Self Supported 14er Record Attempt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Self Supported 14er Record Attempt

Post by glenmiz »

Here's a comparison; I've tried to look at group splits as a way to compare Dan and Andrew (far right columns). The black splits are transitions involving beds, trains and automobiles. You can easily see for the Wilson Group an advantage of supported vs self-supported where Andrew's team picked him up at ROA after starting from Kilpacker - over 2 hours saved (no adjustment for speed on the trail). You can compare foot speed in the Chicago Basin and on Sneffels but it's also worth thinking about what time they were doing those peaks (daylight or dark).

Please let me know if I fat-fingered anything (I had to make some assumptions to get starting time and a few of the early summits). I'll post this occasionally so you can make your own observations as to whether Dan's on pace for his goal. Andrew's finish time was 9.91 days.
2022-07-06 ROA.JPG
2022-07-06 ROA.JPG (112.04 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Aim high to end high
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

RobLowe wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:34 pm Andrew: When Peter set this record in 1995, were record setters even using devices that gave off real-time location information? Or was it limited to Cave Dog’s announce and honor system?
I could be wrong but as far as i know the first person going for a 14er speed record to use a real time tracker of any sort was John Prater (Homie) in 2012. Before that you basically had to take our word for it haha…i remember how exciting it was to watch Homie in 2012 on the tracker and on 14ers.com. It made the whole thing so much more fun!

In 2003 i used a polar watch that recorded my elevation along with heart rate and time and that yielded some cool graphs but the gps tracker is obviously far superior.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

glenmiz wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:09 pm Here's a comparison; I've tried to look at group splits as a way to compare Dan and Andrew (far right columns). The black splits are transitions involving beds, trains and automobiles. You can easily see for the Wilson Group an advantage of supported vs self-supported where Andrew's team picked him up at ROA after starting from Kilpacker - over 2 hours saved (no adjustment for speed on the trail). You can compare foot speed in the Chicago Basin and on Sneffels but it's also worth thinking about what time they were doing those peaks (daylight or dark).

Please let me know if I fat-fingered anything (I had to make some assumptions to get starting time and a few of the early summits). I'll post this occasionally so you can make your own observations as to whether Dan's on pace for his goal. Andrew's finish time was 9.91 days.

2022-07-06 ROA.JPG
It's apples to oranges kind of. Self-supported is just a different animal.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Bill G wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:41 am You do realize all GPS satellites are owned and controlled by the Department of Defense? They are not Garmin's.
That's irrelevant...the problem isn't with the satellites, it's with Garmin's receiver (and maybe software). I know that my Inreach Mini sometimes takes 10 to 15 minutes to get a GPS position after turning it on, which is absurd - my cheap Android phones can get a position in a few seconds. It's a useful little device and I trust it to get me rescued if necessary, but it seems like there's something kind of funky about their GPS performance.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
glenmiz
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Jorts wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 pm
It's apples to oranges kind of. Self-supported is just a different animal.

I'm sure it is but, like apples and oranges, they both can be weighed.

Dan's goal of a bit over 14 days is about a 40% premium to Andrew's FKT. After 8 identical peaks, he's running 36% over Andrew's time. I don't mean to understate the difference in style but, for mortal nerds like me, it's kind of interesting to watch these things unfold against what seem to be ridiculous targets and use a successful FKT as a gauge. After seeing many others try and fall short, I know lot's of things can go wrong and the probabilities aren't equally weighted between success and failure but I like to try to calibrate as things progress.

I'm not going to be able to watch this one too closely, but I'm rooting for Dan and inspired by him and others for setting crazy high bars and going for them.
Aim high to end high
RichH
14ers: 43 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 am Oh man this is not garmin’s finest moment. Look at the location of that preset message from the top of el diente sheesh!
Hopefully he has a watch with 1 second GPS tracking (that he will have to continually charge). I never find my Inreach that accurate, especially when set to 10 minute GPS.

Rich
Rich
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

You should let the FKT website know when you're going for something like this. They like to watch the progress of prospective FKT's here.
(Forgive me if someone already said that, I'm not going to read through this entire thread)
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Dan's bringing that energizer bunny energy... Knocked out Handies, Sunshine and Redcloud through the night. Assuming he'll go for Wet/Unc then San Luis today. Great setup for success.
LucasR
14ers: 49 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LucasR »

Jorts wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:52 am Dan's bringing that energizer bunny energy... Knocked out Handies, Sunshine and Redcloud through the night. Assuming he'll go for Wet/Unc then San Luis today. Great setup for success.
Serious energizer bunny energy. This is exciting to watch - I hope he can keep the energy up on the drives, that is where I personally would be afraid of nodding off once I am in a comfortable seat.
glenmiz
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Going strong! Interesting loop of Redcloud and Sunshine. Looks like he's catching some sleep. Here are the details through Grizzly Gulch/Silver Creek TH for 11 of 58 peaks compared to Hamilton 2015 Supported FKT. The benefits of a support team are really starting to show. Keep it up Dan!
Hobbs 2022-07-07.JPG
Hobbs 2022-07-07.JPG (137.52 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Aim high to end high
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

glenmiz wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:45 am The benefits of a support team are really starting to show.
Meal prep, designated drivers, condition/traffic/weather reports on the fly, gear/clothes management, someone to talk to in person... You ain't kidding.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Jorts wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:36 am
glenmiz wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:45 am The benefits of a support team are really starting to show.
Meal prep, designated drivers, condition/traffic/weather reports on the fly, gear/clothes management, someone to talk to in person... You ain't kidding.
Having a driver is huge. Not falling asleep at the wheel was hard when I was finishing the 14ers. I once got pulled over outside Montrose for weaving. The cop ordered me to go directly to a hotel.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point