Sunlight Spire Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Would it be nice to have Sunlight Spire be considered a 14'er?

Yes! It would be nice if one of the 14'ers required technical climbing, and make completion of the 14ers more meaningful!
23%
Yes, because if some list include North Maroon and El Diente, Sunlight should be included.
15%
No, because it would make climbing the 14'ers too hard for most people.
6%
No, because the 300 feet rule should be set in stone, and eliminates other peaks such as North Maroon and El Diente as well.
24%
I really don't care either way.
32%

Total votes: 386
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by cedica »

Salient wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:57 am
cedica wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 pm tallgrass_prairie.jpg
Tallgrass is the one who bolted the spire, correct?
Afaik based on reports here, he cleaned up old anchor mess and put new bolt instead.

Photo above depicts lioness in tall grass drinking weizen and meditating about meaning of life, before it eats you.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

cedica wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 am
Afaik based on reports here, he cleaned up old anchor mess and put new bolt instead.

My photo above depicts lioness in tall grass drinking weizen and meditating about meaning of life (before it eats you).
That's my recollection as well. I know bolting can be controversial, esp for a trad line, but he just replaced an existing bolt. My distinct recollection is that the old bolt was, well, old (maybe a Rawl "buttonhead" or Star Dryvyn) and showing its age. It also was a summit anchor/rap bolt, not on the climb itself. He merely replaced it and cleaned up some old sling tat.

-Tom
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

He also went through the proper channels to do so - and did a 1 for 1 replacement and he drilled it in by hand!. There's absolutely nothing weird or controversial about it, it was a nice community gesture.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

:-D :-D :-D
Long live TallGrass.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Scott P wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 pm Dang, I can't believe it has been 15 years since I posted this thread. I had just turned 31 when the thread was posted. The thread reminds me of some of the old posters who have since moved on and reminded me that I miss them.
I miss you too. I haven't moved on to other things, just not posting a lot and mostly staying away from 14ers. I don't like pulling into a trailhead with 257 of my closest friends. :-D I have two daughters now and they love hiking the high peaks of CO. Just need to work them up to the long hikes. About 5 miles RT and 1500-2000 vert is about their limit. I will be out there a lot more this summer as we are preparing for a trip to Kili in October.

I love getting one of these notifications every once in a while and taking trips down memory lane.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Regarding the original topic, it may be a weenie thing to say, but I'd personally change the 300' rule to something more moderate like 150 or 200' which would make Sunlight Spire a 14er. A lot of people would probably disagree, but regardless I'd still like to climb Sunlight Spire at some point in the future.
Be the best you that you can be.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

justiner wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:21 am He also went through the proper channels to do so - and did a 1 for 1 replacement and he drilled it in by hand!. There's absolutely nothing weird or controversial about it, it was a nice community gesture.
I'm hoping to maybe do the Spire this summer. Most likely as an aid climb. Do you have any beta on this bolt Justiner? I assume it's at the top for a rap?
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

davebobk47 wrote: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:22 pm What's the width on that crack? Good size for a hand jam? That would be a fun climb.
It looks like a fun climb.... if I was still in my 30ies. At 61, that could be difficult to accomplish.

At least, there will probably not be very many days where the summit will be crowded.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I thought the captain bolted it when he was 5.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

justiner wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:21 am He also went through the proper channels to do so - and did a 1 for 1 replacement and he drilled it in by hand!. There's absolutely nothing weird or controversial about it, it was a nice community gesture.
Glad to hear something nice being said about Tallgrass on this forum. Especially, from a respected 14'er member like justiner. It's refreshing for this site.

Curious does anyone know why he was banned from this forum? Tallgrass claims he doesn't even know. Never got a notification or reason, just banned.

Perhaps we should rename the Spire to Tallgrass in his honor. When you're looking at it, the Spire does resemble a tall blade of grass amongst the Kansas plains.

To agree with a couple of other folks on here. The Spire is a high point / bump on a ridge. What makes the Spire be considered a 14'er or mountain, when there are so many other high points / bumps out there? Because it simply looks cool? Challenging? Just the thought of "What if it were a 14'er!" I probably answered my own question but maybe there's another, more technical answer?
I should be on a mountain
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

And why was the replacement of the bolt by Tallgrass controversial?
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

jrs1965 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:32 pm
I'm hoping to maybe do the Spire this summer. Most likely as an aid climb. Do you have any beta on this bolt Justiner? I assume it's at the top for a rap?
Yeah, it's at the top anchor to rap off of. I wanna say there was a small, older bolt that was removed and a newer one put in its place. There's some fixed gear in there as well. I'm sure it's fine for rapping off of. As an aid climb, it would go totally clean. If you can get a list of the exact sizes you needed, I bet you could bring a very minimal kit with you, so you don't have to hump up a whole big wall kit. The crack looks really bomber, so you could probably aid solo it with a lot of confidence. Sorry I don't have those sizes. I'd be interested in doing the crack as a free climb, if we can do it sub-24 :lol: If it's IC grades, it's not out of the realm of mediocre climber abilities.