Fixed line in Loft Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Curve
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (2)

Fixed line in Loft Couloir

Post by Curve »

Heading down the loft yesterday and on the south side, beneath the ramp, there was an orange rope. Looked like it was fixed permanently. Anyone know who would put a fixed line there?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Fixed line in Loft Couloir

Post by justiner »

That's... strange. Could have been a SAR mission, or just someone else who was lost and just so happened to have gear. There could be a route around there, but I can't think it being a good one (one way to find out!)
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Yeah, this is unusual indeed. You can always give the rangers a note about it- https://www.nps.gov/romo/contacts.htm
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

It could also have been one of the fly-by-night guiding outfits that periodically work Longs. I've watched them short-roping clients up the trough, wouldn't be surprised if one of them decided to fix a rope.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

That's new, it wasn't there on the 30th of July. I'd report it, or claim it as booty if you want to go back.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by terrysrunning »

If memory serves, it looked to me (I saw it heading up in the morning) like it was on a ramp/ledge a few below the correct one to get to the Loft. My guess was someone took the wrong turn and got into a place they didn't like. Not being familiar with the area and having no gear myself, I wasn't inclined to follow them there to get the rope back.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I saw it too when I climbed the day before you. I thought it was odd too ... curious to see why it was there as well.