Ellingwood Ridge Proper beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Ellingwood Ridge Proper beta

Post by JaredJohnson »

We're planning to do Ellingwood Ridge in a week and a half, the general idea seems to be that sticking to ridge proper leads to some really fun low-5 scrambling and a few mandatory rappels off the backside of some towers. This sounds great, I wonder if anyone has some more specifics though

- like one or two mandatory rappels, so maybe we're better off leaving the rope at home and backing off when we find these and skirting ridge proper a couple times? Or like twenty mandatory rappels and we should go ahead and use the rope or we'll constantly be backtracking onto mundane lines without it?

- any idea of the longest rappel required so I can decide whether to bring my shorter rope?

- is the ridge proper pretty solid? I've read some descriptions complaining about loose stuff but I'm guessing those are folks that kept it class 3

- does ridge proper eliminate some of the time and route finding concerns or do you still need to plan on 10 hours and a ton of route finding?

Thanks!
JaredJohnson
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Ellingwood Ridge Proper beta

Post by JaredJohnson »

- one more. We would bring some webbing and such in case we need it; but do people actually rap sections of this route often so that we're likely to run into some useable anchors, or will we need to plan on building each and every rap anchor that we use from scratch?
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I guess I can’t answer any questions about the technical climbing. I’m quite certain though that no time will be saved by setting up gear. This was one of the longer more exhausting routes I’ve done. There are only two times on this site below 10 hours so I would guess that using gear would only add to that. Plan on longer…
JaredJohnson
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

RETEP 1 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:43 pm There are only two times on this site below 10 hours
Sorry I meant 10 hours to get to the summit:) I believe the site times are round trip, if I'm wrong I'll be very grateful to be corrected
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Also speaking as someone who has done the route I'd say leave your rope at home. Or if you bring your ropes, bring a tent, stove, sleeping bag and enough stuff to stay out for a night. Watch the virtual Sherpas YouTube vid, he's a strong climber, and he's tired when he gets to the summit. Here is a picture of the start, end looking back, and looking back at a tower, typical of the ridge. I have a old peak conditions report, but I'd definitely watch the virtual sherpa vid. Definitely do it, just be prepared.
Attachments
A tower
A tower
u94968_201012064815.jpg (111.89 KiB) Viewed 987 times
The ridge
The ridge
u94968_201012065142.jpg (127.53 KiB) Viewed 987 times
The peak, beyond the ridge
The peak, beyond the ridge
Screenshot_20220126-114821_Chrome.jpg (70.86 KiB) Viewed 987 times
Last edited by Gandalf69 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=18617
My old peak conditions report, if it helps. I remember being on the ridge proper most of the way. (Until I climbed into sketch terrain, and back climbed)
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
tortilla
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tortilla »

I stayed mostly ridge proper and remember having to backtrack maybe 2 times? My partner and I did downclimb some stuff that others might avoid though. I remember a tricky downclimb through a wormhole formed by a chockstone at the top of a chimney. The rock quality is suspect, but the formations are unique and out of place for the Sawatch. It is a fun day. Bring extra water and expect for it to take longer than you think
JaredJohnson
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Thank you for all the information! A friend turned me on to a 30m, 8mm, 2.5lb rope that I managed to snag for 60 bucks. We're going to go ahead and bring that with us, and plan for a lot of suffering, a lot of time, and possibly a lot of rappels. But we can hope for extra efficiency and fun being able to stay on the ridge and backtrack less. Hanging around at the top of a tower setting up a rappel will be time consuming but should be a bit less energy consuming than backtracking!

I have a 50m fairly light rope as well, I am still debating whether to cut off 30m of that and let my partner carry that in case we need to bend them together for extra length
tortilla
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tortilla »

I don’t recall the backtracking being all that annoying really. 4th class options on our left (East) yielded ledgy traverses above the cairned route. The very prominent photogenic tower people often include in posts is off the apex of the ridge. The most challenging parts were the mental game and the devious nature of the rock. The ridge is more complex than it appears when you first crest it and the rock looks solid but is very crumbly in many places. 30m with a tag line would probably be sufficient