Culebra contact information? How do you stay at the lodge? How big of a group?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Flatlanderweekender
Trip Reports (0)

Culebra contact information? How do you stay at the lodge? How big of a group?

Post by Flatlanderweekender »

I'm fact-finding for my company, which hopes to do a corporate team building exercise having approximately 150 employees climb a 14er. We're hoping to learn more about Culebra, but they appear to be between websites and I can't find a real phone # anywhere on the internet. Hoping between buses, their lodge, and camping, we could accommodate that many and have the mountain to ourselves midweek.

Anyone have any dealings with the lodge or a similar situation and have any pointers?

p.s. - As an aside, would love to hear anyone's thoughts on options for alternate peaks - Pike's maybe? Would be a Wednesday or Thursday.
Thanks,
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Culebra contact information? How do you stay at the lodge? How big of a group?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'm not aware of Culebra having a "lodge" for events.
Culebra limits hikers to 25/day, reservations are made by individuals. The chance of them allowing 150 people to hike their peak in a day/two is likely zero.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Flatlanderweekender
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Culebra contact information? How do you stay at the lodge? How big of a group?

Appreciate the response.

I should clarify a few things. This will actually be towards the end of July. Also, the company is definitely willing to pay for access that might be a little out of the usual.

Really just want to get ahold of someone to talk to about it, mainly.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Their site is functional and if you dig in the reservation area, you'll find contact info.

https://www.cielo-vista-ranch.info/acti ... ng-hiking/
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Flatlanderweekender
Trip Reports (0)

Appreciate it. Was down for a few days. Filled the form on Monday when it was up, but no one has replied.

Looking like a dead end.

Need to report back on best option for a multi-state group of 150 to get up a 14er on a Wed/Thu in late July. I'm eyeing Pike's Peak. Any thoughts on that one or an alternate? Need to figure out some sort of plan for lodging, then also one that can accommodate getting that many people in buses to the trailhead.

Thoughts? Appreciated.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I don't think you'll find any good options for a group that size.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I hope this isn't another Camp Gladiator.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

So you want us to do your job for free? I'm going to want a salary from your company to plan your company's outings.

FYI trying to make 150 inexperienced people hike up a 14er is a great recipe for getting on the national news, and not in a good way.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

With the caveat upfront that I have never been even partially responsible for planning anything with a group that size, I’d say CaptainSuburbia’s right - getting 150 people shuttled to/from a trailhead, especially when you’ll likely be dealing with differing levels of ability and interest and would thus have to consider what to do about those who turn back early or struggle down late...it sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Actually, given the proposed timeframe of late July (a.k.a. the heart of summer tourist season) and the fact that it is now less than a month away, trying to plan anything in the mountains for a group that size sounds like a logistical nightmare.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Please don’t bring 150 people into the mountains for a team building exercise.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

Isn’t there a maximum group size of 15 in national forests?
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

PJ88 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:00 pm Isn’t there a maximum group size of 15 in national forests?
Typically the limit is 15 people, 25 "heartbeats" which includes stock animals. That limit only applies to wilderness areas. Some wilderness areas have their own specific group size limits (for example IPW is max 12 heartbeats). National Forests at large are limited to 75 people unless you get a special use permit for larger groups. See https://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/wil ... 120810.pdf for all the dry regulations you can handle for the Rocky Mountain region.