes on Snowmass are interesting, not too hard (class 3-4) but def interesting.

Eric
Thanks for confirming Class 3/4. :-)
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

nmjameswilson wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 am
thebeave7 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:35 pm I've done them as a loop from the Snowmass creek th up via moon lake then down the main Snowmass trail. Nice long day out, made easier if you trail run. The routes on Snowmass are interesting, not too hard (class 3-4) but def interesting.

Eric
Thanks for confirming Class 3/4. :-)
Note I didn't say you couldn't find 5th class rock, cause it's definitely out there if your navigation is off. I've done both Heckert Pass and crossing the low point of Satan's Ridge to the West side of Snowmass. Crossing the ridge to West Snowmass is definitely faster and shorter, but there are miles of heinous talus and a sporting 4th class choss climb. Heckert is much longer, but technically easier.

http://ericjlee.com/Blogs/?p=1733

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
nmjameswilson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

thebeave7 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:16 pm
Note I didn't say you couldn't find 5th class rock, cause it's definitely out there if your navigation is off. I've done both Heckert Pass and crossing the low point of Satan's Ridge to the West side of Snowmass. Crossing the ridge to West Snowmass is definitely faster and shorter, but there are miles of heinous talus and a sporting 4th class choss climb. Heckert is much longer, but technically easier.

http://ericjlee.com/Blogs/?p=1733

Eric
Oh I understand for sure I can find class 5 if I get off route but it is good to know it can be avoided and you don't HAVE to go a 5 route. Thanks for the links those are helpful.
saxlover
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

South Maroon by itself is not fun. The 2800ft of suck, sucks up and down!
Andrew Tobin
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

Seconding the calls for any of the Chicago Basin peaks in a day. Climbing up toward Twin Lakes is brutal when all you can think about is the 20 miles you still have to go to get down.