Jupiter & Jagged from Vallecito

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
merrion13
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 71 3
Trip Reports (3)

Jupiter & Jagged from Vallecito

Post by merrion13 »

Hello, I'm looking to tackle these two peaks on a backpacking trip later this season and having a hard time planning logistics for the best way to go about both and I'd love to get any feedback from folks who have done this before.

-For Jupiter from the Vallecito/Johnson Creek junction, is the best route to take the Johnson Creek Trail up to Columbine Pass and from there stay on the ridge crest to Jupiter? I've seen some people mention Hazel Lake as well, and I'm curious for any beta between the two.
-Where for setting up a base camp would allow the best position to tackle Jupiter one day and Jagged via Sunlight Creek the next? Should we camp near the Vallecito / Johnson Creek junction, or would you recommend somewhere else?

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Jupiter & Jagged from Vallecito

Post by Mtnman200 »

If you want to get to Sunlight Creek from Chicago Basin, you can go over the Windom Peak - Sunlight Spire saddle. Info about this is on Day 3 of Wombat's trip report at: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=17166

My son and I used Wombat's info to go over the Windom Peak - Sunlight Spire saddle from Sunlight Creek to climb Peak Eleven on 9/4/2017: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18225
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
merrion13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by merrion13 »

Thanks, but I'm looking for info from Vallecito, I won't be in the Chicago Basin for this trip.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

merrion13 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:11 pm Thanks, but I'm looking for info from Vallecito, I won't be in the Chicago Basin for this trip.
They don't combine well from Vallecito, that's the problem. The easiest way would be to go up Johnson Creek, over Columbine Pass, do Jupiter, then go into Sunlight from Chicago Basin like Mtnman suggested, but that would just be easier if you went into CB from Needleton in the first place. Alternatively you could hike all the way up Johnson and back down to Vallecito, but that's even more work, or a third option is to hike up the garbage slope that leads up South Windom from CB and drop into Sunlight from there, but that'd be terrible with a camp pack and climbing gear. Best to just do them via CB or as separate trips.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Agree with Ben’s suggestion that they are better as separate trips. Combining these two in one means either hauling your camp gear over steep, high passes without trails, or spending a lot of time on trails to go up Johnson Creek and onto Columbine Pass, then reversing course to go back up Valleciti for either the Sunlight basin or Leviathan basin trail.
Still, just for some “fun with maps,” here is another option:
1) hike up the Johnson Creek trail as mentioned for camp around Hazel lake area.
2) summit Jupiter, pack across Chicago Basin and over Twin Thumbs pass (and you should drop all your stuff and nab peak eleven, since it’s right there). Set up camp near Knife Point.
3) Hike up and over Jagged Pass (N of Knife Point), and make your way to Jagged.

If you set your sights to include peaks besides the centennials, you can have two different trips with these two peaks and some fun neighboring ones with each.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
merrion13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by merrion13 »

Appreciate the insight everyone, sounds like it will have to be 2 trips. Going to look at targeting just Jagged, and might look at Beartown in addition to Vallecito. Thanks again-
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Ben hit upon the best solution, IMO, do them from Purgatory. I think Jupiter combined with Jagged would be similar to Jupiter combined with Pigeon and Turret. Instead of dropping into Ruby Basin from Twin Thumbs Pass, you would drop into Noname Basin. Day 1 - Hike in from Purgatory TH to Chicago Basin. Day 2 - Summit Jupiter, return to/break camp, hike over Twin Thumbs Pass, descend to Noname Creek and setup camp. Day 3 - Climb Jagged, return to/break camp, descend to Animas River and camp. Day 4 - finish hike out to Purgatory and drive home.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

+1 on chicago basin and no name creek. it can also be done via train. there is an excellent site at the split of no name creek branches below knife point and above jagged cabin 30-40min. this is where the approach to jagged pass climbs steeply. jagged pass is 3.5 hours above this. this camp site i’m guessing would be closer to twin thumbs but probably just as long due to the bushwhack with pack.

i’ve done the approach to jagged from both beartown and no name. no name is certainly faster and more efficient. although, beartown is such a unique and remote approach.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

merrion13 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:40 pm Appreciate the insight everyone, sounds like it will have to be 2 trips. Going to look at targeting just Jagged, and might look at Beartown in addition to Vallecito. Thanks again-
We did Jagged from Beartown. If you have a vehicle that can get you there, I think it is a great way to do Jagged. Plus there are a bunch of other peaks you can hit while you are in there if you want.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months