Self Supported 14er Record Attempt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Self Supported 14er Record Attempt

Post by timisimaginary »

andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 am Oh man this is not garmin’s finest moment. Look at the location of that preset message from the top of el diente sheesh!
anecdotally i've heard some things on trail running forums recently about peoples Garmin watches showing funny tracks. i wonder if something could be up with one of their satellites.
there was a sunspot a couple weeks ago, makes you wonder about solar flares or something like that affecting GPS satellites too.
painless4u2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:53 am 29,028.87 ft!! Hope he has some O2...
man, just a few more feet and he could have had an elevation record too!
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Wow, doing great!!

And at a minimum Garmin should have some vertical and horizontal threshold algorithms along with some real-time elevation lookups when necessary. They can do better. Geez
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

RobLowe wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 am Andrew/Andrea/Brent/Eric/Justin/Glen/anyone: any insight into where he’s at in comparison to the record at this point or would you say it’s too soon to give an idea if he’s on track, ahead of pace, or behind?

Keep moving, Dan!
I have a little time today and will try to compare with Andrew's 14er FKT and post that later.
Aim high to end high
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

You do realize all GPS satellites are owned and controlled by the Department of Defense? They are not Garmin's.
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

RobLowe wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 am Andrew/Andrea/Brent/Eric/Justin/Glen/anyone: any insight into where he’s at in comparison to the record at this point or would you say it’s too soon to give an idea if he’s on track, ahead of pace, or behind?

Keep moving, Dan!
Yeah it's hard to say, because it doesn't directly compare to the fully supported FKTs/attempts which have a WAY more aggressive timeline. By sunrise on Day 2 I'd already gotten through Chicago Basin/Wilson/Sneffels, but that's using Ophir pass, a full crew and threw run of the Wilsons.
He's moving quite well, and early on it's hard to ever say exactly what 'pace' he's on because as Andrew and Homie can attest to, it's not Day 1-3 that are the crux, but those middle days where the slog becomes real and the fatigue builds in.

Jorts and Stephakett, there's always going to be scrutiny with any public attempt and FKT, that's the point of making it public. But what bugs me is the nitpicking of insignificant things when we don't know the actual situation. Getting a snap shot from an unreliable InReach every 10min doesn't give us the resolution to know exact starting location (until he hits the presets, that helps). So making all kinds of conjectures about him not hitting the correct altitude (+/-100ft) isn't very useful speculation unless you outright think he's lying/cheating.
The difference with Peyton Manning commenting on a football game is he's watching it happen live and has real time data to look at. Like I said, go out there, follow him around, then the commenting isn't arm chair its now direct spectator, with a lot of first hand evidence and information. Sitting behind our computer screen we're just watching it unfold in small incomplete pieces. Until you've been on the other end of this it's hard to discern how bothersome it can be. And yes, it touches a personal nerve hence my lengthy response.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

These are always great.
Human body can do so much if the brain lets it.

Great discussion too. Great insight. Love that others are providing some coaching/mentorship.

But where are the spread sheet guys?!
Shouldn't we have enough data by now?
Let's see those comparisons.

Joel
Last edited by JQDivide on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

thebeave7 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 am Until you've been on the other end of this it's hard to discern how bothersome it can be.
heh- that was the entire reason for my comment. Brent has *explicitly* been on the other side of this-- https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60265

i was just suggesting that it's not quite the same as someone like me (a mere mortal) trying to nitpick the rules and accuracy of Dan's trip. that's all :)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

painless4u2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:53 am
andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 am Oh man this is not garmin’s finest moment. Look at the location of that preset message from the top of el diente sheesh!
29,028.87 ft!! Hope he has some O2...
Same thing happened to me during a winter ascent of Columbia. Showed me 29,000’ above the valley lol
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

JQDivide wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:53 am These are always great.
Human body can do so much if the brain lets it.

Great discussion too. Great insight. Love that others are providing some coaching/mentorship.

But where are the spread sheet guys?!
Shouldn't we have enough data by now?
Let's see those comparisons.

Joel
Patience comes to those who wait; we're here, don't worry...

I'll post a comparison when he gets to ROA TH at which time there are some reasonable comparable splits.
Aim high to end high
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:20 am

Keep moving, Dan!
His original plan was actually to do the Wilson’s on day one, after Chicago basin. He told me his concern for the difficulty of the day and when he started thinking about it i think he saw some merit in giving himself an extra day in the San Juan’s and toning down his aggressiveness.

So for now he is right on schedule. Today is annoying because he will have to waste many daylight hours driving though.

Hard to judge where he is at compared to previous record because i don’t know the details/route of that one very well. Maybe he has a copy of a plan that he would send me that i could post. I’ll ask him.
Your last paragraph got me thinking, Andrew: When Peter set this record in 1995, were record setters even using devices that gave off real-time location information? Or was it limited to Cave Dog’s announce and honor system?

In just the last 6 years, these things have come a long way… my Garmin mini 2 is 38585738 times better than the Delorme I used in 2016.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:31 am
Jorts wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:14 am Guarantee I appreciate the effort more than most people on this site.
Guess you appreciate the subtlety of a fine Bourdeaux as well, while the rest of us just think "mmm, grape-y".
I'm not a sommelier so it all tastes like aged vinegar to me, but I did attempt the same FKT starting with the exact same route starting on the exact same date one year ago. I actually ran into Dan on the Columbia-Harvard traverse just a couple hours before I was stormed off Yale and decided to call it.

The biggest challenges for me were driving tired and persistent electrical storms setting me back before I pulled the plug (pun intended?). There just isn't much room for weather setbacks when "self" supported. I think Dan set himself up for success by having a van. Managing gear, food, wet clothes, etc. is hard with confined space on the go.

FWIW, he's right on schedule with the schedule I had last year. After the Wilson Group, I drove over Cinnamon Pass and spent the night at Silver Ck/Grizzly Gulch to knock out Sunshine/Redcloud/Handies then that same day did Wetterhorn and Uncompag... getting benighted on Uncompag. Drove the next morning to to Creede for San Luis - that one took forever cause of the driving and the 3000 ft rule. I don't think Dan shared his intended schedule publicly? Here's the one I came up with:
14ers schedule.png
14ers schedule.png (182.96 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Peter did not provide me the schedule or route he followed and nothing is publicly available with it. To be honest, there's hardly anything from Peter except for a blurb on the old FKT forum site saying "I followed the 3000ft rule and did this."

https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/peter- ... 1995-08-15

https://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/ ... rado-14ers
Last edited by Jorts on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

RobLowe wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:34 pm Your last paragraph got me thinking, Andrew: When Peter set this record in 1995, were record setters even using devices that gave off real-time location information? Or was it limited to Cave Dog’s announce and honor system?

In just the last 6 years, these things have come a long way… my Garmin mini 2 is 38585738 times better than the Delorme I used in 2016.
Peter didn't have one. He relied on the honor system. Just like Bill Briggs and a lot of the pioneers of the whole FKT thing.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring