14er suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrodyMac_99
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

14er suggestions

Post by BrodyMac_99 »

I’ve completed Pikes Peak and Mt Elbert. I’m now looking for a memorable hike with some exposure and scrambling. Does anyone have ideas?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: 14er suggestions

Post by nyker »

Just about any of them rated class 3 and up would fit that bill. Just depends on how far you want to travel and how long of a day you want. If you're not comfortable with too much exposure then you may want to stay away from the Class 3/4 Elks and the Crestones for now, so maybe something like Wetterhorn, Kit Carson, Sneffels or for a longer day Longs.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

I think the top 3 "Introduction to Class 3" 14er routes, IMHO, are probably: If that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

All are pretty popular, meaning they can also be relatively crowded depending on when you do them too.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

plus 1 on all 3 of the above recommendations.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Wetterhorn is your answer.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Post by MaryinColorado »

Wetterhorn and the Sawtooth are great class 3 intros.

Having done Kelso Ridge, I can't in good conscience recommend it to folks as a first C3 if they haven't done more 14ers and some scrambling prior to it. I found it to be a high commitment route - and high consequence in certain areas. Alpine Rescue sees a lot of rescue activity there.

Whatever you choose to do, my #1 recommendation would be to go with someone more experienced so you can learn C3 "protocol" and have help with route-finding.