Sunlight Spire Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Would it be nice to have Sunlight Spire be considered a 14'er?

Yes! It would be nice if one of the 14'ers required technical climbing, and make completion of the 14ers more meaningful!
23%
Yes, because if some list include North Maroon and El Diente, Sunlight should be included.
15%
No, because it would make climbing the 14'ers too hard for most people.
6%
No, because the 300 feet rule should be set in stone, and eliminates other peaks such as North Maroon and El Diente as well.
24%
I really don't care either way.
32%

Total votes: 386
jfox
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by jfox »

jeffro wrote: I think bolting that route would be a travesty. Just my very humble opinion.
+1 !!!!!
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

jfox wrote:
jeffro wrote: I think bolting that route would be a travesty. Just my very humble opinion.
+1 !!!!!
Agreed---from a sport climber.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Isn't bolting in a federal wilderness area verboten?
jfox
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfox »

Oman wrote:Isn't bolting in a federal wilderness area verboten?
I'm not sure, but there are bolted routes in National and State parks. Its just bad ju-ju to bolt naturally protectable routes. Mention this on Mountainproject.com, it'd be like kicking a hornets nest! :lol:
Daniel Trugman
14ers: 57 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Daniel Trugman »

jfox wrote:Mention this on Mountainproject.com, it'd be like kicking a hornets nest!
Oh man if they got wind of us even talking about it :shock:
Even if it was condemning the idea...
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir
MountainMan88
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainMan88 »

I voted yes because it would make the 14ers more interesting and special but also because We(Colorado)could then claim we have the hardest 14er to climb in the continental United States, beating anything in California.
bayouboy
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bayouboy »

Does it really matter? You're either going to climb it or your not. Its that easy. :roll:
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

jeffro wrote: edit: I just realized this was a 2 year old topic resurrected today...
:shock: Oh damn! That was me! My bad.... Forgive me... [-o< I guess I saw the 30 July date and away I went. Bad seach engine, bad. That's what happens when it's 5:00 AM.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

MUni Rider wrote:
jeffro wrote: edit: I just realized this was a 2 year old topic resurrected today...
:shock: Oh damn! That was me! My bad.... Forgive me... [-o< I guess I saw the 30 July date and away I went. Bad seach engine, bad. That's what happens when it's 5:00 AM.
Nah, is a cool thread to resurrect... better than the 637th post asking about the status of the Grays Trailhead. I think Bill should set up a filter that automatically deletes any new thread on that topic! :P
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
jeffro
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jeffro »

KeithK wrote:
MUni Rider wrote:
Nah, is a cool thread to resurrect... better than the 637th post asking about the status of the Grays Trailhead. I think Bill should set up a filter that automatically deletes any new thread on that topic! :P
I agree...and it was not at all my intent to call you out personally.

I was more making excuses for responding to a 2 year old post about bolting.

Definitely a good thread to re-visit.

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!
roozers42
14ers: 49 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (20)

Post by roozers42 »

Jeff - what were the feet like for the part you climbed and what you could see above?
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Definitely a good thred...I wish it were included as an official 14er. Heck, its included in my book along w/ N. Maroon and El Diente - thats all that matters. Going to see if I can trad it this coming labor day weekend :)