Snowmass Rescue on Sat 8/13

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Snowmass Rescue on Sat 8/13

Post by alpinenut »

Does anyone have any information on the rescue on Sat on the W side of Snowmass? We were up there and called it in on our InReach. Just want to know if everyone is Ok. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer.
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snowmass Rescue on Sat 8/13

Post by Cide »

Saw a white heli come by Capitol en route and then a Blackhawk buzzed Capitol on it's way in that direction.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Saw some helicopters this weekend on both Sat from Capitol Lake and Sunday on Capitol. I was wondering what was going on... hoping for the best.
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

I have not heard anything about the Snowmass Rescue. I did read that on Friday a hiker passed on the Lake Thomas trail, which leads to Mt. Sopris. SAR and FFL were in the mission. Very sad.
https://www.aspentimes.com/news/hiker-d ... kes-trail/
Never,never give up!.
Jturre
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jturre »

The injured hiker was located by a classic air medical helicopter, than the colorado army national guard used a cable winch system to extract him and deliver him to the marble airstrip . West elk mountain rescue and careflight of the Rockies were waiting there to stabilize and transfer him to the hospital. Part of the ridge dislodged and he fell several hundred feet. Remember your helmets out there and thanks for the in reach activation.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

..."part of the ridge dislodged"... Could be related to the recent rains contributing to more unstable rock on a notoriously unstable mountain/range.

As Bill has reiterated, be careful out there. I know many people have their self-imposed deadlines to get certain peaks within often limited vacation time but sometimes nature has other plans where having a Plan B is a good idea.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

I am glad the hiker was rescued safely. I assume this occurred while climbing the West Slope route?
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Jturre
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jturre »

Yes Ed. It was the west slope route
Keldred14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Keldred14 »

Hi everyone,
My partner and I were out backpacking Saturday when the incident occurred. We waited until the helicopter came and rescued them. I found out from crested butte search and rescue that the women was ok, but the guy had severe injuries but was recovering in the hospital. They could only give me so many details due to HIPA laws. Very happy to hear they got them out safely. We could hear her for hrs yelling for help and felt very helpless from the ground. Luckily a group came by that had a garmin and were able to call in for a helicopter rescue.
Jturre
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jturre »

Thanks everyone who worked on getting the word out on the Mountain. In this case interestingly enough, west elk mountain rescue called in the helicopters after speaking directly to the responder on scene (as well as receiving the inreach activations from gunnison sheriff) She had some cell service up there at points. So check your bars, talking directly to the responder really helped us out. Word is good on the hikers recovery but very serious injuries. As with every incident there are reminders and lessons for the community in this one. One, having some first responder medical training. It was crucial in this incident. Two, helicopters are an amazing tool in the high country, even so, it was more than 5 hours until he was picked up. And we had a fortunate weather window. So it’s important we all still make decisions out there that don’t assume that possibility. And third, a helmet wouldn’t have changed the severity of this fall, but it could’ve taken the edge off some serious impacts. - J Turre. WEMR Team Member
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

nyker wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:39 am ..."part of the ridge dislodged"... Could be related to the recent rains contributing to more unstable rock on a notoriously unstable mountain/range.

As Bill has reiterated, be careful out there. I know many people have their self-imposed deadlines to get certain peaks within often limited vacation time but sometimes nature has other plans where having a Plan B is a good idea.
That day and the day prior saw alot of rain and there was thunderous rockfall on Capital so I wouldn't be surprised.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Jturre wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:36 pm Thanks everyone who worked on getting the word out on the Mountain. In this case interestingly enough, west elk mountain rescue called in the helicopters after speaking directly to the responder on scene (as well as receiving the inreach activations from gunnison sheriff) She had some cell service up there at points. So check your bars, talking directly to the responder really helped us out. Word is good on the hikers recovery but very serious injuries. As with every incident there are reminders and lessons for the community in this one. One, having some first responder medical training. It was crucial in this incident. Two, helicopters are an amazing tool in the high country, even so, it was more than 5 hours until he was picked up. And we had a fortunate weather window. So it’s important we all still make decisions out there that don’t assume that possibility. And third, a helmet wouldn’t have changed the severity of this fall, but it could’ve taken the edge off some serious impacts. - J Turre. WEMR Team Member
Good lessons
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche