How many airplane wrecks in IPW are there?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gerlach29
14ers: 57 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (0)

How many airplane wrecks in IPW are there?

Post by Gerlach29 »

Last weekend I hiked Mt. Audubon and Paiute Pk. in Indian Peaks Wilderness. I used the approach from Coney Flats and came across 2 plane wrecks. First one was on the lower slopes of Mt. Audubon coming up from Coney Flats. The second one I found descending down from Paiute Pk. toward the Coney Lakes. Little pieces scattered on the talus slope, two big pieces by the little lake above Upper Coney Lake. Those 2 big parts are actually visible from the summit.
Does anyone have any info about these remains? I guess I've never realized how many plane accidents happen in the mountains.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: How many airplane wrecks in IPW are there?

Post by justiner »

There's also one between Navajo and Niwot Ridge, as well as one between N Arapaho and Arikaree. I assume there's a map of them all.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

The big one is in airplane gully below Navajo and Niwot ridge. Impressive. I've seen quite a few small planes flying low over IPW. I've heard of another wreck off Hessie near Jasper. That one on Audubon I haven't heard of, and have been in that basin.

The B-17 crash sites farther north are interesting. I think they survived the fire. Apparently over 30 B-17s crashed on training flights in CO, many on private land.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Rollins pass is marked on the VFR sectional, and I assume is used by many pilots flying single engine pistons. I would use it when crossing the mountains "up north," VFR, and in a 182. I think I used it one time in the cirrus when I had good weather and didn't want to mess with an IFR flight plan.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

cougar wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:04 pm
The B-17 crash sites farther north are interesting. I think they survived the fire. Apparently over 30 B-17s crashed on training flights in CO, many on private land.

Wow
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

This is one I came across hiking up the valley between California Peak and 13,660 A. The parts of the plane are all over the place, if you like to explore plane crashes, this is an amazing hike to do. Start from Zapata falls.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19651215-0
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
conorpowderhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by conorpowderhunter »

climbingcue wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:22 am This is one I came across hiking up the valley between California Peak and 13,660 A. The parts of the plane are all over the place, if you like to explore plane crashes, this is an amazing hike to do. Start from Zapata falls.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19651215-0
Wow
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

HikerGuy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:32 pm Quite a few. https://planecrashmap.com/map/co/
Strangely, most of the wrecks I know about in the mountains aren't on that map, so there must be a lot more than the map indicates.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Scott P wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 am
HikerGuy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:32 pm Quite a few. https://planecrashmap.com/map/co/
Strangely, most of the wrecks I know about in the mountains aren't on that map, so there must be a lot more than the map indicates.
Yeah, that map is definitely not comprehensive, it only maps fatal crashes. Still, I think it's missing some of those too. The site appears to be someone's hobby project, nice interface though.
climbingyogi
14ers: 44  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingyogi »

There are quite a few mountain airplane crashes discussed in the book Playing for Real: Stories from Rocky Mountain Rescue

It's also just a really good book if you like reading about rescues/recoveries in CO.