Jupiter Mountain to Windom

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ish
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Jupiter Mountain to Windom

Post by Ish »

Has anyone here ever attempted the traverse from Jupiter Mountain to Windom? The route looks steep and loose but perhaps doable at around a 4th class difficulty when looking at aerials. I'm wondering if it's ever been done.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Jupiter Mountain to Windom

Post by TravelingMatt »

Yes:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't end up doing it myself, though. I climbed Jupiter separately the day after doing the trio of 14ers.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Ish
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ish »

excellent, thanks!
- Neil Young -
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Looks like some of the links are dead.

If you're going back there to do all the 14ers plus Jupiter, I think doing all the 14ers at once is the better option. I was pretty tired on Jupiter and was glad I wasn't attempting Eolus instead. Standard route on Jupiter is easy Class 2 until the last 50 feet.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I've been researching this myself...I plan to tag Windom and then pick my line coming down the ridge to head over to Jupiter and then descend the normal Jupiter route. I'm hoping to be back there mid next week. I'll post up probably mid July when I get back from my trip, if that helps in time for your trip.
Ish
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ish »

I've been back there and summited Eolus, N. Eolus, and Sunlight. We got caught in a terrible storm during the trip over to do Windom after Sunlight and had to walk outta there the next morning because of prior commitments.

I enjoy the train but I've taken it on multiple occasions and pretty thoroughly explored that area so I was looking for a different way to summit Windom and get a centennial while I'm at it. I'm looking at backpacking in and camping at Hazel Lake.

I'm looking at August so please let me know if you attempt it Conor.

Thanks!
- Neil Young -
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I linked Jupiter and Sunlight together by descending one of the dry couloirs. The route actually crossed Windom's standard route. Very doable linkup.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

SnowAlien wrote:I linked Jupiter and Sunlight together by descending one of the dry couloirs. The route actually crossed Windom's standard route. Very doable linkup.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool, I think I remember seeing your trip report before. So, looks like you descended Europa and then up the saddle next to peak 18?
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

<thread necromancy>

fwiw, I also found that you can easily climb Jupiter from Windom by descending only to 13k in the basin between them

A direct ridge traverse looked *very* technical, involving multiple vertical rappels in the Windom>Jupiter direction.

But the basin route is not bad at all (class 2, and not as loose as it looks). In fact, it's seems a bit better than the standard route, which is loose dirt and grass. (only assuming you were already on Windom; I wouldn't recommend trying to gain the couloir route all the way from your campsite in Chicago Basin).

You cannot descend via the saddle immediately west of Windom. It cliffs out. You must descend via the saddle between Peak Eighteen and the little hump east of it.

https://caltopo.com/m/0SDGS
LAW
14ers: 57  12  1 
13ers: 87 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LAW »

From high camp west of Jupiter, std route up Jupiter. I linked Jupiter to Windom by downclimbing gulley from Jupiter to traverse as high as possible to Windom's shoulder and std route, then downclimbed gulley on Windom to traverse to Sunlight, then std route from Sunlight to Eolus and return to camp.