Best class 1 13ers with a child

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Best class 1 13ers with a child

Post by nyker »

Looking for anyone's recommendations for the best 13ers to do with a young child, who I'll be carrying on my back in a child carrier (at least for the next year or two until she can really start walking on a mountain and hiking on her own).

Main criteria would be to be Class 1, done as a day trip and fairly easily accessible. Sniktau is a good example that we've done already. Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

There could be some shorter ones and some longer ones once she gets used to the longer days. Could be Cents but doesn't have to be, could be Bi's, Tri's etc but good to put a dent in some more 13ers at the same time.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Best class 1 13ers with a child

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Golden Bear would be good.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 359 8 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

Square Top, Evans B, Pennsylvania, Audobon, maybe the ones off of Berthoud Pass
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Hoosier Ridge
Santa Fe/Geneva Peak
Argentine Peak (from Waldorf)
Rogers/Warren
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

bunny256 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:15 am maybe the ones off of Berthoud Pass
Flora would be about as ideal as it gets for these purposes. It is worth noting that the "real" (as in, a whole 8-10' higher) summit is NOT where the trail from Berthoud Pass ends + all the summit shelters are; it's the next bump to the north. And while it is a quick, easy stroll (it took me maybe 10-15 minutes, and I ain't setting no FKTs!), there is no actual trail or anything resembling one leading from the subsummit to the "true" one, and the little bit of rock-dancing I'm remembering seems like it could be tricky with a fully loaded child carrier. I'd definitely recommend that peak, but if you're a stickler for getting THE summit of a given mountain, I'd make sure to go with someone else of responsible child-minding age so that one of you can jog over to tag the high point while the other takes a break with the kid in one of the summit shelters and then switch off.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Excellent choice for training.

There are also plenty of class 2 (per LoJ) 13ers that don't involve scrambling, talus-hopping, or overhead hazards.

Our 15 m/o can't be bothered to walk in any particular direction yet so I'm carrying him up peaks we select based on the above factors as well as drive/hike time. I'd start with peaks you're interested in and filter them according to your (and your kid's) tolerance. Tundra summits are gold once they're toddling.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll look into them. Would be cool to combine a couple of them in one trip.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Pennsylvania is very easy, Technically a class 2 but short with mellow tundra walk with minimal gain and not too steep most of the way. Cupid too if you haven't done that with Sniktau. Some of the others mentioned also.

You can also do some scrambling with kids on your back, if you want to do more than class 1.
P7290210.JPG
P7290210.JPG (287.11 KiB) Viewed 471 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks cougar, I'm gonna see how a flatter ascent with some minor scrambling on local peaks goes first then can assess if we want to do more with her on my back after that. She has liked some shorter hikes so far!
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

cougar wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:02 pm You can also do some scrambling with kids on your back, if you want to do more than class 1.
P7290210.JPG
I hope that name of the kid in the photo is Fitz Caldwell.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

The funny thing is babies are natural climbers, they want to climb over everything and have no fear, though also don't really grasp the concept of risk yet.