Nolans questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Nolans questions

Post by LarryM »

Some questions about Nolans.

(1) Do people who aren't capable of realistically completing it in 60 hours still take the challenge to see how many they can do? I was thinking of maybe trying it next year, with further training and recon, with the goal of getting 9 or 10 of 14 in 60 hours. Or is even that too ambitious for someone who is just getting started in long distance trail running?

(2) Where is the best place to find information about the route (N to S)? I gather there are significant off trail portions.

(3) If anyone is doing recon or an attempt and needs some support, I would be interested in helping. No 4WD and probably not quite fast enough to keep up, so I'm not sure how helpful I'd be, but I'm willing to help if I can.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Nolans questions

Post by thebeave7 »

http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(1) They certainly do, if you look at Matt's site you'll notice many of the original and recent attempts are for 3-9peaks. I don't think its unreasonable to head out and just see what you can do (with a little scouting and training). To me the scouting was the most fun part.

(2) Matt's sight has lots of good info (and links to Trip Reports), my trip report is another place to start as well...
http://ericjlee.com/Trip%20Reports/2012 ... 0Long.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(3) Larry I'll PM you as there groups on Facebook for organizing scouting runs/hikes and a larger attempt in a few weeks with many participants.

Eric Lee
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
weakenedwarrior
14ers: 32  1  15 
13ers: 34 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weakenedwarrior »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:23 pm Bump. GPX anyone? I’m aware this is 6yo but the search function only provides so much.
There are several GPX files on Matt Mahoney's website. There's one on the FKT website too. A quick google search also leads to one on caltopo.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 pm Thank you sir, I have mucho grande research to do this year. I like the simplicity of Matt’s website.
Matt's site has all sorts of goodies beyond Nolan's, e.g. the story of Gravel Man.