Kids 1st 14er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
erocker14
Trip Reports (0)

Kids 1st 14er

Post by erocker14 »

Hello-

We are coming from Texas. No mountain and lots of traffic. My Kids are 10. Can you please recommend a good 14er for us to summit in late July or beginning of August.
Kids have no experience climbing a mountain. I summited Quandary maybe 10 years ago and also Democrat, Lincoln and Cameron around Kite Lake. I am sure that I will also have a hard time as I have aged a bit.

Also another question. What's a good place for a Colorado family vacation. River rafting, horse back riding and yes we must summit a 14er.

Thank you.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kids 1st 14er

Post by Monte Meals »

In my opinion, it is really important that your
kids have a good time with their first mountain adventure.

Try something simple like a hike around one of the lakes
(or fishing) on a drive to the top of Pikes Peak.

Or drive to the top of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain
National Park and go for hike along one of the ridge walks.

If you want to get a bit more wild - Snikau is easy
and has fantastic views.

Most important, make sure that your kids have fun.
TRIPLE D MAN
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TRIPLE D MAN »

Handies or Huron
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Stay in Salida or Buena Vista with the fam and have a go at hiking Huron. Be sure to stop in and feed the chipmunks in st elmo while you're in the hood.
Where ever you are... There you are.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

I would take them up one you have already been up and know what to expect.
Best Regards
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Grays and Torreys were my son's first 14ers when he was 11 and Handies was my daughter's first 14er when she was 10. Those were perfect for first timers at that age. I also think Huron would be great, Quandary is a good, straightforward hike. Sherman is pretty easy, but not as scenic a hike, but it's still worth doing. Buena Vista is a good mountain town that has whitewater rafting, hiking, good food and other family type activites. Salida and Breck are also great options.
Last edited by huffy13 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

at 10 years old begs a few questions.

how active are they and how motivated are they? do you want them to climb something or do they want to climb something?
remember doing quandary? now mentally think about what it will take to keep them motivated to do it.

speaking from experience that plenty of snacks and breaks helps, this turns it into a long day for everyone to have to keep them motivated through and to also be responsible to keep the group together and responsible enough to call it if your group needs to turn back from lack of motivation, weather or other issue from a hike at elevation.

the funnest hike in these instances would be the shortest hike. does it have to be a 14er? do you have to summit?

Sherman is fairly quick from the fairplay side, has the mine ruins to see which my kids enjoy and is reachable from breckenridge if staying, back track to idaho springs for rafting.

princeton if able to drive up to the towers is short, hot springs close by, rafting near 285 turn off south of BV, easy to stay in BV or salida

handies or uncompaghre maybe if down by lake city area with 4x4 to make to upper TH routes, no clue about rafting

a lot of recommendations for more enjoyable hikes/outings that may summit something but not necessarily a 14er is dependent upon where you are staying near?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

erocker14 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:07 pm Hello-

We are coming from Texas. No mountain and lots of traffic. My Kids are 10. Can you please recommend a good 14er for us to summit in late July or beginning of August.
Kids have no experience climbing a mountain. I summited Quandary maybe 10 years ago and also Democrat, Lincoln and Cameron around Kite Lake. I am sure that I will also have a hard time as I have aged a bit.

Also another question. What's a good place for a Colorado family vacation. River rafting, horse back riding and yes we must summit a 14er.

Thank you.
Dont take them from no mountain climbing ever, to a 14er. Theres tons of smaller, more enjoyable mountains in colorado to start on, especially as a kid.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

drive up to the Devil's Playground on Pikes Peak and head to the summit from there.

Colorado Springs is a great family destination- you can visit the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and take them horseback riding through Garden of the Gods. there are oodles of companies that will do river rafting from CO Springs, as well, but if you're driving up from the south, i would just raft on the way up- maybe around the Royal Gorge?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I'll share how MY kids work. 1) they love milkshakes. And we always end on a high note with a milkshake. 2) they don't care if a mountain is a 14er, 13er etc. It's all the same to them. 3) they love camping, so pairing the trip with some car camping goes a long ways.

My kids seem to love the Desert and easy canyons more than peaks. Its like a playground for them that goes on and on. Little wildhorse/bell is something they would do every day. My baby at age 4, handled it well with a shoulder carry across the back (where it is "boring").

With that said, start easy. Maybe igloo?

If you're going to float, the Arkansas is always there. My family does a trip down the colorado from rancho del rio. We rent the raft from them and they also transport back to the beginning. I have a lot of canoeing experience, not a lot of rafting. I felt comfortable rowing the boat myself in conditions where the river was flowing more than it is now.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

erocker14 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:07 pmwe must summit a 14er.
switch that to "we'd like to summit a 14er, but will turn around if necessary due to weather/altitude illness/tiredness/cranky kids/etc" and you'll be on the right track. the phrase "must summit" doesn't belong in any climber's vocabulary, no matter their experience level. but especially for a first timer, it's more important to keep it enjoyable and safe than to reach an arbitrary point on a map.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Sounds like this is your plan and not theirs. Good luck with that.

The kids don't care about scenery or a pile of rocks. At least Mt. Sherman has lots of mine ruins to explore. That can be fun. Unfortunately, the snow will probably be gone by then. Snow is fun. You could also camp and fish nearby. Water is fun. So is mud. Remember, rocks are not fun. Rocks are rocks. Except maybe the pretty ones.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.