Rob Barlow Nolan's Supported

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rob Barlow Nolan's Supported

Post by RobLowe »

Thanks everyone! I’m finally feeling well enough to cognitively put together a meaningful post. This is not my trip report, which I will hopefully have time to generate this weekend.

First, I want to note my gratitude to my team. I’ve tried Nolan’s unsupported and quit at 10 peaks, so I know they made this happen for me. Jen Nanney, Erik Tischner, Chris Seaver, Nick Medica, and Eriksen Van Etten made a six year goal finally happen. Thank you.

Second, thanks to Chris Tomer’s expert weather analysis (no surprise there), I changed my date up early by one day (from Friday 6/24 to Thursday 6/23). While I got soaked on 4 peaks, it was a fortuitous change because Elbert and Massive were socked in Sunday. I doubt I would have finished without the one day move up.

Third, thank you trail angels Andrew Hamilton and Andrea Sansone. It seems you guys always appear out of nowhere when I’m up to one of these things (e.g. Longs Peak during the Hundred Highest CO Peaks in 2016). Thank you for suggesting the West Ridge Spur off Elbert. It went just as you said it would!

Fourth, thank you everyone on here for your warm support. This forum can be a great place when we commit to positivity. Thanks Eli for the unofficial tracking! Thanks: Erik Tolleson, Nick Saladin, Robbie (I always enjoy our political chats even though we never seem to agree!), Justin (for doing rad things and making me rethink whether I should go bigger), Glen Miz (we still need to get dinner and I still owe you for that 2016 pastry at Kite Lake), Ian, Robin, Derek (thanks for the offer of the ride back to my car), Joe, Kyle (we are glad you’ve moved back from the south, at least I’m glad), Jen Nanney (team captain and Nolan’s official time reporter, lol), Steve, Alec (a tremendous spirit; I look forward to sharing peaks with you), Eric Lee (this man single-handedly kept Nolan’s alive and is an inspiration), Will E (I’m going to keep chasing you in winter, lol, and you are my hero!), Caroline, Preston (I’m also going to keep chasing you in winter!), Andrew G, John Balciar (holy s**t, another inspiration! That monthly grid, I don’t think I’ll put that on my to do list ever!), and Nyker. Sorry if I missed anyone!

Fifth, I want to thank Dan Rosebosky for being a tremendous mountain partner. We are separated by a decade of life but get after it with the same tenacity.

Lastly, thanks Bill for operating this website. I’m a slow learner but eventually went from a kid in skate shoes without water on Holy Cross to someone who knows a little bit about Colorado’s backcountry.

The most emotional point of Nolan’s for me was actually the third peak, Antero. It hit me that I had passed Steve Gladbach in 14er ascents. At that time, I had to ask myself, have I done enough to mentor others in CO’s mountains? The answer is undeniably no, I haven’t done enough. But I want to try harder in that department and I’ll always make myself available to answer questions or to bounce ideas off of. You can reach me here or by direct message on IG (@rlmbarlow).

Personally, I’ll continue lists and goals. Here are some of mine: (1) 500 14er ascents (I’m at 492, which is truly hard to believe); (2) winter 14ers (I’m at 40 something); (3) 14er seasonal grid (I’m at 160 something out of 232); (4) bicentennials (I dunno where I’m at on this); and (5) mosquito ten mile traverse FKT (probably go for it in September).

Thanks to everyone who makes this place what it is. It’s given me a lot over the past 13 years and I hope to give that experience to as many as I can.

Rob
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

You're a hero, Rob.
An inspiration to all Robs around the world.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

Robbie, I’m curious how you can simultaneously claim Rob and Robbie status.

Given that you go by the latter, I’m neither a hero nor inspirational to you (nor anyone, for that matter), sir!
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

RobLowe wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:36 pm Robbie, I’m curious how you can simultaneously claim Rob and Robbie status.

Given that you go by the latter, I’m neither a hero nor inspirational to you (nor anyone, for that matter), sir!
You inspired me to go hike more.

I forgot the thrill and rush of 14ering while living in Arizona.

Thank you Rob.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™