Pikes Peak Summit house options

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pikes Peak Summit house options

Post by kman »

Some additional information, including video news clip:
http://fox21news.com/2015/12/17/broadmo ... t-complex/
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Interestingly they mention the Ring the Peak trail, which has nothing to do with this project, but was in the context of somewhat of a promise that they'll be working on that, too. Yay.
“I think one of the potentialities is where going to complete a circle around the peak for bike riding, like a three day trip. I can see that being an international tourism attraction,” said Suthers.
It doesn't really go into how the Mayor is going to work with the holdouts that are stopping the Ring the Peak trail from being finished though.

The 3d flyby renderings look either (1 really ugly or, (2 really impossible to build.
jesusfreak1824
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesusfreak1824 »

kman wrote:Some additional information, including video news clip:
http://fox21news.com/2015/12/17/broadmo ... t-complex/
Thanks for posting this kman!

At the bottom of this page, there is a voting section where you can vote for which of the 4 proposed summit houses should be built on top of the peak. Unfortunately, to all of our fears...number 3 is the highest voted choice...most likely from voters who have no interest in the peak at all, they just want a fancy new building from which to gawk at the summit.

So if you guys have a minute, maybe go to that site and vote for which one doesn't make Pikes Peak look like an obnoxious consumer trap.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
"Climbing brings nothing to humanity. I climb for myself and for the joy of the sport." -Ueli Steck
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
juliankowa
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by juliankowa »

I was just there this past August. At first I thought that parking would be difficult but there was enough. This was on a weekday I can probably imagine what itz like on the weekends! I am from out of town but make it a point to visit Pike's peak every opportunity. Almost Every year since 1972.
We have to face the facts that everywhere is getting more crowded and there is nothing we can do about it.
Oh yea we have limited our birth rate to 1 or 2 (I confess I have 3) but low population birth rate is bad for business. So our betters have deemed it necessary to import others in order for growth to continue.
So yes ( I am speaking cynically ) build the largest structure to hold the greatest amount of people because that is what will be needed in the not to distant future.
Flatlander born in the mountains ( Alps )
mrvwbug
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mrvwbug »

The design of the Messner Museum is not bad, it looks like a part of the mountain, I'm sure if it were garish or gaudy Messner would never have approved it (given his perchant for forgoing things like supplemental oxygen on his Himalayan ascents).
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

jesusfreak1824 wrote:At the bottom of this page, there is a voting section where you can vote for which of the 4 proposed summit houses should be built on top of the peak. Unfortunately, to all of our fears...number 3 is the highest voted choice...most likely from voters who have no interest in the peak at all, they just want a fancy new building from which to gawk at the summit.
I see that #3 has dropped to third place. #1 is now leading. Not that it is going to really affect the choice, mind you...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Next Meeting, Tuesday, January 26, 2016 from 5:30pm - 7:30pm with one presentation at 6:00pm. Location:
El Pomar
Carriage House
1661 Mesa Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Here's the one they chose:
Summit House Pikes Peak.jpg
Summit House Pikes Peak.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'll be skiing that roof!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

Looks like an old grade school. boo
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

I don't really have much trust in the CO Springs city government to make the ethical choice on matters of conservation and preservation.
Justiner, Nobody does.
More Colorado than the Natives.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Richard Derkase wrote:
dsunwall wrote:Looks like an old grade school. boo
You'd make a good architectural critic.

Dick